Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

Lucky all the people here are doctors and bankers and directors.

If you all became used car dealers I think I no make money anymore.

You all so good at convincing people to buy a Conti or a Jap.

:D

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

i remember watching a video on the scotty.

he mention how hard it is to fix a leaking coolant pipe or hose ( something like that on a posh i think )

then he meet his friend mech that work in the AD . and he know why its so hard and he feel damn stupid.

cos  they suppose to remove the whole engine to fix that pipe.

its totally true, this give newbie an ideal of the different between conti and jap. 

of course when u spend so much effort and money to remove the whole engine, the mech not gonna ask u change just 1 leaking pipe,

they gonna ask u change everything as a precaution so that there is no need to keep removing the engine. 

• Haha! 1

Anyone drive Nissan Latio and can share with us where the spark plugs are and how difficult to change them?

• Haha! 1

Neutral Newbie

Sorry for hijacking this thread. How do i go about creating a new thread regarding opinions of vehicle model for 2nd hand car? I am looking to get one in the near future.

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Lucky all the people here are doctors and bankers and directors.

If you all became used car dealers I think I no make money anymore.

You all so good at convincing people to buy a Conti or a Jap.

That's why I am seriously considering becoming a used car dealer. Lucrative and a sure proof way of becoming a multi millionaire. Who knows I may even become the next Karsono Kwee? Anyone wants to partner me ? Let's talk over kopi:)

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
19 minutes ago, AikL91 said:

Sorry for hijacking this thread. How do i go about creating a new thread regarding opinions of vehicle model for 2nd hand car? I am looking to get one in the near future.

Hi. I see you're new to the forum so you have to clock a certain number of posts first before you can start a new thread. BUT, you can post your question and I'll help you to split into a new topic.

On 6/24/2021 at 12:00 AM, Aventa said:

What do you all think of renewed W204 C180?
In the depreciation range of 6-8k
Factor in 10k extra for repairs that wouldn't have been needed, if it wasn't an old COE car, just so it can last another 10 years.
Road tax 150% & FC isn't that bad for this model too

Total cost 70-90k for fresh 10 years (In today's market can only buy Fit, Note, Attrage, Bezza etc)

Worth considering? 😃

standby 20k for repair more realistic

u be surprised by conti wear after 10 years 

• Praise 1

(edited)
5 hours ago, lexiton said:

standby 20k for repair more realistic

u be surprised by conti wear after 10 years 

really ?  can you be more specific in those  conti brands and models  you have driven that have cost you so much? and how much in estimate has each of them  costed you? This would help MCFers here to  make a more informed decision. 

Edited by Ct3833

Not spreading fear.. in the first place.. how to find a well taken care Conti unless you know the owner personally and know how he take care of the vehicle? You can send the car to workshop for checks.... but there are still hidden problems waiting to be unveiled only after you bought the car

21 hours ago, Hamburger said:

In general, a well taken care conti, especially a merc/bimmer is just as reliable as any jap car. 

Don't spread fear lei. 

If I could find a good unit, I would choose it over a bnb jap/kimchi car, no doubt. 

• Praise 2

All cars have hidden issues.

Only surface up after you drive for quite awhile / 1st crank of the day / heavy rain leak issue / faulty bulb burst and many more

Physical see and touch by the mechanics can only capture 60-70% accuracy.

Issue is the workman fee for conti and jap is difference (between a merc and a vios)

Replacement parts (original / OEM / Re-con) is also another issue 

• Praise 1

(edited)
1 hour ago, Sunset73 said:

Not spreading fear.. in the first place.. how to find a well taken care Conti unless you know the owner personally and know how he take care of the vehicle? You can send the car to workshop for checks.... but there are still hidden problems waiting to be unveiled only after you bought the car

Guess it's best for majority to stick to bnb cars then. 

Can't stomach repairs, just get new or stay away from conti. 

I bought numerous conti cars and it was an informed decision that I get to live with and enjoy. Cheers. 

Sometimes its the joy of putting back a car to its near pristine condition that rewards you on its drivability and handling. That to me is intangible joy. 

Edited by Hamburger
  • Praise 6
  • Haha! 3

1 hour ago, Sunset73 said:

haha, mai spread fear lah, I bought a 1 owner conti, maintained by agent all the way for 8 years before i took over. I dont know the owner. I bought the car from Fulco. 
but i agree, history of a car is important, but that does not mean that a Japanese car no need proper maintenance . 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

No matter how well a car is faithfully serviced, the maintenance cost for an old car is naturally higher as it ages. We are talking about COE renewed cars, you expect parts like aircon, gearbox, electronic components to last 20 yrs meh? At some point you will need to change or rebuild those parts. 

• Praise 4

Twincharged
(edited)
2 hours ago, Sunset73 said:

part of it is to check and the other is luck of the draw. i have my share of conti. maybe i'm sway. but generally they need more $$ to fix and get right.

used cars will have things to fix, in the end, it will be down to opportunity cost to fix + cheaper depre vs brand new depreciation. Some like the fun to fix, while others don't. some like the feel of an older rarer car, thus they buy used even when they can easily afford new.

so as long as you go in with the expectation of a COE needing some $$ to fix, any savings is a bonus

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 4

(edited)
16 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

really ?  can you be more specific in those  conti brands and models  you have driven that have cost you so much? and how much in estimate has each of them  costed you? This would help MCFers here to  make a more informed decision. 

i have friends driving COE/old conti alr spend that amount and rising,  vw, merc, bmw , audi 

too many to list tbh can do a google search easily

i myself driven jetta before as well sure its a solid ride but the maintenance repairs and frequent trip to WS not worth it imo.

Edited by lexiton
  • Praise 1