Jump to content
yellowshaun

sgcarmart Car of the Year 2020

Recommended Posts

2nd Gear (edited)

https://www.sgcarmart.com/coty2020/vote.php

Does anybody know how the cars are nominated? Is it the dealers must pay money to sgcarmart to get featured in each of the "contest" category? Got a few puzzling omissions that I cant get my head around!

 

Like how on earth the Honda Jazz/Fit, which is probably the best selling compact hatchback is not even on the list and instead it's the MB Space Star and Seat Ibiza vying for the honours lol! Just look at the Honda HB sales figures!

Also the beloved Avante (not me, but guessing from the ever popular thread) is nowhere to be seen?!

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/who_we_are/statistics_and_publications/statistics/pdf/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

 

Edited by yellowshaun
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5th Gear (edited)
5 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

https://www.sgcarmart.com/coty2020/vote.php

Does anybody know how the cars are nominated? Is it the dealers must pay money to sgcarmart to get featured in each of the "contest" category? Got a few puzzling omissions that I cant get my head around!

 

Like how on earth the Honda Jazz/Fit, which is probably the best selling compact hatchback is not even on the list and instead it's the MB Space Star and Seat Ibiza vying for the honours lol! Just look at the Honda HB sales figures!

Also the beloved Avante (not me, but guessing from the ever popular thread) is nowhere to be seen?!

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/who_we_are/statistics_and_publications/statistics/pdf/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

 

i think its by release year/cut off date for launch

if the model not release last year then no

so im guessin avante will be in coty 2022

n if jazz comes in 2021 then it will be next coty 2022 too

definitely no fit cos fit is PI

Edited by StreetFight3r
  • Praise 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

I have not voted for the longest time as the "nominees" are all crap in my opinion.

  • Haha! 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Gear (edited)
35 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I have not voted for the longest time as the "nominees" are all crap in my opinion.

Right! The reviewers (esp the video reviewers) in SG wah really very very jia lat... Whereas Malaysia has quite decent (and objective) ones like wapcar, autobuzz etc...

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1st Gear (edited)
54 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

https://www.sgcarmart.com/coty2020/vote.php

Does anybody know how the cars are nominated? Is it the dealers must pay money to sgcarmart to get featured in each of the "contest" category? Got a few puzzling omissions that I cant get my head around!

 

Like how on earth the Honda Jazz/Fit, which is probably the best selling compact hatchback is not even on the list and instead it's the MB Space Star and Seat Ibiza vying for the honours lol! Just look at the Honda HB sales figures!

Also the beloved Avante (not me, but guessing from the ever popular thread) is nowhere to be seen?!

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/who_we_are/statistics_and_publications/statistics/pdf/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

 

sell v well, cause of space n honda branding.  i believe now , 2020, still got ppl think the vtec can kui

but inside that car is so bare.

 

Edited by DylanChen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Right! The reviewers (esp the video reviewers) in SG wah really very very jia lat... Whereas Malaysia has quite decent (and objective) ones like wapcar, autobuzz etc...

Malaysia ones, I enjoyed YS Khong but for some, I find their accent of their Mandarin quite unbearable.

I would not say Singapore ones are very very jialat but there is definitely room for improvement 

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Should be for cars launched locally this year by a certain cut off date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2nd Gear (edited)
26 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Malaysia ones, I enjoyed YS Khong but for some, I find their accent of their Mandarin quite unbearable.

I would not say Singapore ones are very very jialat but there is definitely room for improvement 

I watched YS Khong's Avante review he just kept repeating the same words over and over again so i clicked the x button after a while. But even the not so good ones like Beng, Bobby (Evo Malaysia), at least when i watch their videos I learn something....

Our local ones, perhaps is best epitomized by this infamous absolutely uninformative video. You watch le then tell me what you have learnt =D

Thankfully we have a relatively decent reviewer in carbuyer.com.sg - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKC4jcGxlg_AyS12Dkgg2JQ

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
1 hour ago, StreetFight3r said:

i think its by release year/cut off date for launch

if the model not release last year then no

so im guessin avante will be in coty 2022

n if jazz comes in 2021 then it will be next coty 2022 too

definitely no fit cos fit is PI

Thanks for the explanation. 😂

Save myself the trouble. hahahah.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Malaysia ones, I enjoyed YS Khong but for some, I find their accent of their Mandarin quite unbearable.

I would not say Singapore ones are very very jialat but there is definitely room for improvement 

Which areas of improvement you like too see?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear (edited)
5 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Which areas of improvement you like too see?

Presentation. Sometimes it seems the reviewer is ill prepared.

What do you thin?

Edited by Lotr
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

I watched YS Khong's Avante review he just kept repeating the same words over and over again so i clicked the x button after a while. But even the not so good ones like Beng, Bobby (Evo Malaysia), at least when i watch their videos I learn something....

Our local ones, perhaps is best epitomized by this infamous absolutely uninformative video. You watch le then tell me what you have learnt =D

Thankfully we have a relatively decent reviewer in carbuyer.com.sg - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKC4jcGxlg_AyS12Dkgg2JQ

I didn't watch this particular SGCM review.

And I should also qualify by saying that I enjoyed YS Khong's Genting drives. I only ever watch one of his reviews.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

I guess your interpretation of COTY got some issues. For Sgporeans when they see this kinda award their brain is thinking "Perfect Car of the Year". Bao ka liao kinda mentality. It is not. Awards also got T&C to follow. 

Best question is ask yourself what are you looking for in a car. What are your priorities. That is more important to any award. Unless you are those kind who wants to hao lian to everyone you know. Then you look at the awards.

  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Lotr said:

And I should also qualify by saying that I enjoyed YS Khong's Genting drives. I only ever watch one of his reviews.

My fav one is the Type R (not the one with the fan) genting run where he never give chance and really went superrrrr fassttttt!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

I saw one from local boys on the new orh-dee A5 sportback...kept repeating their own statements which were already said and made earlier on...I guess they also feel kan cheong when recording the beedeo..

Most important thing I guess for our local reviewers to feel confident and not so 'buay zai', then their presentation will be more natural.

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Which areas of improvement you like too see?

Product knowledge, comfort in talking to a camera (as though talking to an acquaintance, not clowning around for no reason and putting up a lame act). And definitely most definitely objectivity. Our sgcarmart and ST's car reviewers like kenna bought over by the AD, only say the good stuff...

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×