Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

9 hours ago, keechiu said:

Is there any way to check besides calling up cycle and carriage?

I can understand your anxiety to fix the problem. Why not give C&C service dept a call and ask if you can pay them a fee to diagnose your car. 

If you later decide to let them repair for you, request them to waive off the consulting fee. This is what i did with my previous car many years ago.

Outside WS give me all sorts of 2nd guessing and i was not ready to try and error because it wasn't cheap. 

Edited by Roh96
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Roh96 said:

I can understand your anxiety to fix the problem. Why not give C&C service dept a call and ask if you can pay them a fee to diagnose your car. 

If you later decide to let them repair for you, request them to waive off the consulting fee. This is what i did with my previous car many years ago.

Outside WS give me all sorts of 2nd guessing and i was not ready to trial and error because it wasn't cheap. 

Can try get them to dignose the problem, the fees is not expensive,  but they may not be able to pin point the problem and start suggesting to replace a few  suspected items  as well. They will let you decide to proceed with the replacement or not. 

On 1/23/2021 at 12:13 PM, Tohto said:

COE renewal with 5 owners with mileage of only 120K, I don't thrust it. That might be the caused of the problem you are facing.  Car has a lot more higher mileage. 

Like what people say, when you buy over a used car you also buy over the problem. But sometimes we have no choice but to get a used car due to financial consideration.

I don't like to rub salt but clearly choosing a car with 5 owners and low mileage? But what can Keechiu do other than fixing the problem and move on..

• Praise 6

4 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

Can try get them to dignose the problem, the fees is not expensive,  but they may not be able to pin point the problem and start suggesting to replace a few  suspected items  as well. They will let you decide to proceed with the replacement or not. 

So the question is whether you trust the assessment from C&C or outside WS. I will choose C&C, they deal with this model day in day out for years, they are suppose to be guru.

• Praise 1

3 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Never knew Mercedes can be so problematic with sensor issues, although I know BMW is notorious for electrical issues.

To me, milage is unknown for this car.

5 owners for 10 years and only 120k. impossible. 

One owner may have low mileage but a total of 5 owners and everyone is low mileage owners is very unlikely.

If the mileage is true and with 5 owners, it said a lot for this car condition. Too many problems that why keep changes owners.

• Praise 5
  • Haha! 1

I feel sorry for TS. What is supposed to be a happy first time car buying experience and joyful acquisition of a set of wheels has somewhat turned sour.

However, I think it was a missed opportunity for him. He chose rightly to come here to seek advice and many of us here has advised caution and offered useful tips and information over several pages here. I said in this same thread to avoid COE cars and against buying prestige Conti marques as a first timer. I also suggested a 5-year old BnB car with his then $45k budget. I even PM him to offer my help to guide him along, seeing that he seemed like a genuine guy that needed help. Unfortunately TS decided to go his own way and make his own choices based on his own limited information and knowledge.

I am sorry if I sound like I am rubbing salt into a wound, but I would say again that TS did not listen enough to us despite all the well-being advice that we have all taken time to share with him. 

We would have never said it's ok to buy a COE C180k with 5 owners and 120k km mileage. We would have smelt a rat from here.

I would have spent the $65k on a 5-year old Mazda 6 and be very happily driving it around.

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 11
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

I feel sorry for TS. What is supposed to be a happy first time car buying experience and joyful acquisition of a set of wheels has somewhat turned sour.

However, I think it was a missed opportunity for him. He chose rightly to come here to seek advice and many of us here has advised caution and offered useful tips and information over several pages here. I said in this same thread to avoid COE cars and against buying prestige Conti marques as a first timer. I also suggested a 5-year old BnB car with his then $45k budget. I even PM him to offer my help to guide him along, seeing that he seemed like a genuine guy that needed help. Unfortunately TS decided to go his own way and make his own choices based on his own limited information and knowledge.

I am sorry if I sound like I am rubbing salt into a wound, but I would say again that TS did not listen enough to us despite all the well-being advice that we have all taken time to share with him. 

We would have never said it's ok to buy a COE C180k with 5 owners and 120k km mileage. We would have smelt a rat from here.

