"Hey Mercedes, are you OK?"

Carbon82

If I can ask one question via the new MBUX (Mercedes-Benz User Experience) infotainment system, this will be on the top of my list. I have mentioned countless times that EVs & AVs are just like COVID-19 in the automotive world, which is going to reset the whole automotive scene over the next couple of years, and even the world's oldest car manufacturer, Mercedes-Benz, cannot not escape this test of cruelty... 

And no matter Trump or other world leaders like it or not, the whole automotive and related industries are going to be heavily dependent on China in the next decade or 2... For those that are still having the old mindset that China is lacking behind in technology and quality aspect, time to open your eye to see the real world.

Daimler will shrink with shift to EVs, AVs, CEO says

Daimler%20Kallenius%20BB%20web_1.jpg

FRANKFURT -- Daimler will be a smaller company five years from now, focused on capturing recurring revenues with software-based services as Mercedes-Benz seeks to redefine luxury in an era of electric and self-driving cars, CEO Ola Kallenius said.

The Stuttgart-based company founded by Carl Benz, who patented the first gasoline-powered car in 1886, is accelerating plans to shift the automaker beyond combustion-engine vehicles, a step which will result in job losses.

"The next five years we will become a smaller company," Kallenius told a Reuters Events broadcast on Thursday. "We will have a fundamental change in the industrial footprint on the powertrain side," he said.

Jobs will disappear because it takes less time to build an electric car than a conventional gasoline or diesel version.

That's because an electric car's battery and motor have only 200 components, compared with at least 1,400 parts found in a combustion engine and transmission, according to analysts at ING.

The shift away from fossil fuel requires the automaker to double down on efficiency so it can free up resources to build electric and self-driving cars, Kallenius said.

"We are hiring a lot of new software engineers, experts in battery chemistry, electrification," he explained.

Making Daimler smaller also fits with a new era where luxury no longer defines itself through opulence and excess but also through sustainability and efficiency.

"There is no doubt in our minds that the footprint that this product leaves on this Earth needs to be smaller. That is part of the modern luxury promise," Kallenius said.

Mercedes-Benz is tapping engineering expertise from its Formula One team to build the EQXX, an electric vehicle which aims to be the most efficient vehicle capable of taking passengers from Stuttgart, Germany, to Marseille, France, on a single charge.

"It is a pre-development project to introduce new technologies," Kallenius said.

Daimler also wants to offer customers new digital services so it can make money with new, recurring sources of revenue such as assisted driving functionalities and infotainment services when it unveils a new vehicle operating system in 2024.

"Think about it like an iPhone," Kallenius said, explaining that with new software updates, new services and functions can be included.

"You can add to it," he said. "That’s the beauty of it."

To invest in digital tech, Daimler plans to tap growth in China, potentially by building new models in the market where Mercedes-Benz sees the biggest growth potential over the next 10 years.

"If we have individual models which reach a critical mass in China ... that’s possible," Kallenius said, adding that no decision has been made to localise production of new models.

"It depends on how the market develops," he said.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 13

After ditching Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliances, it is now heading for the arms of Geely. Not really a surprising move, considering that Geely already has 9.69% stake in Daimler...

Daimler and Geely collaborate to develop 'a highly efficient modular engine'

BERLIN — German car maker Daimler said on Tuesday it will cooperate with China's Geely to build next-generation combustion engines for use in hybrid vehicles.

Efforts to share development costs come as the growth potential for combustion engines faces the twin threat of the COVID-19 crisis and stricter fuel-efficiency and emission rules.

"The companies plan to develop a highly efficient modular engine," a spokesman for Daimler said, adding that it would be used in hybrid drivetrains and manufactured in Europe and China.

Geely declined to comment.

The modular engine will be used in cars under different marques at Geely and Daimler, a person familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity as the companies are still in the early stages of developing the engine.

News of the alliance was a surprise to Daimler's works council at its factory in Untertuerkheim, which specializes in electric and gasoline powertrain assembly.

"We are speechless. There was not even a discussion about potential alternative manufacturing locations," said Michael Haeberle, the works council chief for Untertuerkheim.

"We have the ability to build four-cylinder engines in Untertuerkheim, but there were no talks about it."

Daimler said German factories will be retooled gradually to add electric drivetrains production.

Most of the next-generation combustion engines will be made in China, business daily Handelsblatt reported. The alliance with Geely, which owns a 9.69% stake in Stuttgart-based Daimler, means that parts of Daimler's existing partnership with Renault could be pared back.

A Renault source told Reuters that the Daimler-Geely project does not mean an end of cooperation between Daimler and Renault.

