Mazda Reveals Straight-6 Engine That Could be Used for Next 6

Toeknee_33

Internal Moderator
12 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

My heart skipped a beat...I am excited! If it does happen and if I am still able to buy a car by then...I will buy this!

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/mazda-reveals-straight-six-engine-could-be-used-next-6

When everyone is electrifying their fleet, mazda just threw a curve ball!

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

This was the last 6-cylinder in a Mazda 6(26). It was rare in those days (late 90s). Almost wanted to buy a used one but ended up with the Mit Galant VR.

1997-Mazda-626-V6-US-spec-0-1024x554.jpg

image.thumb.png.95eed701386419da720907c2b3f6f8cc.png

What is exciting about this, other than the iL6 engine, is the fact that its likely to be longitudinally-mounted, which likely means RWD! So they are taking the fight to the Euro premium car makers! 

Edited by Toeknee_33
  • Praise 3

15 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

When everyone is electrifying their fleet, mazda just threw a curve ball!

Perhaps one day, I get to see a car powered by  rear-6 and front electric.  😎

• Haha! 1

Electrification aside, it kinda doesn't make sense when other car makers are downsizing and reducing the amount of cylinders in their engines to meet ever stricter emission standards. And Mazda here is adding more cylinders into one of their engine lineups.

Are they trying to stand out or be special? They are a niche branding after all. It's not surprising given they are not in a position to directly compete with the bigger Japanese fishes.

• Praise 2

Even if Mazda were to have inline 6, it will be 3 Litre and above. Singapore dealer will never bring it in. Even the skyactiv x and 2.5 Turbo for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 also dont come already... So can only envy other countries that have this engine options. 

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Electrification aside, it kinda doesn't make sense when other car makers are downsizing and reducing the amount of cylinders in their engines to meet ever stricter emission standards. And Mazda here is adding more cylinders into one of their engine lineups.

Are they trying to stand out or be special? They are a niche branding after all. It's not surprising given they are not in a position to directly compete with the bigger Japanese fishes.

I believe it is because  Mazda have some sort of deal with Toyota. 
Win-win for both.  

10 minutes ago, Kklee said:

I believe it is because  Mazda have some sort of deal with Toyota. 
Win-win for both.  

I suspect it will only be available in the US market.

18 minutes ago, Westin said:

Even if Mazda were to have inline 6, it will be 3 Litre and above. Singapore dealer will never bring it in. Even the skyactiv x and 2.5 Turbo for Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 also dont come already... So can only envy other countries that have this engine options. 

IMHO.
SG market is small.  The brands owned by the same business group, will unlikely bring in similar range.  

7 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I suspect it will only be available in the US market.

IMHO,  alliance has no boundaries. 
Mazda needs to be electrified.
Toyota needs new technology in ICE.  

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Kklee said:

Perhaps one day, I get to see a car powered by  rear-6 and front electric.  😎

Then your car practically has no storage leh. hahahahah.

↡ Advertisement