Mazda Reveals Straight-6 Engine That Could be Used for Next 6

Toeknee_33

4 minutes ago, Westin said:

A real pity... imagine having Mazda 3 and 6 Turbo charged here... It will be a real conti killer. 

Unlikely.

German Badge SELLS

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

2 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Then your car practically has no storage leh. hahahahah.

IMHO, no need to worry, got market one. 
Like I notice one fella,   change the same model from smaller to bigger version,  also can what.
Just that not for me lah.

8 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Mazda deserves praise for not following the herd and forging their own paths.

image.thumb.png.b3f2ee1da61239c27e8dda80fbbe66bf.png

Mazda And Toyota Eyeing Collaboration On Radical New 6-Cylinder Engine

Excerpt 

Let’s just go over a little bit of background quickly. In 2015, Toyota and Mazda agreed to expand their already existing partnership to a long-term one focusing on safety and fuel efficiency technologies. Then, in 2017, the two announced a further expansion of the relationship to include major Japanese supplier Denso to develop technologies for electric vehicles. And now we are hearing that Toyota and Lexus will employ Mazda’s radical new engine technology as well as Denso’s 48V electrical system into its rear-drive saloons. For the record, 48V systems will be progressively added to vehicles in the near future as cars require more power to run stop-start systems, hybrid motors, turbos, power brakes, water pumps, power steering and air conditioning.

Expected to appear in the next generation Mazda6 in 2022, and Toyota and Lexus models after that, the 3.0-liter straight-6 SkyActiv-X unit will feature similar technology to the Mazda3’s new “X” powerplant including a diesel-like common rail system, a mild hybrid system and a supercharger with the 48V electric package. Power is expected to clear 300 horsepower. One source close to Toyota said that the only way for Mazda to develop such a hi-tech 6-cylinder powerplant was to collaborate with Toyota and share R&D costs although the various percentages are not known.

Source :  https://www.forbes.com/sites/peterlyon/2019/07/28/mazda-and-toyota-eyeing-collaboration-on-radical-new-6-cylinder-engine/?sh=1eb1fe87eb65

• Praise 3

Wow, this is very exciting! The new Lexus IS might be twinned with the new Mazda 6!

This collaborative effort involves so many new tech! (SkyActive-X, 48V, mild hybrid, e-supercharger)

This might just explain why the latest Lexus IS (just released in SG) is just a comprehensive facelift and not a new model. Also explains why the current Mazda 6 has been around since 2012.

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Wow, this is very exciting! The new Lexus IS might be twinned with the new Mazda 6!

This collaborative effort involves so many new tech! (SkyActive-X, 48V, mild hybrid, e-supercharger)

This might just explain why the latest Lexus IS (just released in SG) is just a comprehensive facelift and not a new model. Also explains why the current Mazda 6 has been around since 2012.

Eh... but the distributor has to make it exciting for us in SG. 

21 minutes ago, Aventa said:

I thought Toyota already has 6 cylinder (V6 in fact) and RWD affordable sedans for very long already .. 😀

IMHO,  I think Toyota wants a RWD sports car that is powerful and reliable. 

5 minutes ago, Best1 said:

Dealer will not make it exciting..it will bring in only the lowest specs. 

Some dealer are under a group that has many brands.  They will bring in models that will not affect their other brands. 

2 hours ago, Aventa said:

I thought Toyota already has 6 cylinder (V6 in fact) and RWD affordable sedans for very long already .. 😀

Ya lah, during the Jap boom days of 80s/90s, now where to find? 

5 minutes ago, Toeknee_33 said:

Ya lah, during the Jap boom days of 80s/90s, now where to find? 

Not so long ago lah. Remember the Mark X? Was very popular in the 2000s as a PI car here. In China, they had the newer Mark X badged as the Reiz. Also 6 cyl RWD. I think it only stopped production in Japan last year.

It even could be bought with a dealer installed Supercharger!

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

Not so long ago lah. Remember the Mark X? Was very popular in the 2000s as a PI car here. In China, they had the newer Mark X badged as the Reiz. Also 6 cyl RWD. I think it only stopped production in Japan last year.

Bro, look at my avatar, I have owned 6-cyl RWD Jap cars before, including the Mark X. Can we buy one new now? 

Back in those good old days, many 2L cars were 6-cylinders. Cressida, Laurel, Galant, 320i, 520i etc. 

But  today these genre of cars are going the way of the Dodo! 

If this Mazda comes true, it ought to be applauded, at the very least for introducing some variety. Somemore iL6 leh. The next equivalent car I can think of is a BMW 340i but that's north of $300K! 

• Praise 3

I once drove a E90 325i and 320i back to back (cars belong to 2 close friends of mine), and can instantly feel the smoothness in delivery of the inline-6 325i. In comparison, the inline-4 320i felt 'rougher' in relative term. 

bmw_3series_2005_325i-Sedan_1.jpg 

Too bad it was beyond my reach then. Not more new 2.2L or 2.5L BMW now. 

• Praise 2

23 hours ago, Ake109 said:

That’s V6.
In term of silky smooth engine, only IL6 or IL6x2.

Rem 2JZ or RB

• Praise 1

On 11/12/2020 at 10:48 PM, Toeknee_33 said:

Bro, look at my avatar, I have owned 6-cyl RWD Jap cars before, including the Mark X. Can we buy one new now? 

Back in those good old days, many 2L cars were 6-cylinders. Cressida, Laurel, Galant, 320i, 520i etc. 

But  today these genre of cars are going the way of the Dodo! 

If this Mazda comes true, it ought to be applauded, at the very least for introducing some variety. Somemore iL6 leh. The next equivalent car I can think of is a BMW 340i but that's north of $300K! 

You are absolutely right, but that wasn't what the point I was making in the 1st place. Just saying that even after the 90s, still have even if lesser.

Now to see if Mazda will make the IL6 FI or NA (which will be truly rare).

Edited by Ake109
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1