sgcarmart Car of the Year 2020

yellowshaun

https://www.sgcarmart.com/coty2020/vote.php

Does anybody know how the cars are nominated? Is it the dealers must pay money to sgcarmart to get featured in each of the "contest" category? Got a few puzzling omissions that I cant get my head around!

Like how on earth the Honda Jazz/Fit, which is probably the best selling compact hatchback is not even on the list and instead it's the MB Space Star and Seat Ibiza vying for the honours lol! Just look at the Honda HB sales figures!

Also the beloved Avante (not me, but guessing from the ever popular thread) is nowhere to be seen?!

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/who_we_are/statistics_and_publications/statistics/pdf/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

Edited by yellowshaun
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 3

5 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Does anybody know how the cars are nominated? Is it the dealers must pay money to sgcarmart to get featured in each of the "contest" category? Got a few puzzling omissions that I cant get my head around!

Like how on earth the Honda Jazz/Fit, which is probably the best selling compact hatchback is not even on the list and instead it's the MB Space Star and Seat Ibiza vying for the honours lol! Just look at the Honda HB sales figures!

Also the beloved Avante (not me, but guessing from the ever popular thread) is nowhere to be seen?!

https://www.lta.gov.sg/content/dam/ltagov/who_we_are/statistics_and_publications/statistics/pdf/M03-Car_Regn_by_make.pdf

i think its by release year/cut off date for launch

if the model not release last year then no

so im guessin avante will be in coty 2022

n if jazz comes in 2021 then it will be next coty 2022 too

definitely no fit cos fit is PI

Edited by StreetFight3r
  • Praise 6

35 minutes ago, Turboflat4 said:

I have not voted for the longest time as the "nominees" are all crap in my opinion.

Right! The reviewers (esp the video reviewers) in SG wah really very very jia lat... Whereas Malaysia has quite decent (and objective) ones like wapcar, autobuzz etc...

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

54 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

sell v well, cause of space n honda branding.  i believe now , 2020, still got ppl think the vtec can kui

but inside that car is so bare.

Edited by DylanChen

17 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

Right! The reviewers (esp the video reviewers) in SG wah really very very jia lat... Whereas Malaysia has quite decent (and objective) ones like wapcar, autobuzz etc...

Malaysia ones, I enjoyed YS Khong but for some, I find their accent of their Mandarin quite unbearable.

I would not say Singapore ones are very very jialat but there is definitely room for improvement 

• Praise 2

26 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Malaysia ones, I enjoyed YS Khong but for some, I find their accent of their Mandarin quite unbearable.

I would not say Singapore ones are very very jialat but there is definitely room for improvement 

I watched YS Khong's Avante review he just kept repeating the same words over and over again so i clicked the x button after a while. But even the not so good ones like Beng, Bobby (Evo Malaysia), at least when i watch their videos I learn something....

Our local ones, perhaps is best epitomized by this infamous absolutely uninformative video. You watch le then tell me what you have learnt =D

Thankfully we have a relatively decent reviewer in carbuyer.com.sg - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKC4jcGxlg_AyS12Dkgg2JQ

Edited by yellowshaun
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, StreetFight3r said:

i think its by release year/cut off date for launch

if the model not release last year then no

so im guessin avante will be in coty 2022

n if jazz comes in 2021 then it will be next coty 2022 too

definitely no fit cos fit is PI

Thanks for the explanation. 😂

Save myself the trouble. hahahah.

• Haha! 1

33 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Which areas of improvement you like too see?

5 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Presentation. Sometimes it seems the reviewer is ill prepared.

What do you thin?

Edited by Lotr
  • Praise 1

14 minutes ago, yellowshaun said:

I watched YS Khong's Avante review he just kept repeating the same words over and over again so i clicked the x button after a while. But even the not so good ones like Beng, Bobby (Evo Malaysia), at least when i watch their videos I learn something....

Our local ones, perhaps is best epitomized by this infamous absolutely uninformative video. You watch le then tell me what you have learnt =D

Thankfully we have a relatively decent reviewer in carbuyer.com.sg - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKC4jcGxlg_AyS12Dkgg2JQ

I didn't watch this particular SGCM review.

And I should also qualify by saying that I enjoyed YS Khong's Genting drives. I only ever watch one of his reviews.

• Praise 1

I guess your interpretation of COTY got some issues. For Sgporeans when they see this kinda award their brain is thinking "Perfect Car of the Year". Bao ka liao kinda mentality. It is not. Awards also got T&C to follow. 

Best question is ask yourself what are you looking for in a car. What are your priorities. That is more important to any award. Unless you are those kind who wants to hao lian to everyone you know. Then you look at the awards.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

12 minutes ago, Lotr said:

And I should also qualify by saying that I enjoyed YS Khong's Genting drives. I only ever watch one of his reviews.

My fav one is the Type R (not the one with the fan) genting run where he never give chance and really went superrrrr fassttttt!

I saw one from local boys on the new orh-dee A5 sportback...kept repeating their own statements which were already said and made earlier on...I guess they also feel kan cheong when recording the beedeo..

Most important thing I guess for our local reviewers to feel confident and not so 'buay zai', then their presentation will be more natural.

• Haha! 1

22 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Product knowledge, comfort in talking to a camera (as though talking to an acquaintance, not clowning around for no reason and putting up a lame act). And definitely most definitely objectivity. Our sgcarmart and ST's car reviewers like kenna bought over by the AD, only say the good stuff...

• Praise 1