Pressure Cooker or Multi Functional rice cooker

Jusnel

I'm thinking of getting something that can cook stew or soup without much fuss.

So pressure cooker comes into my mind because i assume it's time saving.  But I can also get a multi functional rice cooker that can also stew, soup or steam. 

Which one is recommended?

I need to get something small compact. Most pressure cookers are 5L or 6L size. Too big for my space. 

Rice cookers comes in different sizes which I like. 

Is Pressure cooking really time saving?

Anyone use multi functional rice cooker to cook?

↡ Advertisement

i got both .... 

first one is the Joyoung MF rice cooker. Then later i got the Midea electric pressure cooker.

the rice cooker is smaller (1.8L) so i use it to cook rice only.

the pressure cooker is a 5L unit .... which now i kinda regret as too big for a small family.

if you want more functions, the go for the pressure cooker - but get the size that will suffice for your family.

I am considering getting a smaller 2.5L pressure cooker so more convenient to use.

IMG_20201115_212111.jpg

IMG_20201115_212119.jpg

• Praise 2

I can only speak for (Sona) pressure cooker since I have one. It is somewhat multi-function.

It can cook rice, by pressure cooking.

If I want to cook raw peanuts, I can set it to "brown rice", set 1 hr timer and most of the peanuts will be cooked in that time. I heard my auntie used to cook the traditional way for hours to soften it, although I haven't tried that.

I can cooked beef stew by stir frying it in the pot first with oil, then add vege, water, and pressure cooked it, without changing pots.

The pressure cooking part save time.

It can also cooked soup the traditional way (no pressure) by slow cooking for 4 hrs and more.

Now, I dunno what mf rice cooker can do that the pressure cooker cannot.

• Praise 2

I have a WMF pressure cooker but am thinking of getting a Toyomi electric pressure cooker. It comes with a stainless steel pot and strangely most people recommend me to get one with a non stick pot (which I am not in favor of due to the coating). Pressure cooker speeds up the cooking process, 20 mins = an hour of normal cooking. 

The multi function rice cooker can bake cake too. 

• Praise 2

I also recently bought a pressure cooker, indeed it does save a lot of time, but uses more electricity though.

For e.g some soup which i take to boil for 3-4hrs, takes 1hr+ on pressure cooker and also you can set timer etc, 

Another adv is also you don't have to always 'look after' a stove boil in case of boil over.

Not only can cook stew, can also bake cake etc which I have yet to try, but yea definitely worth an investment

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
12 hours ago, Jusnel said:

So pressure cooker comes into my mind because i assume it's time saving.  But I can also get a multi functional rice cooker that can also stew, soup or steam. 

I need to get something small compact. Most pressure cookers are 5L or 6L size. Too big for my space. 

Each has its own good. a pressure cooker can do more tricks thou. Plus if you are a soup person, I think you will be using it often. It will not become a white elephant in your kitchen.

Ricer cooker cook slow and pressure will get released, so if use it to cook soup, it will take longer time.

12 hours ago, Jusnel said:

Your rice will take longer to cook in a pressure cooker. I won't want to wait for pressure cooker to cook my daily rice. 

To me. These are separate items. Rice cooker and pressure cooker. 

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

I have a WMF pressure cooker but am thinking of getting a Toyomi electric pressure cooker. It comes with a stainless steel pot and strangely most people recommend me to get one with a non stick pot (which I am not in favor of due to the coating). 

Whole point of getting an electric one is the non stick pan.

Just don't use metal spoon or instruments. Wooden or plastic. Those ladle can be metal cos no edges. 

The maximum temp of these is just around 110 deg. All very safe. Your non stick coating won't drop one. My pressure cooker is 2-3 years old. Coating as good as new. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

5 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Each has its own good. a pressure cooker can do more tricks thou. Plus if you are a soup person, I think you will be using it often. It will not become a white elephant in your kitchen.

Ricer cooker cook slow and pressure will get released, so if use it to cook soup, it will take longer time.

If u want to be very honest. There is a difference between slow cooked and pressure cooked soups. 

With pressure cooking you get bang for buck. The speed is great. 

But the overboiling will affect the consistency of the soup. You will never get something close to the consistency of a double boiled Cantonese soup. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

9 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

i got both .... 

first one is the Joyoung MF rice cooker. Then later i got the Midea electric pressure cooker.

the rice cooker is smaller (1.8L) so i use it to cook rice only.

the pressure cooker is a 5L unit .... which now i kinda regret as too big for a small family.

if you want more functions, the go for the pressure cooker - but get the size that will suffice for your family.

I am considering getting a smaller 2.5L pressure cooker so more convenient to use.

IMG_20201115_212111.jpg

IMG_20201115_212119.jpg

Almost all pressure cookers are bigger. So that need volume for soup or stew. Actually I find it too small. Esp if u add all the bones and stuff for the soups. Usually only good enough for 6-8  adult servings of soup at best. 

If I buy another one, I will probably go for bigger. 

Stovetop pressure cooker is actually very good at controlling consistency of stews actually. But electric is very good at fire and forget. Non stick also makes it easy for clean up. 

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
7 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

If u want to be very honest. There is a difference between slow cooked and pressure cooked soups. 

With pressure cooking you get bang for buck. The speed is great. 

But the overboiling will affect the consistency of the soup. You will never get something close to the consistency of a double boiled Cantonese soup. 

That is true. that's why I still go back Ah er soup when I wanna drink double boiled soup.

5 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

That is true. that's why I still go back Ah er soup when I wanna drink double boiled soup.

Double boiled soup is actually a very simple process. But...... The main difference is that you have to make your own clear soup stock which is not practical for a household. The shops make it in those huge pots. 

Where's this ah er. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Shocked 1

Internal Moderator
Just now, Lala81 said:

Double boiled soup is actually a very simple process. But...... The main difference is that you have to make your own clear soup stock which is not practical for a household. The shops make it in those huge pots. 

Oh. no wonder. No wonder I cannot taste the same thing from my mother's soup!

🤫 Don't tell my mummy please. hahahahaha.

12 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

Oh. no wonder. No wonder I cannot taste the same thing from my mother's soup!

🤫 Don't tell my mummy please. hahahahaha.

Yeah got difference.

My mother's soup is actually much better than mine. My one is just simple and quick. 

• Haha! 1

It depends on how much you are cooking... I find it difficult to use the 5L pot as I mainly use it to stew my meats....then have to pour alot of water...and when done, still alot of gravy left, which dilutes the flavour.... Which means have to add more spices to start with. 

But if you are cooking a whole duck or chicken, then it's suitable. 

Wouldn't a multi-function cooker cost more than a dedicated function cooker? 

The maker is making more exactly on playing along with consumers' mentality. More function is better.

Actually if you look at how hawkers use the conventional rice cooker it's already multi-function cooker. Other than cooking chicken rice, it can do steaming, can cook dessert like red/green bean soup. The only important function lacking is an adjustable timer.

Edited by Watwheels
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1