It's abt time we change our laws abt cats in hdb

StreetFight3r

2 hours ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
If someone can solve the dog any how poop issue,  then cats maybe a non-issue.
When I see cats, I may think of Toxoplasmosis.

keep the cats at home then wont anyhow poop liao

same for how we dun let our dogs anyhow roam

if anyhow roam = stray dog

same for cats ah tio?

↡ Advertisement

11 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

This. But nowadays most cat owners are well aware lah. Unlike last time in the 80s and 90s ppl just let cats roam around knowing they will return for food and sleep.

i know of a few cat owners who let their cats free roam

windows never mesh up

for one of them, one day she found the cat dead at the foot of the block

mauled to death

i reckon by stray dogs? keep our cats at home

that being said would love to have a cat one day. low maintenance

10 hours ago, Kxbc said:

The kitten is very cute. Long limbs. Slim frame as worthy of an Asian lineage. Will grow up to be a fine jumper who will perch on top of cupboards, shelves and sometimes even the ajared door, watching the family go about their daily routine. 

That stubby tail reminded me of my #5. 

great analysis. 

din know can tell so much abt a cat just by its appearance hahaa

41 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

All these are irresponsible pet ownership behavior by humans. 

Cats are easily kept indoors. They can be easily entertained indoors with the right tools eg high points, balls of crumpled paper to chase around. When kept indoors, there is no public defecation issue as highlighted. And community cats bury their poop in sandy places if they can find one. It's hardwired into their DNA.

Dogs are taken out for walks to burn off their excessive energy. Some dogs pee and defecate outside. It is the responsibility of the owners to clean up after them. I live near a 1.5km PCN where there are many dog owners walking their dogs on a daily basis. I've stayed there for close to a decade and jog there almost 2 to 3 times weekly. I have never encountered any dog feces because dog owners around that area are responsible owners.

What you have highlighted are irresponsible behavior by people. 

Yesterday while waiting for the bus, I saw a middle aged man getting down from his van around 50m away, and dumping a used red plastic bag onto a pile of dead branches prob cut down earlier by ENV workers. That is an example of the ugly inconsiderate behavior of humans.

IMHO.
You saw what you could see. 
I hope your PCN have well constructed lamp-post.

An area close to my place,   if i go at the correct timing,  the dog poop is there.  If i go at the correct timing,  the dog poop is not there.  

6 minutes ago, StreetFight3r said:

keep the cats at home then wont anyhow poop liao

same for how we dun let our dogs anyhow roam

if anyhow roam = stray dog

same for cats ah tio?

IIRC,  Tiong Bahru got one cat call Bob or something.  

1 hour ago, Jman888 said:

no household should keep pets, better if each RC or CC build a small pet farm where they have cats, dog, rabbits, hamsters, chicken running around. Anyone who want to give love to animal can go there for 2 hours to enjoy themselves, no need to worry about cleaning up and causing inconvenience to other  :D

dont anyhow lah.

this will be expensive. 

$50 per household to help maintain farm lol

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

'It's only a problem when some owner want cats but still insist on letting their cats roam freely 

Those should be punished but dun penalise the rest of us from having cats'

Yes have laws to enforce this whether cat or dog or other animal. Be a responsible pet owner. Parking wardens they sub contracted out, surely the same can be done for enforcement of pets. Not to create 1 happy party and another unhappy one. Just ensure licence and tagging are done. Everyone is happy.

In NZ and Australia, owners need to neuter the cat, register it and keep it within the premises. We should have the same requirements.

Turbocharged
36 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
You saw what you could see. 
I hope your PCN have well constructed lamp-post.

An area close to my place,   if i go at the correct timing,  the dog poop is there.  If i go at the correct timing,  the dog poop is not there.  

That is why I say it all boils down to human behavior. I've seen owners (locals and foreigners) and domestic helpers cleaning up after their dogs' defecation. Some even wash down their dogs' pee from the lamp posts with a bottle of water.

There are well designed signs placed throughout the PCN reminding dog owners to be responsible and I guess those signs did their intended jobs.

It is all about education. But some humans are just arse holes and will never learn.

