Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

13 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

This BM should be a good choice  but any thought why this BM's COE  is not renewed before it is put up for sale and it is sold at this relatively low price? Some of the more popular brands are being renewed COE even more than 1 year ahead of its coe is due  for scrap.

Yes definitely suspicious:

- Probably something major/critical is breaking soon and the owner/dealer knows it. So the price is just $4k above PARF rebate value to get rid of it quickly
- 1 prior owner - this point I would suggest to have the dealer bring up the vehicle log card on the LTA website to confirm this.

I have ever been conned before (coincidentally by one of the dealers found at this shopping centre) where the advert listed 1 prior owner - but in the end when I paid the deposit over I found that I was the 3rd owner!!! Imagine that!

↡ Advertisement

11 hours ago, Aventa said:

I've observed several car listings online and the roads..

Why do motorist prefer to buy COE renewed version of the 2006-2012 Camry (2.0 or 2.4L) instead of the 2005 - 2010 Mark X (2.5L)?

Imho, Mark X 2.5L road tax vs Camry 2.4L road tax is similar.

Mark X fuel consumption could be similar / better than Camry as it's 6 speed vs 4 speed.

Interior & Exterior size similar (~10-15cm difference for exterior)

Mark X V6 Engine with 21x horsepower definitely beats Camry IL4 16x horsepower hands down

This one is easy - the Camry is still easier on the wallet as a COE car compared to the Mark X.

Haven't seen many Mark X's around the roads if you'd noticed - so obviously repairs and maintenance are gonna be costly compared to the Camry.

For people who goes for COE cars (either renew or buy COE car) - cost is definitely one factor in mind.
Although the Mark X is more "satki" to own, but if you only have the budget (or are willing to budget that much) between Camry and Mark X, it's definitely gonna be the Camry.

• Praise 1

12 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Mark x is rwd and has huge rear transmission tunnel. Camry more popular as it has better fc and also partly camry was sold by borneo

12 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

markx interior is more cramped.

its drives better but parts are more ex to replace in general.

11 hours ago, 601F said:

Agree with you, as I am a car enthusiast. Between Mark X and Camry, I'll choose Mark X any day. 

But I guess to most Camry buyers, driving experience doesn't matter much. They rather have bigger interior, slightly lower price. Road tax wise, most Camry are 2.0L, the difference from 15th year onwards can be almost 1k per year. 

9 hours ago, Fitvip said:

I thought Mark X is a 4-seater?

This one is easy - the Camry is still easier on the wallet as a COE car compared to the Mark X.

Haven't seen many Mark X's around the roads if you'd noticed - so obviously repairs and maintenance are gonna be costly compared to the Camry.

For people who goes for COE cars (either renew or buy COE car) - cost is definitely one factor in mind.
Although the Mark X is more "satki" to own, but if you only have the budget (or are willing to budget that much) between Camry and Mark X, it's definitely gonna be the Camry.

---

Thanks for the reply guys. Was helping my friend to test drive & test passenger for both the old Mark X & Camry.
I myself preferred the Mark X due to the driver experience and looks sportier.. Did some further research that it's the same engine & gearbox as IS250 and same chassis as GS300..

Price wise almost similar or only +-$500 depre/year but maintenance might differ due to basic IL4 engine and V6 engine and possible the simple FWD system compared to RWD

Seems like most Camry drivers prefers the larger interior cabin space which I can agree with... But the power difference is quite addictive hahah. Depends on the demographic of the buyer I guess.

Edited by Aventa
  • Praise 3

Try to go for a renewed 10 years COE car, as it'll be easier to sell if you do not drive the full 10 years. Renewed 5 years COE car will have to be scrapped when COE is up.
And if you're going for renewed COE car, try not to go for the lower end turbo charged cars. They will give you alot of problems.
And based on your budget, i would recommend you look at any 2l NA cars with 10yrs renewed COE. i.e camry/accord. (within 45k budget)
Road tax will kill you if you go beyond 2l. my is250 road tax for year 11 is $2k every year.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=941261&DL=3635
https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=907299&DL=3401

• Praise 1

9 hours ago, q1n3fer said:

Try to go for a renewed 10 years COE car, as it'll be easier to sell if you do not drive the full 10 years. Renewed 5 years COE car will have to be scrapped when COE is up.
And if you're going for renewed COE car, try not to go for the lower end turbo charged cars. They will give you alot of problems.
And based on your budget, i would recommend you look at any 2l NA cars with 10yrs renewed COE. i.e camry/accord. (within 45k budget)
Road tax will kill you if you go beyond 2l. my is250 road tax for year 11 is $2k every year.

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=941261&DL=3635
https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=907299&DL=3401

Why would a COE car be easier to sell? I'm assuming you meant to say - "...compared to a PARF car"?

Edited by Comage

13 hours ago, Comage said:

Why would a COE car be easier to sell? I'm assuming you meant to say - "...compared to a PARF car"?

i meant comparing a 5yrs renewed COE car to a 10yrs renewed COE car. His subject was "which COE car to buy"
so i assume he is not looking at PARF cars

Edited by q1n3fer
  • Praise 2

On 11/9/2020 at 5:22 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

I suggest TS should set and use an annual ownership costs (Depre + RoadTax + Expected Repair/Maintenance + Expected FC) instead of saying the budget is $40k-$45k. The choice is too wide - from a run-of-the-mill Camry to a future classic like a 30-year old MB 230CE.

