Which COE car should I buy?

keechiu

3 hours ago, Vinceng said:

The $9,160 annual dep is astonishing & overpriced for a used car with no warranty.

Rather get a brand new Mitsubishi Attrage at $63K ($6K annual dep)  Kia Cerato at $75K ($6.9K annual dep).

The underpowered Attrage is at the extreme opposite end of TS' initial desired type of car, probably an Avante, Cerato, or even a Vios is a more palatable compromise... I think the Bezza is a much better buy that the attrage, at least got a toyota engine inside but of course a made in malaysia car only works for those with a very thick skin and dont "ai mian zi"

He also is probably looking at a budget of $50k, so a brand new car is out of reach... The Bezza at $60++k is also a stretch...

Edited by yellowshaun
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1

If sticking to OPs list I'd go with the Lexus.

I hope OP has a good workshop or a mechanic himself, because that is where /what you'll be spending lots of time at.

6 hours ago, Vinceng said:

The $9,160 annual dep is astonishing & overpriced for a used car with no warranty.

Rather get a brand new Mitsubishi Attrage at $63K ($6K annual dep)  Kia Cerato at $75K ($6.9K annual dep).

His budget is 30k plus only

on paper, buying a coe conti car may not be much more expensive than a coe B&B car, but when something goes wrong, it may (or may not) cost more than the owner may have anticipated.

it is really a pain and disappointment to not be able to afford the proper repairs to get the car into the shape and look it was meant to be ..

i mean, many people would like to drive a conti for the image but if the car isnt in (or cant afford to be put in) that "lofty prestigious" image of the conti, it may look be than driving a B&B car.

just my own thoughts ..

Why 2014 and 2015 parf cars are asking higher dep? As the car gets older, the dep gets higher, it doesn't make sense to me leh. Those cars in 2012 and 2013 also asking for high dep. 

For me, i will choose a COE car vs parf car (those 2014/2015). In fact, i just bought a COE car recently, the car was renewed for 10 yrs and the yearly depre worked out to be just below $5K. There are good condition COE cars out there, you just need to search carefully. Of cos you also need some luck in the process. 

• Praise 1

7 hours ago, Vinceng said:

I hear lots of feedback here that conti car parts are cheap to get from stockist, and its a misconception that conti cars are expensive to maintain. Parts can be cheaper than Jap car parts.

It's not exactly a "misconception" per se... Yes the parts are affordable actually as you said. 

The killer is the labour cost. Parts that cost less than a hundred bucks, but requiring 30-man hours to disassemble the whole engine block to get to that... And with workshop rates of $30/hr (rough estimate, varies with workshop) - the labour costs easily surpasses the cost of the replacement part itself. 

That's how it is for owners of conti cars - you pay a lot for the labour costs than anything else. 

8 hours ago, Vinceng said:

I hear lots of feedback here that conti car parts are cheap to get from stockist, and its a misconception that conti cars are expensive to maintain. Parts can be cheaper than Jap car parts.

My general maintenance and wear & tear parts I had been getting from stockist. Only paid for labour for my workshop.

Recently, i changed all 4 shocks to Boge for my Mini.

Front Shock: $147.4/pc

Front stopper with dust cover: $54.30/pc

Front Top mounting: $54.30/pc

Rear Shock: $116.36/pc

Rear stopper with dust cover: $54.30/pc

Rear Top mounting: $124.1/pc

How is it compare to Jap?

Cash and carry price will usually carry a price loading if you don't take loan & insurance. 

It's to cover up for the dealer's commission from the bank loan & insurance.

Well it’s the most transparent. 

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Comage said:

It's not exactly a "misconception" per se... Yes the parts are affordable actually as you said. 

The killer is the labour cost. Parts that cost less than a hundred bucks, but requiring 30-man hours to disassemble the whole engine block to get to that... And with workshop rates of $30/hr (rough estimate, varies with workshop) - the labour costs easily surpasses the cost of the replacement part itself. 

That's how it is for owners of conti cars - you pay a lot for the labour costs than anything else. 

Also got conti tax. 

1 minute ago, Beregond said:

sidetrack abit.

fc is 1 of the last consideration for a civic owner, or 1 intending to buy a civic😁

Provided that Civic is Type R

14 hours ago, Jamesc said:

If COE and PARF car both at 5.5k depreciation

I am sure TS will get PARF car but one is 9k.

:grin:

image.png.c4ee87f1a74d46e9c0a2b43cf343022e.pngimage.png.155e5c9c07821c4dc6d48c8bde12bc7d.png

For a greater peace of mind, I would consider one of these 2016 cars at about $7K/year. In any case, most of the GV Credit cars are asking for $6.5K/yr anyway.

• Praise 3

21 hours ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Yeah if want buy used conti make sure u have enough cash for repair, when u get a lemon conti or a conti abused by prev owner, be prepared to spend 5 digit sum in workshop. Also make sure u have alot free time to go workshop lol

Depending on luck, after taking into account the cost of additional repairs, the annual depr may not be much different bet coe/prf cars and bet used parf/new cars 

Money aside, Going to workshop regularly and getting stranded on the road are the worst

Used to visit workshop every month so many times for my old conti until practically almost every component of the engine/parts has been changed (throttle, engine gasket, coolant tank, hose, etc etc etc) and even after all these, one day the car stalled in the middle of busy road. That was the last straw.  

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

4 minutes ago, Newbie26 said:

Depending on luck, after taking into account the cost of additional repairs, the annual depr may not be much different bet coe/prf cars and bet used parf/new cars 

Money aside, Going to workshop regularly and getting stranded on the road are the worst

Used to visit workshop every month so many times for my old conti until practically almost every component of the engine/parts has been changed (throttle, engine gasket, coolant tank, hose, etc etc etc) and even after all these, one day the car stalled in the middle of busy road. That was the last straw.  

Thats why i bought new skoda superb instead of used 5er or a6 or xf. 

last time for same amt i thought better buy f10 but everyday drive scared breakdown halfway esp go up north. Also go workshop collect car and see repair bill 😂

at least my new superb problem free for first 2 yrs ownership and even if have its covered under warranty. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

7 hours ago, Toeknee_33 said:

image.png.c4ee87f1a74d46e9c0a2b43cf343022e.pngimage.png.155e5c9c07821c4dc6d48c8bde12bc7d.png

For a greater peace of mind, I would consider one of these 2016 cars at about $7K/year. In any case, most of the GV Credit cars are asking for $6.5K/yr anyway.

I am not Chee**** but I would suggest a used 2016 Malibu for 7.7k depre, and best of all, sold by Alpine.

The COE-d Ceratos or Altis are out of its league and yet they have a depre of 6k to 7k.

I do not like Chevrolets, and am disgusted at how they abandoned the Asian market, but the Malibu is a better car than those above in terms of comfort and image.

The only pain lies in the 2.4L road tax, with spare part availability a moot point as they can be easily obtained from China/ South Korea.

20201117_200104.jpg

Edited by Brass
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2