Citing Daimler sources, Handelsblatt said the Daimler-Geely pact would save the German carmaker a "triple-digit million sum" — implying an amount above 100 million euros ($119 million) and less than 1 billion euros.

• Praise 14

China is already manufacturing mercedes benz for a long time for it's domestic market. I read many owners also buying accessories from there instead of Germany. 

• Praise 1

And that's not all, remember EV is the forte of Chinese...

Geely’s Electric Architecture May Underpin Mercedes Models

Zhejiang Geely Holding Group Co., the Chinese carmaker whose stable of brands includes Volvo and Lotus, said the underpinnings of a new electric model coming next year will be offered up to other manufacturers.

The architecture Geely developed for the Lynk & Co. Zero Concept unveiled Wednesday is an open-source platform available for other companies to use. Geely is in talks to license the technology to several other manufacturers, including Mercedes-Benz maker Daimler AG, according to a Geely spokesperson.

“Our development of this transformative electric-vehicle architecture marks the biggest leap forward at Geely in more than a decade,” Li Shufu, the automaker’s billionaire founder, said in a statement. “This far-reaching innovation will greatly expand the volume and scalability of our zero-emission models.”

While demand for electric vehicles is outpacing cars running on combustion engines, they still represent a small portion of global sales. With batteries still years away from rivaling gas-guzzling powertrains in price, automakers around the globe are joining forces to share the burden of bringing EVs to market.

Daimler declined to confirm the talks. Mercedes plans to flank its flagship S-Class sedan next year with a purely battery-powered sibling dubbed EQS, which will be based on the brand’s first dedicated electric-car underpinnings.

Geely spent four years and 18 billion yuan ($2.65 billion) developing the architecture, An Conghui, the Hangzhou-based company’s president, told reporters at a presentation ahead of the 2020 Beijing International Automotive Exhibition, which kicks off later this week. It will underpin EVs that are expected to offer as much as 700 kilometers (435 miles) of driving range between charges.

The carmaking group run by Li, who is worth about $17.8 billion, sold around 2.2 million vehicles last year. It is Daimler’s largest shareholder with an almost 10% stake.

• Praise 9

Now, anyone intent to stop buying Mercedes-Benz? (Just like some stop considering Volvo when it was bought over by Geely 10 years ago).

Geely and Mercedes complete Smart joint venture in China

1geelysmart2.jpg?itok=0totMWYX

Chinese giant Geely and Mercedes-Benz have completed a 50:50 joint venture that will build Smart models in China, Reuters reports. 

Said to have now received regulatory approval from Chinese authorities, the deal will lead to each company investing $780 million (£594m) in the company. 

It will be based in the Chinese coastal city of Ningbo, where manufacturing will take place. Sales operations will jointly commence in China and Germany. 

Under the deal, production of Smart cars will move to China, with new electric-only models arriving from 2022. Mercedes will lead the design and styling, while Geely - which owns Volvo and Lotus - will lead the engineering.

As part of the new product plan, of which precise details haven't yet been disclosed, Smart will expand into the B-segment. The deal is intended to further develop Smart as “a leader in premium and intelligent electrified vehicles”, according to a joint statement from Geely and Mercedes parent company Daimler. Smart last year became an electric-only brand. 

Geely chairman Li Shufu said: “We fully respect the value of Smart. 

"As equal partners, we're dedicated to promoting the Smart brand globally.”

Until the new models launch in 2022, current Smart cars will continue to be made at Daimler’s plants at Hambach in France and Novo Mesto in Slovenia.

Daimler will also invest around £427m in Hambach to prepare it for production of a compact vehicle in its EQ electric range.

The joint venture will be headed by a board of six directors, split evenly between Daimler and Geely.

• Praise 12
  • Haha! 1

18 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

After ditching Renault-Nissan-Mitsubishi alliances, it is now heading for the arms of Geely. Not really a surprising move, considering that Geely already has 9.69% stake in Daimler...

Daimler and Geely collaborate to develop 'a highly efficient modular engine'

BERLIN — German car maker Daimler said on Tuesday it will cooperate with China's Geely to build next-generation combustion engines for use in hybrid vehicles.

Efforts to share development costs come as the growth potential for combustion engines faces the twin threat of the COVID-19 crisis and stricter fuel-efficiency and emission rules.

"The companies plan to develop a highly efficient modular engine," a spokesman for Daimler said, adding that it would be used in hybrid drivetrains and manufactured in Europe and China.

Geely declined to comment.

The modular engine will be used in cars under different marques at Geely and Daimler, a person familiar with the matter said on condition of anonymity as the companies are still in the early stages of developing the engine.