Say TS needs a COE spacious premium saloon, my choice would be a MB W212 E200 or E250. At about $7-8k depre, its safe, solid, well-made and relatively reliable. And using the 3-pointed star as a gunsight as you drive down the road...its very satisfying 😁

If it doesnt have to be a COE car, I would advise TS not to go there as a 1st time car owner. Buy a 5-7 year old Mazda 6 or similar large Jap/Korean car and take it from there. Speak with your car owning friends and continue to do research online and visit enough used car dealers to gain experience.

Miss out the first generation Audi TT in that list

• Haha! 1

12 minutes ago, q1n3fer said:

i meant comparing a 5yrs renewed COE car to a 10yrs renewed COE car. His subject was "which COE car to buy"
so i assume he is not looking at PARF cars

not 100% true 10year renewals are easier to sell. it depends on the car and type of buyer.

• Praise 1

45 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

not 100% true 10year renewals are easier to sell. it depends on the car and type of buyer.

based on the car models he mentioned, 10yrs renewed coe should be easier to sell.
if you're referring to B&B cars, then yes.. renewed 5yrs will be easier.
trend of the market.. anything below 2l are usually renewed 5yrs, anything above are more likely to be renewed 10yrs

Edited by q1n3fer

Shopping for a COE car is like walking through a landmine field, very high chance of getting a lemon car.

9 out of 10 cars have their mileage adjusted, so the ODO cannot be trusted. If this is your first time buying COE car, I suggest you to start with Jap car. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, all these are quite reliable brands. The parts are easily available and you won't get heart attack when you see repair bills.

There is a folder in this forum where people used to post when they try to get rid of their used or close to scrap cars. Alternatively, you can try friends/relatives/colleagues where you know the condition of the car and how it has been driven.

• Praise 6

Hi all. thank you very much for your informative replies. It really opened my eyes and I am certain that others who may want to purchase a COE car will find this thread very useful.

Due to budget constraints and also because I will be a first time car owner, I will get a 5 year COE car first. Once I've learned the ropes of ownership and learning more about the in and outs of the car as mentioned by a member above then I can start thinking about going up a level in terms of car brands. Can I get some advice for Vios, Altis, Civic 1.6 & 1.8 and Mitsubishi Lancer Ex COE cars? such as acceptable price range, what to look out for, reliable dealers and workshops? I'm looking at the following dealers

1) Carquotz

2) Carway

3) GV Credit

4) Prem Roy Motoring

5) Car Fleet Auto/Mugiwara Auto

If anyone has had prior experience with them could you please share? Thank you all very much. 

2 hours ago, keechiu said:

Hi all. thank you very much for your informative replies. It really opened my eyes and I am certain that others who may want to purchase a COE car will find this thread very useful.

Due to budget constraints and also because I will be a first time car owner, I will get a 5 year COE car first. Once I've learned the ropes of ownership and learning more about the in and outs of the car as mentioned by a member above then I can start thinking about going up a level in terms of car brands. Can I get some advice for Vios, Altis, Civic 1.6 & 1.8 and Mitsubishi Lancer Ex COE cars? such as acceptable price range, what to look out for, reliable dealers and workshops? I'm looking at the following dealers

1) Carquotz

2) Carway

3) GV Credit

4) Prem Roy Motoring

If anyone has had prior experience with them could you please share? Thank you all very much. 

My question still remains: why a COE car? Even with a budget constraint? Why not a 5 year old car?

COE-renewed cars may have a new leash of statutory life, but it doesn't mean that the car ITSELF has a new leash of life. Dont mix the 2 up. It may well be neglected in the 8th-10th year and on the verge of expensive repairs and maintenance. Given your lack of car experience, and given the shark-like nature of the used car trade, you may end up with a dud, unless you bring along a really knowledgeable friend.

Buying a newer car is safer. 5-6 year old Accent, Attrage, Note, Cerato, Elantra, Lancer etc are all within your budget. Stay away from ex-PHV cars though. 

My 2 cents worth. 

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 5

2 hours ago, keechiu said:

1) Carquotz

2) Carway

3) GV Credit

4) Prem Roy Motoring

Budget constraints? How much is your budget?

12 hours ago, Roh96 said:

Shopping for a COE car is like walking through a landmine field, very high chance of getting a lemon car.

9 out of 10 cars have their mileage adjusted, so the ODO cannot be trusted. If this is your first time buying COE car, I suggest you to start with Jap car. Honda, Toyota, Mazda, all these are quite reliable brands. The parts are easily available and you won't get heart attack when you see repair bills.

There is a folder in this forum where people used to post when they try to get rid of their used or close to scrap cars. Alternatively, you can try friends/relatives/colleagues where you know the condition of the car and how it has been driven.

4 hours ago, keechiu said:

1) Carquotz

2) Carway

3) GV Credit

4) Prem Roy Motoring

I pm u my used car SE. Honest and no nonsense guy, not pushy at all. His company is happy to assist with mileage checking and provide info whether the car is ex PHV or not.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Vinceng said:

@keechiu

COE cars with 5 years renewal cost 50% more in annual dep than those with 10 year renewals.

Get this Nissan Latio at less than $40K with 9 more years to drive

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=941711&DL=3750

https://www.sgcarmart.com/used_cars/info.php?ID=942138&DL=2049

Only the drpre of parf write off over 5 year is double of a 10 years COE car, but the  annual COE write off between 5 and 10 year coe  are the same.

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 1

Dealers tend to mark up the selling price of a car with five years COE more, as against a 10 year COE renewal.

Simple reason that many buyers look at upfront purchase price rather than annual dep.

Edited by Vinceng
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3