I would have spent the $65k on a 5-year old Mazda 6 and be very happily driving it around.

i thought you were gonna add this phrase in too. 不听老人言,吃亏在眼前. 😂

• Haha! 6

somewhat beg to differ la.....if say his total repair cost is within 10k, total cost 75k...still ok for a taste of merc ownership.

but if every month visit workshop then its a diff story..

for me i dun buy into a merc is more reliable. once its used, everything is down to the previous owners. if kena one cheapo, everything use cheap, skip oil change, use recond then jialatz..

• Praise 3

4 hours ago, Roh96 said:

Outside WS give me all sorts of 2nd guessing and i was not ready to try and error because it wasn't cheap. 

4 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

already called them and they charge $400 to do the diagnostic. 

36 minutes ago, Scholesy said:

somewhat beg to differ la.....if say his total repair cost is within 10k, total cost 75k...still ok for a taste of merc ownership.

but if every month visit workshop then its a diff story..

for me i dun buy into a merc is more reliable. once its used, everything is down to the previous owners. if kena one cheapo, everything use cheap, skip oil change, use recond then jialatz..

for me its not only the money issue. i have said in the past that even if the there is full warranty, so what. First i don't have a driver to send the car down and pick it up. Secondly one is inconvenienced without a car for how ever long it needs to be fixed. If there is a loaner car, it will more or less remove point 2, but at the end one will also be frustrated as one has paid good money for the product he has bought and expects to enjoy driving it and not a loaner.

• Praise 4

It is likely the car will on sale with a history of 6 owners and mileage of 80k very soon.

An ageing COE continental car carries a high financial risk.

1st car is best to buy those that are 9+ years old Japanese car if one is on a budget.

• Praise 5

1 hour ago, keechiu said:

You can try Chip Soon at Tampines.

Disclaimer - Not related to them or promoting them but read in thread some favorable feedback.

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, keechiu said:

Not cheap. I remember last time Kah Motor charged $150 or so. After their assessment, i decided to let them do the repair and they waived the consulting fee. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Roh96 said:

Not cheap. I remember last time Kah Motor charged $150 or so. After their assessment, i decided to let them do the repair and they waived the consulting fee. 

That’s why it’s C&C.  Made some money off their shares recently. Thanks to many merc supporters giving them good business. 😀

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

8 hours ago, Roh96 said:

So the question is whether you trust the assessment from C&C or outside WS. I will choose C&C, they deal with this model day in day out for years, they are suppose to be guru.

Mercedes owners find cnc expensive.  That's why they let outside workshop treat their cars like genie 🐖 

On 14/12/2020 at 9:53 AM, Naimed said:

There are a few 1-owner (low to average mileage) C180K in the market. Hope you got one of those. If this unit comes back with a C grade, perhaps you can reconsider the C200k. If you have multiple drivers/passengers, the electronic memory seats are very handy. Power wise, I don't think C180k and C200k are that much different in Singapore's city driving. 

STA's inspection is quite superficial - checks for the usual leaks, body/paint damages, wear and tear...etc and I don't think they have Xentry tool to scan for existing or old fault codes. FYI.

If that's the case , go to a good workshop instead of STA

7 hours ago, keechiu said:

Hi Bro

Sorry to hear all the problems you are having 

Have walked the path before. Same car, same model, multiple problems kept coming up

Instead of going round and round workshops and spending money to change parts A to Z (throttle etc) like I did,

bite your teeth, just send to C & C and let them re programme and sort out the problems

• Praise 5

21 hours ago, Car_byte said:

You can try Chip Soon at Tampines.

Disclaimer - Not related to them or promoting them but read in thread some favorable feedback.

would second this .. have used them and found them to be competent and reasonable ..

also not related to them hahaha 

• Praise 1

Neutral Newbie

I'm also looking to buy a used car and have read all 15 pages of this thread. Basically most of the advices are:

- Jap/ Kor make and the known reliable models
- Lowest transfer count possible
- Beware of mileage tampering 
- Look out for dents, stains and spills when inspecting the car 

And then... TS decided to ignore all that and went for the badge.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1