News of the alliance was a surprise to Daimler's works council at its factory in Untertuerkheim, which specializes in electric and gasoline powertrain assembly.

"We are speechless. There was not even a discussion about potential alternative manufacturing locations," said Michael Haeberle, the works council chief for Untertuerkheim.

"We have the ability to build four-cylinder engines in Untertuerkheim, but there were no talks about it."

Daimler said German factories will be retooled gradually to add electric drivetrains production.

Most of the next-generation combustion engines will be made in China, business daily Handelsblatt reported. The alliance with Geely, which owns a 9.69% stake in Stuttgart-based Daimler, means that parts of Daimler's existing partnership with Renault could be pared back.

A Renault source told Reuters that the Daimler-Geely project does not mean an end of cooperation between Daimler and Renault.

Citing Daimler sources, Handelsblatt said the Daimler-Geely pact would save the German carmaker a "triple-digit million sum" — implying an amount above 100 million euros ($119 million) and less than 1 billion euros.

Very clever of the dame.

Now they have access to Proton artificial intelligence top secret technology.

:D

I call it bolehland logic.

Not many people are smart enough to work it out.

If you also cannot understand I don't blame you.

• Haha! 2

MY AI

can even defy Logic.

So wifey was right all along.

My MIL IS very smart.

She also can defy Logic.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

35 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

MY AI

can even defy Logic.

So wifey was right all along.

My MIL IS very smart.

She also can defy Logic.

Over the years we have come to know your MIL quite well through you. Wonder what she looks like?

• Haha! 3

Already see quite a number of MG on the road. 

Last year in Shanghai, take a ride in a friend new Roewe (former Rover) hybrid SUV model. Was also very impress by the quality of the car. 

Compared to 20 years ago, where the street are running with old VW Santana and small Daihatsu Charade, their car technology already advanced giant step improvement. 

• Praise 3

China car manufacturers always need to have joint venture in order to be successful eg. Geely on Volvo and Mercedes etc. Reason? As Long as Chinese consumers or the richer Chinese see their Chinese brand no up dun buy the western moon is rounder mentality, Chinese car makers can never stand on their own feet, always need a crutches aka European brand to support 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, andrewyewkc said:

Over the years we have come to know your MIL quite well through you. Wonder what she looks like?

Thank you for asking.

This one was taken last year when she went to visit her relatives in Japan.

:grin:

She resting after a long day out.

image.thumb.png.f758feaece45b981da0d19841cb90212.png

This one she a bit angry when I woke her up from her nice sleep.

image.thumb.png.827a613b214330e65eba360341a51ffb.png

• Haha! 4

4 hours ago, mersaylee said:

Where's BYD nowadays? WB invested heavily on this coy many moons ago...i only see their small fleet taxi here... 

Wowo aiming to go full electric liao 😩

You have been missing a lot of news (and posts in MCF). BYD has introduced new (safer) batteries, start delivering their Tesla Model 3 equivalent Han EV, and not forgetting the much talk about JV with Toyota.

4 hours ago, Zxcvb said:

China is already manufacturing mercedes benz for a long time for it's domestic market. I read many owners also buying accessories from there instead of Germany. 

Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc. has JV with local auto manufacturer to assemble their cars (some of which China only model) for the Chinese market. Nothing new. For Mercedes, their car in China are built by Beijing Benz, a JV between BAIC Motor and  Diamler AG, whereas for BMW, their cars are built by BMW Brillance, a JV between BMW AG & Brillance China Automotive. 

3 hours ago, Watwheels said:

The Chinese EV makers advancement is very fast. Even the veteran European car makers have to play catchup.

They started early. When we just started seeing RD plate Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i-MiEV on our road in 2012, charging points were abundant in China (Xiamen, Beijing, Shanghai, etc.), and I spotted many more EVs in a single trip to China (in 2012) than what I can count in Singapore in a year. And while the majority of the European, Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers has been downsizing their engine by TC, or employing hybrid / mild hybrid in bid to meet stricter emission target, Chinese has been building up their EV empire as well as the supply chain.

It was until the last 2 years that manufacturers in other part of the world started to realize what they have been missing (and missing the EV train so to speak).

1 hour ago, Tohto said:

Already see quite a number of MG on the road. 

Last year in Shanghai, take a ride in a friend new Roewe (former Rover) hybrid SUV model. Was also very impress by the quality of the car. 

Compared to 20 years ago, where the street are running with old VW Santana and small Daihatsu Charade, their car technology already advanced giant step improvement. 