• Praise 2

Turbocharged
6 minutes ago, Kklim said:

In NZ and Australia, owners need to neuter the cat, register it and keep it within the premises. We should have the same requirements.

Besides some health and behavorial benefits, neutering the cats resolve the caterwauling issues so I am not sure why some cat owners do not neuter their cats.

Turbocharged
45 minutes ago, StreetFight3r said:

great analysis. 

din know can tell so much abt a cat just by its appearance hahaa

I've been loved for 2 decades by 6 felines.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, Kxbc said:

All these are irresponsible pet ownership behavior by humans. 

Cats are easily kept indoors. They can be easily entertained indoors with the right tools eg high points, balls of crumpled paper to chase around. When kept indoors, there is no public defecation issue as highlighted. And community cats bury their poop in sandy places if they can find one. It's hardwired into their DNA.

Dogs are taken out for walks to burn off their excessive energy. Some dogs pee and defecate outside. It is the responsibility of the owners to clean up after them. I live near a 1.5km PCN where there are many dog owners walking their dogs on a daily basis. I've stayed there for close to a decade and jog there almost 2 to 3 times weekly. I have never encountered any dog feces because dog owners around that area are responsible owners.

What you have highlighted are irresponsible behavior by people. 

Yesterday while waiting for the bus, I saw a middle aged man getting down from his van around 50m away, and dumping a used red plastic bag onto a pile of dead branches prob cut down earlier by ENV workers. That is an example of the ugly inconsiderate behavior of humans.

Yes, irresponsible behavior. The fact is that there will be a lot more irresponsible behavior if you allow pet keeping in HDB.

Keep the ban - just like how PMD was banned due to irresponsible behavior by some people.

2 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

Besides some health and behavorial benefits, neutering the cats resolve the caterwauling issues so I am not sure why some cat owners do not neuter their cats.

Isn't neutering a form of animal cruelty? Imagine someone catch you and castrate you - i think I die better.

2 hours ago, Victor68 said:

'It's only a problem when some owner want cats but still insist on letting their cats roam freely 

Those should be punished but dun penalise the rest of us from having cats'

Yes have laws to enforce this whether cat or dog or other animal. Be a responsible pet owner. Parking wardens they sub contracted out, surely the same can be done for enforcement of pets. Not to create 1 happy party and another unhappy one. Just ensure licence and tagging are done. Everyone is happy.

Did you also propose for enforcement on dangerous PMD riders and letting those responsible ones continue?

I think the logic is quite similar.

5 minutes ago, Kxbc said:

That is why I say it all boils down to human behavior. I've seen owners (locals and foreigners) and domestic helpers cleaning up after their dogs' defecation. Some even wash down their dogs' pee from the lamp posts with a bottle of water.

There are well designed signs placed throughout the PCN reminding dog owners to be responsible and I guess those signs did their intended jobs.

It is all about education. But some humans are just arse holes and will never learn.

IMHO.
I never disagree that is not human behaviour. 
I can't recall the signs clearly,  do they indicate how much is the fine? 

Actually,   if the lamp post is not well constructed,  washing down with water could be worse.

5 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Isn't neutering a form of animal cruelty? Imagine someone catch you and castrate you - i think I die better.

IMHO.
To let a dog roam freely is a form of cruelty.
To leash a dog is a form of cruelty. 

9 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

Keep the ban - just like how PMD was banned due to irresponsible behavior by some people.

IMHO.  If there were enforcement on PMD,   it will not end up being banned.

• Praise 1

Turbocharged
2 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
I never disagree that is not human behaviour. 
I can't recall the signs clearly,  do they indicate how much is the fine? 

Actually,   if the lamp post is not well constructed,  washing down with water could be worse.

It is not a "fine" sign. It encourages dog owners to pick up after their dogs.

I am not a materials engineer but washing it down with water immediately after the pee should help to spread the pee into the grass. The same happens when it rains. Isn't it the same - pour water and raining impact on the lamp post?

Turbocharged
11 minutes ago, ToyotaShuttle said:

My boy cat was neutered at 6 months old 16 years ago. And here he is sleeping peacefully beside me while I work. Lost nothing of his male cat traits (he is top cat) at all. 

↡ Advertisement