Man picks up someone else's DBS bank card at Toa Payoh, enters '888888' & retrieves S$8,000 from account

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Man picks up someone else's DBS bank card at Toa Payoh, enters '888888' & retrieves S$8,000 from account

source: https://mothership.sg/2020/11/dbs-bank-card-pin-number-888888/

atm-bank-card-pin.jpg

A 39-year-old storeman has been sentenced to nine weeks' jail after picking up a bank card which was left behind at a DBS ATM machine in Toa Payoh.

He admitted to one count of dishonestly misappropriating the card and two counts of theft.

Accused took bank card left behind by previous ATM user

According to court documents, the incident happened on April 2 when the victim, 46-year-old man Goh Heng Yong forgot to take his bank card after making a bank transfer at an ATM machine at 222 Lorong 8 Toa Payoh.

When 39-year-old Yap Yi San went to that machine, he found the card in the card slot of the ATM machine.

He kept the card, went to another ATM machine at 500 Toa Payoh Lorong 6, and attempted to guess the PIN number.

Guessed the PIN number right on third attempt

On his third try, he managed to guess the PIN Number right which was a series of the number "8".

Yap then withdrew S$2,000 from the machine before going to another ATM machine to withdraw more money.

At 1:33am on April 3, Goh made a police report stating that he had forgotten to take his bank card after using it at the ATM machine. Prior to that, he had also found out that there were unauthorised transactions amounting to S$8,000.

On Nov. 18, Yap admitted to his offence in court and has made full restitution to Goh.

Yap was sentenced to nine weeks' jail eventually. The district judge said the sentence serves as a "sufficient deterrent" to dissuade others from committing similar offences, according to The Straits Times.

For those who are still using 123456,888888 as password, please go and change now. at least change to 321654. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

Really guessed correctly? 
hard to believe one can guess correctly so easily but 888888.... 

Don’t know if his friends got laugh at him anot... 

46yo only leh. I thought it's an elderly person who left behind the atm card.

I bet many user also use very simple 6-digit pin.

Edited by Watwheels

Like that also can guess correctly the pin number? :o So did this guy must be always tio 4D since he is so good in guessing numbers?! Lol.

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Like that also can guess correctly the pin number? :o So did this guy must be always tio 4D since he is so good in guessing numbers?! Lol.

I suspect while he was standing behind the fellow he might have saw him entering the pin.

2 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

46yo only leh. I thought it's an elderly person who left behind the atm card.

Forgetful and careless not necessary link to age de. Lol.

6 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Forgetful and careless not necessary link to age de. Lol.

Dunno lah. The sequence is always the card eject first before the cash. Maybe he's distracted by using the phone at the same time.

Sian 1/2 if banks start to prompt ppl to change pin periodically. Maybe they should reject pins of the same digits.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Haha! 1

4 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Dunno lah. The sequence is always the card eject first before the cash. Maybe he's distracted by using the phone at the same time.

Sian 1/2 if banks start to prompt ppl to change pin periodically. Maybe they should reject pins of the same digits.

That guy maybe more kan cheong in taking the money but not the card. But i thought ATM machine would 'swallow' the card back into the machine if the card is not taken out within a time limit?

3 minutes ago, 13177 said:

That guy maybe more kan cheong in taking the money but not the card. But i thought ATM machine would 'swallow' the card back into the machine if the card is not taken out within a time limit?

As the card is being ejected got sound wan what. What are the chances he's both deaf and forgetful? 

Time limit set very long.

19 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Read carefully.... the victim did a bank transfer at the atm. No money come out one. Hence done already, forgetful to take card. But seriously, who sets their password 888888? I thought only pioneer gen or merdeka gen might..

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

27 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

I heard someone here used the password "iluvsex" ...but can't be atm coz 7 characters liow

ATM cannor use alphabet characters le, must be some password to login mcf? Lol.

↡ Advertisement