sgCarMart rolls out its Car Protection Initiative for buyer peace-of-mind (sgCarMart Warranty)

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

sgCarMart rolls out its Car Protection Initiative for buyer peace-of-mind

source: https://www.sgcarmart.com/news/article.php?AID=24012

Detailed vehicle inspections and coverage of engine, transmission and drive axle key benefits of Used Car Warranty Programme

24012_p1_s_1.jpg

sgCarMart, number one car classifieds for buying vehicles, has announced the launch of a Used Car Warranty Programme in Singapore. The programme is underwritten by global insurance company Tokio Marine and administered by Assurant, Inc., a leading global provider of lifestyle and housing solutions that support, protect and connect major consumer purchases.

Under the sgCarMart Used Car Warranty programme, the vehicle undergoes a thorough inspection process with detailed visual inspections and electronic diagnostics by qualified technicians to ensure the engine and transmission are in good condition.

A test drive is also carried out during inspection as a final step to ensure the vehicle is eligible for the sgCarMart Warranty. Once eligibility for the warranty has been confirmed, the vehicle will be listed on sgCarMart.com with the sgCarMart Warranty label, therefore giving it higher visibility. This new initiative is focused on giving consumers, looking to purchase pre-owned vehicles, peace of mind.

"For pre-owned cars, one of the most worrying issues can be reliability. Buyers can be assured that vehicles with the sgCarMart Warranty label have gone through a stringent inspection," says Vincent Tan, General Manager of sgCarMart. "The programme was designed with the car buyer in mind, and we work with globally recognised partners, minimising the risks associated with purchasing a pre-owned car."

Under this programme, cars that breakdown will be handled by sgCarMart through a network of partner workshops. "Access to vetted and reliable workshops adds to the car buyer's peace of mind," Mr. Tan adds. Under the warranty period, valid repairs done by authorised workshops are billed directly to sgCarMart, making the process faster and easier for the car owner.

"As a business, we pioneered extended warranties for cars, and we are thrilled to partner with sgCarMart in bringing peace of mind to car buyers through the Used Car Warranty programme," says Hemaka Perera, President of Assurant Australia, New Zealand and Singapore. "For dealers, it enables them to sell pre-owned cars with confidence. For buyers, it can ease some of the worries associated with buying a pre-owned car," Mrs. Perera explains.

Warranty packages range from six months to two years, and a basic package starts from as low as $200. Currently, the programme is only available to car dealers under sgCarMart, with plans to roll out to direct consumers soon. For further information, please call sgCarMart at 9721 4997, or visit our warranty homepage here.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

hmm..

For pre-owned cars, one of the most worrying issues can be reliability. Buyers can be assured that vehicles with the sgCarMart Warranty label have gone through a stringent inspection," says Vincent Tan, General Manager of sgCarMart. "The programme was designed with the car buyer in mind, and we work with globally recognised partners, minimising the risks associated with purchasing a pre-owned car."

I would have thought , most worrying is the rolling back of car mileage. If there is a way to void the sales base on this scheme, I am sure it will do wonders for thr take up rate.

As a precursor, if the mileage is roll back, the item in question, like timing belt OR timing chain tensioner replacement may have been neglected and hence, after purchase, the car may start to self destruct due to no fault of the new owner day to day usage due to a false sense of comfort that the maintenance schedule is not due yet.

But then, I am viewing it as probably a 1% chance of this happening and it may never happen. After all, our second hand car market and dealers have one of the best integrity in the world.

22 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

I would have thought , most worrying is the rolling back of car mileage. If there is a way to void the sales base on this scheme, I am sure it will do wonders for thr take up rate.

Totally on this - I think this is one of the top concerns of 2nd hand car buyers.

Any other ways to manage this other than buy a relatively new car 1-2 years old with full service records by AD? 

@kobayashiGT Can SGcarmart help buyers do this for those relatively new cars still under AD warranty & servicing? I'm aware that while not many ADs are willing to entertain buyer request direct, they are willing to disclose it to dealers.

