Deepavali vs X'mas decors

StreetFight3r

https://www.asiaone.com/singapore/deepavali-coming-it-too-early-xmas-decor-orchard

161027_Orchard_ST.jpg.6fdf18827f09be97c1851579ae3d6e7e.jpg

xmasdeco27(2).jpg.6f9764a5da46440bb2990f95929bc9a6.jpg

xmaslights(7).jpg.06917e0a1ca69b009a744c40f94ad292.jpg

this is an old article dated 2016 but there are fresh debates again this year, actually every year 

tbh this has been goin on for years

x'mas light up mid nov overlaps with deepavali 

but isnt deepavali also the festival of lights? 

that said the x'mas lights were not lit yet when i drove to orchard.. decor also toned down this year

i hope im not being overly sensitive or insensitive but seems like everything these days can be used to cause singaporeans to become divisive / political

this can be seen on facebook comments

i'm all for the lights no matter the festival

i think common knowledge for singaporeans..

to celebrate deepavali go little india, serangoon road, x'mas will be orchard road because too commercialized celebrated worldwide, chinese new year go chinatown, hari raya go haig road or geylang serai

that said does anyone still go orchard road at all?? 

↡ Advertisement

Doesn't matter to me really. I dunno about the minority. I think as long as they dont light up the blacken face of aunty Lucy nobody will be pissed. After all we respect all the races here in Sgp. Our watch dog I mean law minister is very on the ball about this.

I took these 2 pics at Vivocity at end Oct. I was thinking, end Oct already up siah. I was lucky as they were testing the Christmas lightings. After my dinner that day they switched off the lights. 

1465437797_Vivocitylights2.thumb.jpeg.cf7d8b49205ee85f2ea2ccc5fdef2d9e.jpeg1884551988_Vivocitylights1.thumb.jpeg.10fbefeabd4466e4a1a5dd91d0217ece.jpeg

Ok lah. I think ppl cannot wait for the time to pass sooner so that the virus vaccine can arrive and this life stifling pandemic can be over soon.

I think it's also for the "Christmas Sale!" to start ASAP. Something more ppl will look forward to than Deepavali I guess.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 1

Recession still got budget for Deepavali/Christmas light up in Orchard Rod very good le, mai hiam liao... haha.

I was in Orchard on Sat and the lights are kinda underwhelming but still better than nothing.

• Haha! 1

1 minute ago, Cheesey74 said:

Recession still got budget for Deepavali/Christmas light up in Orchard Rod very good le, mai hiam liao... haha.

I was in Orchard on Sat and the lights are kinda underwhelming but still better than nothing.

The budget has been there.  Don't use next year no budget.

• Praise 3

Christmas mean different things to different groups of ppl.

For guys, it means extended Happy Hour.

For women, it's more shopping.

For children, it's presents or toys.

For singles, I dunno, more suicides?

Deepavali is like your birthday date that happens to be too near to a big holiday like Christmas or CNY. Sucks to be you.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Cheesey74 said:

Looks like whether got recession or not, there will still be light up?! News reported that MBS area also have xmas light up and already lighted up.