I sat in a friend's BYD Song Max hybrid in late 2018 (in China), and walked away very impressed. Then saw the improved Song Max EV at this year Singapore Motorshow, again, nothing much for me to fault.

Yes, you can't hardly find any old Santana or Xiali (Charade based compact) on streets in China of late. In fact the % of EV on their street in major cities, e.g. Qingdao are easily 5% or more, based on my observation.

1 hour ago, D3badge said:

China car manufacturers always need to have joint venture in order to be successful eg. Geely on Volvo and Mercedes etc. Reason? As Long as Chinese consumers or the richer Chinese see their Chinese brand no up dun buy the western moon is rounder mentality, Chinese car makers can never stand on their own feet, always need a crutches aka European brand to support 

It should be the other way round. It is now Japanese and European manufacturers rushing to setup JV with China companies, in bid to speed up EVs development (and lowering R&D cost).

In case you are not aware, they are many EV brands unheard off in Singapore, but already making wave in other part of the world. These are just a few...

Xpeng

xpeng-motors-xpeng-p7-china-2020-13-min.

NIO

6b5264dacd9f4577163095d01407e34e.jpg

Lynk & Co

2021-Lynk-Co-06-China-spec-0-1.jpg

Byton

Cropped-1577209848TX5032P121819%E3%82%B3

• Praise 12

15 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

You have been missing a lot of news (and posts in MCF). BYD has introduced new (safer) batteries, start delivering their Tesla Model 3 equivalent Han EV, and not forgetting the much talk about JV with Toyota.

Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, etc. has JV with local auto manufacturer to assemble their cars (some of which China only model) for the Chinese market. Nothing new. For Mercedes, their car in China are built by Beijing Benz, a JV between BAIC Motor and  Diamler AG, whereas for BMW, their cars are built by BMW Brillance, a JV between BMW AG & Brillance China Automotive. 

They started early. When we just started seeing RD plate Renault Zoe, Nissan Leaf, Mitsubishi i-MiEV on our road in 2012, charging points were abundant in China (Xiamen, Beijing, Shanghai, etc.), and I spotted many more EVs in a single trip to China (in 2012) than what I can count in Singapore in a year. And while the majority of the European, Japanese and Korean auto manufacturers has been downsizing their engine by TC, or employing hybrid / mild hybrid in bid to meet stricter emission target, Chinese has been building up their EV empire as well as the supply chain.

It was until the last 2 years that manufacturers in other part of the world started to realize what they have been missing (and missing the EV train so to speak).

I sat in a friend's BYD Song Max hybrid in late 2018 (in China), and walked away very impressed. Then saw the improved Song Max EV at this year Singapore Motorshow, again, nothing much for me to fault.

Yes, you can't hardly find any old Santana or Xiali (Charade based compact) on streets in China of late. In fact the % of EV on their street in major cities, e.g. Qingdao are easily 5% or more, based on my observation.

It should be the other way round. It is now Japanese and European manufacturers rushing to setup JV with China companies, in bid to speed up EVs development (and lowering R&D cost).

In case you are not aware, they are many EV brands unheard off in Singapore, but already making wave in other part of the world. These are just a few...

Xpeng

xpeng-motors-xpeng-p7-china-2020-13-min.

NIO

6b5264dacd9f4577163095d01407e34e.jpg

Lynk & Co

2021-Lynk-Co-06-China-spec-0-1.jpg

Byton

Cropped-1577209848TX5032P121819%E3%82%B3

Look like Tesla, Hyundai, Swift and Citroen.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

I quite like the NIO ES8(saw the video on youtube) whereby they have kiosk or station to do automated battery pack switch/swap instead of traditional charging. I'm not sure how their service works but that could potentially mean the car buyer dont have to bare the cost of the battery pack. He/she most likely just have to pay for the service. It's a great long term solution for the owner. Now the biggest con of owning an EV is the lump sum of cost you have to provide upfront when the battery warranty is over....and the down time to replace the battery since there is no ready stock. What lousy service.

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Jamesc said:

Thank you for asking.

This one was taken last year when she went to visit her relatives in Japan.

:grin:

She resting after a long day out.

image.thumb.png.f758feaece45b981da0d19841cb90212.png

This one she a bit angry when I woke her up from her nice sleep.

image.thumb.png.827a613b214330e65eba360341a51ffb.png

Errrr, does she have the habit of posting on facebook?

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehahahahahaha!:grin:

Edited by Fitvip
  • Haha! 5

Yes she loves the attention.

9 minutes ago, Fitvip said:

Errrr, does she have the habit of posting on facebook?

heeheeheeheeheeheeheeheehahahahahaha!:grin:

↡ Advertisement