To prove my point, I've worked with a dealer in Turf city whom they gave me their 4 digit dealer ID and yes, afaik, it works. So it this legwork can be done by SGcarmart to certify the last service mileage and date (and warranty if applicable), it will go a long way to help customers get peace of mind in terms of their purchase.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Totally on this - any other ways to manage this other than buy a relatively new car 1-2 years old with full service records by AD?

Get it checked by your trusted ws?

Can any of the lao jiao comment if this is comprehensive or is it missing some key components? I guess the biggest bane is the adjusting of the odometers, which is still hard to detect esp for the Japanese cars?

https://www.sgcarmart.com/warranty/

Warranty Coverage List

Engine System

Gasoline (Petrol) Engine: Cylinder block and all internal lubricated parts including; crankshaft, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, expansion (freeze) plugs, connecting rods, gudgeon pins, pistons, piston rings, camshaft, camshaft pulley, cam tower, lifters, cylinder head, valves and guides, valve springs, rocker arms (cam followers), pushrods, timing chain housing (cover), timing chain and sprockets, timing belt and pulleys, timing belt tensioner, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel, balance shafts, crank shaft vibration dampener and retainer bolt, crankshaft pulley, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump and pressure relief valve, engine oil cooler hoses, oil filter adapter/housing, engine oil sending unit, engine mounts, water pump, temperature sending unit, thermostat and housing, fuel supply pump, vacuum pump, dipstick and tube, fasteners for the components listed above.

Turbocharged /Supercharged /Rotary /Diesel /Enhanced Engines: All of the above listed parts or equivalent plus: turbocharger, waste gate controller, intercooler, hard lines, compressor, clutch and pulley, bypass valve, injection pump, lines and nozzles.

Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Components: Electric coolant pump, electric oil pump, electric motor/generator(s) and all internal components, inverter/converter/transformer units and all internal components, inverter/converter/transformer units cover, power spit device and all internal components, reduction/reducer box and all internal components, fasteners for the components within this assembly.

Transmission System

Automatic: Case and all internal lubricated parts including; oil pump, valve body, torque converter, vacuum modulator, governor, main shaft, clutches, bands, drums, gear sets, bearings, bushings, sealing rings, TV cable, solenoids, electronic shift control unit, transmission mounts, cooler, cooler hoses and hard lines, dipstick and tube, fasteners for the components listed above.

Standard: Case and all internal lubricated parts including; main shaft, gear sets, shift forks, synchronizers, bearings, bushings, fasteners for the components listed above.

Drive Axle

Transfer Case - (4X4 vehicles): Case and all internal lubricated parts including; main shaft, gear sets, chain and sprockets, bearings, bushings, mounts, fasteners for the components listed above, electronic and vacuum engagement components.

Front Wheel Drive: Final drive housing and all internal parts including; carrier case, gear sets, chain and sprockets, bearings, bushings, axle shafts, universal joints, front hub bearings, locking hub assemblies (4X4), drive shaft support, fasteners for the components listed above.

Rear Wheel Drive: Drive axle housing and all internal lubricated parts including; carrier case, gear sets, bearings, bushings, limited slip clutch pack, axle shafts, rear hub bearings, propeller shafts, universal joints, drive shaft support, fasteners for the components listed above.

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Get it checked by your trusted ws?

Yes, if I'm buying an old car that is out of warranty and no longer serviced by agent, best protection is by WS inspection. But for mileage, I'm not sure if the mechanics are able to tell u if it has been manipulated.

• Haha! 1

6 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Totally on this - I think this is one of the top concerns of 2nd hand car buyers.

Any other ways to manage this other than buy a relatively new car 1-2 years old with full service records by AD? 

@kobayashiGT Can SGcarmart help buyers do this for those relatively new cars still under AD warranty & servicing? I'm aware that while not many ADs are willing to entertain buyer request direct, they are willing to disclose it to dealers. 

if u open the flood gates , the AD will be swamp with all sort of queries.

Easier to have a ChatBot or a simple SMS /whatsapp relay messaging service for keying in car VIN number and have the IT system relay back to the handphone. Also need to clear the PDPA hurdle. 

Its no wonder the ability to ask for such details are so difficult.

