Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

Went to do a quick search for PARF cars 30-45k range, saw two Renault Fluence Diesel... Cheaper than Attrage leh... Anybody got comments on whether that's good ah or got reason why it's price so low?

the 90k km one prob is a PHV with genuine mileage, the 40k km one also sama same but with questionable mileage - https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=917965&DL=3591 (It's agent maintained so can try your luck to see if they will verify the mileage)

image.thumb.png.d4564cc5764eb6b3dfb634c9919b1280.png

Edited by yellowshaun
↡ Advertisement

Cars with diesel engines are very, very expensive to repair. 

Plus 3 owners in a span of 3+ years is already a very clear warning sign of the high maintenance costs. 

That's why the selling price is cheap - coz nobody wants a diesel engine car. 

Edited by Comage
  • Praise 1

2 hours ago, Newbie26 said:

Depending on luck, after taking into account the cost of additional repairs, the annual depr may not be much different bet coe/prf cars and bet used parf/new cars 

Money aside, Going to workshop regularly and getting stranded on the road are the worst

Used to visit workshop every month so many times for my old conti until practically almost every component of the engine/parts has been changed (throttle, engine gasket, coolant tank, hose, etc etc etc) and even after all these, one day the car stalled in the middle of busy road. That was the last straw.  

Which model is that?

6 minutes ago, Comage said:

Plus 3 owners in a span of 3+ years is already a very clear warning sign of the high maintenance costs. 

oh thats very interesting! Tot with the amount of taxis in SG, that shouldnt be the case, but maybe the taxi workshops arent open to public ah?

10 minutes ago, Comage said:

I have the same thinking as you. I always believe that things are selling cheap for a reason, especially like cars.

12 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

oh thats very interesting! Tot with the amount of taxis in SG, that shouldnt be the case, but maybe the taxi workshops arent open to public ah?

Taxi companies are now moving to hybrid & EV fleets like prius & ioniq, they have forsake diesel vehicles.

22 minutes ago, Sugimoto said:

Taxi companies are now moving to hybrid & EV fleets like prius & ioniq, they have forsake diesel vehicles.

LTA already told them to drop diesel. Some may not be aware, they scrapped some of their diesel at 5 year age and replace them with hybrid.   that explains why there are fewer diesel taxi on the road. 

13 hours ago, Mooose said:

on paper, buying a coe conti car may not be much more expensive than a coe B&B car, but when something goes wrong, it may (or may not) cost more than the owner may have anticipated.

it is really a pain and disappointment to not be able to afford the proper repairs to get the car into the shape and look it was meant to be ..

i mean, many people would like to drive a conti for the image but if the car isnt in (or cant afford to be put in) that "lofty prestigious" image of the conti, it may look be than driving a B&B car.

just my own thoughts ..

seriously, i dont think it will be so scary. More worrying should be things that  cannot be repaired, problems that cannot be identified😊.  My COE conti  car is  1.5 year now, I will let you know in a few years time whether i would regret with my decision.  But meantime, steady , no fear😅

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

13 hours ago, Roh96 said:

Why 2014 and 2015 parf cars are asking higher dep? As the car gets older, the dep gets higher, it doesn't make sense to me leh. Those cars in 2012 and 2013 also asking for high dep. 

For me, i will choose a COE car vs parf car (those 2014/2015). In fact, i just bought a COE car recently, the car was renewed for 10 yrs and the yearly depre worked out to be just below $5K. There are good condition COE cars out there, you just need to search carefully. Of cos you also need some luck in the process. 

COE price between 2014 and 2015 are around  high 50+k to 70+k, for those 70+K COEs, the COE depre alone would be 7k per year  before  PARF write of, how to be cheap?  Any cars that is  cheaper than paper value would have been scrapped. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

COE price between 2014 and 2015 are around  high 50+k to 70+k, for those 70+K COEs, the COE depre alone would be 7k per year  before the PARF write of, how to be cheap?  Any cars that is  cheaper than paper value would have been scrapped. 

Oh yah you are right, those were the years of high COE.

• Praise 1

54 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

seriously, i dont think it will be so scary. More worrying should be things that  cannot be repaired, problems that cannot be identified😊.  My COE conti  car is  1.5 year now, I will let you know in a few years time whether i would regret with my decision.  But meantime, steady , no fear😅

Haha must compare apple with apple la! 1.5 year old and 15 year old car leh the wear and tear day and night =D

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, yellowshaun said:

The Renault Diesels are omnipresent in the form of Nissan NV200.

The problem lies in the 6 speed EDC, which did end up being fried on some buyers.

I thought that buying the Fluence is a fine deal, given that if you press down 1 or 2k more and its just 3k about paper. Push it into Marina Barrage if the EDC is fried.

And honestly Renaults are accomplished cars, so for that price its good to go.

I think @teomingern may be in the know of any problems of the Fluence since he (I mean his father) also has one aside from the Sonata.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Haha must compare apple with apple la! 1.5 year old and 15 year old car leh the wear and tear day and night =D

guaranteed original apple to apple lah, mine is COE car, meaning 11.5 years already, I  have  no money for 1.5 year flashy car for sure. 

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

15 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

I remembered his E class is car is 115 years old.

I mean 11.5 years old.

I fail my math to the extent that I dont know how to use decimal places. 😭

*Ok I said nothing :/*

Edited by Brass
  • Haha! 2

Not advisable to get French cars due to “supposed” poor reliability records for French car brands once they are 5 years old or more. If really have to choose between the 2, take the Peugeot over the Citroen.. Recommended to stick to Japanese or Korean cars.

• Praise 2

39 minutes ago, Confusedboi said:

Not advisable to get French cars due to “supposed” poor reliability records for French car brands once they are 5 years old or more. If really have to choose between the 2, take the Peugeot over the Citroen.. Recommended to stick to Japanese or Korean cars.

I did read of their reliability issues.  Anyway French cars dun sell well in spore 

↡ Advertisement