• Praise 1

7 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Can any of the lao jiao comment if this is comprehensive or is it missing some key components? I guess the biggest bane is the adjusting of the odometers, which is still hard to detect esp for the Japanese cars?

https://www.sgcarmart.com/warranty/

Warranty Coverage List

Engine System

Gasoline (Petrol) Engine: Cylinder block and all internal lubricated parts including; crankshaft, rod and main bearings, cam bearings, expansion (freeze) plugs, connecting rods, gudgeon pins, pistons, piston rings, camshaft, camshaft pulley, cam tower, lifters, cylinder head, valves and guides, valve springs, rocker arms (cam followers), pushrods, timing chain housing (cover), timing chain and sprockets, timing belt and pulleys, timing belt tensioner, intake and exhaust manifolds, flywheel, balance shafts, crank shaft vibration dampener and retainer bolt, crankshaft pulley, valve covers, oil pan, oil pump and pressure relief valve, engine oil cooler hoses, oil filter adapter/housing, engine oil sending unit, engine mounts, water pump, temperature sending unit, thermostat and housing, fuel supply pump, vacuum pump, dipstick and tube, fasteners for the components listed above.

Turbocharged /Supercharged /Rotary /Diesel /Enhanced Engines: All of the above listed parts or equivalent plus: turbocharger, waste gate controller, intercooler, hard lines, compressor, clutch and pulley, bypass valve, injection pump, lines and nozzles.

Hybrid/Electric Vehicle Components: Electric coolant pump, electric oil pump, electric motor/generator(s) and all internal components, inverter/converter/transformer units and all internal components, inverter/converter/transformer units cover, power spit device and all internal components, reduction/reducer box and all internal components, fasteners for the components within this assembly.

Transmission System

Automatic: Case and all internal lubricated parts including; oil pump, valve body, torque converter, vacuum modulator, governor, main shaft, clutches, bands, drums, gear sets, bearings, bushings, sealing rings, TV cable, solenoids, electronic shift control unit, transmission mounts, cooler, cooler hoses and hard lines, dipstick and tube, fasteners for the components listed above.

Standard: Case and all internal lubricated parts including; main shaft, gear sets, shift forks, synchronizers, bearings, bushings, fasteners for the components listed above.

Drive Axle

Transfer Case - (4X4 vehicles): Case and all internal lubricated parts including; main shaft, gear sets, chain and sprockets, bearings, bushings, mounts, fasteners for the components listed above, electronic and vacuum engagement components.

Front Wheel Drive: Final drive housing and all internal parts including; carrier case, gear sets, chain and sprockets, bearings, bushings, axle shafts, universal joints, front hub bearings, locking hub assemblies (4X4), drive shaft support, fasteners for the components listed above.

Rear Wheel Drive: Drive axle housing and all internal lubricated parts including; carrier case, gear sets, bearings, bushings, limited slip clutch pack, axle shafts, rear hub bearings, propeller shafts, universal joints, drive shaft support, fasteners for the components listed above.

Engine and Drivetrain seems to be covered. 

Zero coverage for electronic systems, suspension and wheel mounts and pretty much anything else. 

Also, with regard to engine and drivetrain, I would much prefer it if they had language stating "Engine and drivetrain components, including (but not limited to)... blah". That way, if some obscure engine or transmission component X fails, they can't deny a claim on the basis that that wasn't on the list. 

As a concrete example (and it isn't even an obscure one), while the fuel supply pump is explicitly covered, what about the fuel lines, rails and injectors? 

And what about the vehicle ECU itself? I would say that's a warrantable item, especially if sophisticated electronic checks are being used prior to underwriting. 

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Rickster said:

Yes, if I'm buying an old car that is out of warranty and no longer serviced by agent, best protection is by WS inspection. But for mileage, I'm not sure if the mechanics are able to tell u if it has been manipulated.

Not necessary.

Most WS just do the routine check like STA car inspection services.

They will not volunteer stuff like accident minor repair nor check on the oil analysis of whether there is metal shavings.

Of course, the argument here is depends on how old the car is, the ODB2 will still sound out messages but really, not many Mech is well verse in interperting the message and what parts have failed.

And on a worst case scenario, its just trigger a Fault code but intermittent.

Even AD does the most unbelievable scans. They clear all faults first and then scan the car. Is it not the other way round? download the scans logs and then cleared and see if the two logs gels ?

7 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

Not necessary.

Most WS just do the routine check like STA car inspection services.

They will not volunteer stuff like accident minor repair nor check on the oil analysis of whether there is metal shavings.

Of course, the argument here is depends on how old the car is, the ODB2 will still sound out messages but really, not many Mech is well verse in interperting the message and what parts have failed.

And on a worst case scenario, its just trigger a Fault code but intermittent.

Even AD does the most unbelievable scans. They clear all faults first and then scan the car. Is it not the other way round? download the scans logs and then cleared and see if the two logs gels ?

Yes, agree that WS generally does eyeball, test drive and underbelly inspection at most and can usually only detect mechanical issues. BTW, fender benders are generally not considered "accidents" in the world of used cars.

Clearing of fault codes and time/mileage a vehicle has travelled after fault code is cleared can be detected. I bought and installed on my laptop and scanner and tuning software and tried it on a few of my colleague's cars including a merc which had recently had the ABS sensor fault code cleared. It picked it up.

PM me if you want to find out more (I do not have any business interest in the software).

Edited by Rickster

1 minute ago, Rickster said:

845F7076-A695-4B81-A957-DAB4A3CFE401.jpeg

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

845F7076-A695-4B81-A957-DAB4A3CFE401.jpeg

Thanks for sharing the info! This is something new to me.

I think this post should be pined up as it is truly good info for all who are looking to buy used cars.

Edited by Rickster

Internal Moderator
34 minutes ago, Rickster said:

To prove my point, I've worked with a dealer in Turf city whom they gave me their 4 digit dealer ID and yes, afaik, it works. So it this legwork can be done by SGcarmart to certify the last service mileage and date (and warranty if applicable), it will go a long way to help customers get peace of mind in terms of their purchase.

all your concern are valid. 🙂 

I think you have a point for this, Let me see what I can do for 2021! 🙂

• Praise 2

The whole scheme sounds good on paper

But the golden question is.......what’s the catch?

Underwriter can just pull out the ‘wear & tear” clause n land up nothing is actually covered...

1 hour ago, Soya said:

The whole scheme sounds good on paper

But the golden question is.......what’s the catch?

Underwriter can just pull out the ‘wear & tear” clause n land up nothing is actually covered...

To be honest, my take on this is if it is to be done well, the car will need to have a 360 video or photo captured including under carriage as well as something like AMG where the person furnished the report is at least certified to have certain degree of mechanical qualifications. Then there has to be a capture of perimeter of what was tested, what’s the norm n what’s where the health status of the car is at. Like compression test and oil analysis as I mentioned. 

after that , go thru what is not covered and the current state of assessment. So even if wear n tear of suspension is not covered, from the time it was put on a rig to test the operation of the car should give the buyer an informed decision what kind of money to put aside. Same goes for wheel bearing n stuff .. 

it has to be something more than what STA currrently does for A B status for attestation of the car. Else , it’s quite pointless to fork out money like subscribe to CASE 

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

To be honest, my take on this is if it is to be done well, the car will need to have a 360 video or photo captured including under carriage as well as something like AMG where the person furnished the report is at least certified to have certain degree of mechanical qualifications. Then there has to be a capture of perimeter of what was tested, what’s the norm n what’s where the health status of the car is at. Like compression test and oil analysis as I mentioned. 

after that , go thru what is not covered and the current state of assessment. So even if wear n tear of suspension is not covered, from the time it was put on a rig to test the operation of the car should give the buyer an informed decision what kind of money to put aside. Same goes for wheel bearing n stuff .. 

it has to be something more than what STA currrently does for A B status for attestation of the car. Else , it’s quite pointless to fork out money like subscribe to CASE 

Too many hoops to jump thru. If an insurer cannot deal w uncertainty,  they shouldn't be in this business 

to me most critical factor in buying used car is mileage must be authentic.

from there can do a reasonable estimate of what wear and tear parts need replacing.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1