Car or Public Transport - the balance score card

carloverguy2017

24 minutes ago, Tohto said:

I always enjoy driving. Going out driving is always will be my choice. 

Sometime just to drive out at night to enjoy the drive. 

Only time that I have no choice not to drive is going out for dinner knowing that I will drink 2 glasses or 3.

Even though nowadays traffic gets more stressful to drive as compared to last time, but indeed i also enjoy and prefer to drive. But now would only prefer not to drive during peak hours, heavy and jam traffic gives me headache.  😅

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

18 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

I have young kids..  why would you need to send your kids to childcare in a car ? No childcare in your neighbourhood ?
I have more than 4 childcare centers all around my block where I stay. Spoilt for choices.

Take care of my kids with my wife, no maid no in laws. So from screaming newborn up to now. Convenience of driving a car as n when needed. Is a price willing to pay.. have to pay for the time saved etc.. 

• Praise 4

My home is 400m from the nearest bus stop, uphill. No shelter. Nearest MRT stations are a 1.5km unsheltered walk away or 15 mins by bus. Without a car or Grab, bringing groceries home is not  manageable. 

To go to Orchard or Raffles Place areas for errands alone, I take the bus and/or MRT off-peak hours. I find it more convenient and cheaper, after taking into account parking and ERP charges. I have retired so plenty of time.  Justification to drive in using reasoning of time is more precious than money no longer applies.

So why do I keep my luxury 2.0 TC car that depreciates daily?

-  It is like a hobby. I enjoy driving off-peak (isn't this reason alone enough?)

- I love to feel the revs climb, the balance of the car in wet corners (it is RWD) on winding roads. I live near to S Buona Vista Rd, Mt Faber. 

- My sporting hobbies involve carrying  bulky loads to places not served by public transport. No car I will have to Grab or taxi to and fro. Not so convenient late at night or early morning.

- A car makes going out as a family for a meal together convenient

- since I have a car at my disposal that even parked there incurs depreciation, road tax and insurance costs, I will drive it whenever it does not make sense to take public transport

- I love and have an interest in engine designs and workings. Since I was very young, I have been intrigued by camshafts, valves, carburettors (who still knows these) and cylinder heads. Triggered by seeing them stripped down at my neighbouring workshop. The name of the workshop?   Newton Enterprises. The legendary racing team that fielded conquering grey and white racing minis, Lotus Super 7, single-seater Brabham-Coventry Climax. I can proudly say that I saw and heard the Coventry Climax racing engine up close, albeit in a stationery car. Feeling a twin-cam/TC/counter-balanced/FI/16V engine in front revving smoothly is fun to me. 

In a nut-shell.  I drive because I can afford it, I enjoy it and most times driving makes the most sense in my circumstances. Even when my next home is very close to MRT, I will down size car as I see myself walking to the supermarkets more. I will still drive till the doctor says I am a danger to myself and others when I drive.

• Praise 4

I prefer taking public transport as I can spend the "travelling time" catching up with online news, watching dramas, replying whatsapp or simply surfing the net. Doing all these are impossible during driving

• Praise 1

I don't have time to slowly shop from one MRT station to another MRT station.

When i do go down town, is to get a specific item, eat lunch with friends or see  doctor, cos i don't enjoy browsing stuff.   

If i go neighbourhood mall, is to buy groceries, cut hair, do some essential stuff. Normally should not take more than couple of hours , so not too bothered by charges. 

Even if it takes longer, its once in a blue moon for me.

Different people different considerations, convenience is key thing for me.    

Edited by Tedlhw
typo
  • Praise 2

I  believe when I buy the car, I drive when I need to or if it conveniences me.  I dont drive if it makes my life inconvenient. 

Example

I go to work or certain places for hikes or shopping - I drive

I am going to town to do shopping and it's going to be very crowded - I take public transport (bus or MRT).  I rarely if ever take taxi or PHV now cos if I do, chances are high that i would rather drive.

Some people i know have the mentality that if you own a car, you must drive everywhere.  I disagree. You drive if it conveniences you.  You dont have to drive just to make it worth it.

• Praise 3

On 11/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, carloverguy2017 said:

Sometimes I find that driving a car out seems to be more of an inconvenient compare to public transport.

Don't get me wrong. Having a car park in the mall, with impromptu purchases, bags of groceries and big item stuffs definitely brings convenient when you know you have a car parked in the mall. Even a trip to Ikea will seems so much friendly when you know you can buy that cute chair for your kids or a small cabinet.

But sometimes when I drive to a mall, knowing I don't have a plan to buy any big items, lots of stuffs, etc. I would prefer to take the public transport.

Here is my balance score card to take public transport, in no priority orders ;

1. I can shop for as long as I wish, no having to worry about the cost of parking.

2. I can visit the mall without trying meet the hourly parking before 4:59 p.m. versus the per entry after 5:01 p.m.

3. I can mall hop from one MRT station to another one without worrying of exiting the carpark and entering another mall's carpark and incurring additional cost.

4. Especially convenient when I can shop from Orchard Ion all the way to Plaza Singapura without having to U turn to pick up the car.

What are your thought ?

Besides using the car for work, in fact if you don't even need a car for work, I think probably we will give up driving ?

Point number 4 has always been a problem when shopping with a car.

These days people buy online with door step delivery, no need for cars.

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:
Spoiler

I  believe when I buy the car, I drive when I need to or if it conveniences me.  I dont drive if it makes my life inconvenient. 

Example

I go to work or certain places for hikes or shopping - I drive

I am going to town to do shopping and it's going to be very crowded - I take public transport (bus or MRT).  I rarely if ever take taxi or PHV now cos if I do, chances are high that i would rather drive.

Some people i know have the mentality that if you own a car, you must drive everywhere.  I disagree. You drive if it conveniences you.  You dont have to drive just to make it worth it.

Totally agree with the point.

There are also people that find places far away just to 'make use' of their car when a drive nearby can yield the same outcome.

• Praise 1

5 hours ago, Achee said:

I prefer taking public transport as I can spend the "travelling time" catching up with online news, watching dramas, replying whatsapp or simply surfing the net. Doing all these are impossible during driving

Yes. Even though I always would drive. But when I took a public transport, I really can sit down and relax. Read and think about something less stress. Watch some Facebook video or post. 

I'd prefer to walk 15 minutes to my nearby mall if I'm alone. Driving there save 10 minutes of the distance. But after you parked the car, found the parking lot. Etc. It's also about 15 minutes. 

Here is my 2nd score card.

You've bought a car.

You're going to pay insurance anyway.

You pay for parking even if it's not moving.

I would just drive the car. Since thinking already paid, don't drive, wasted. But driving it out means you add more cost to the already paid out cost for the car anyway. 

Don't drive,take public transport, pay government while still being billed for a parked car. Also not worth it.

Hence this is one paradox for many drivers who still prefer to drive despite knowing it's just unnecessary. 

8 hours ago, Achee said:

Those who like to look at phone to catchup on things might prefer to take public transport or dont like to drive lo. Lol.

2 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

Don't drive,take public transport, pay government while still being billed for a parked car. Also not worth it.

I have a friend.  He lives in a hdb.  He drives a car but he found a place nearby where he could park for free (it's an industrial area). 

So yea he parked for free for a few years before he moved.  At his new place, there was no such place to park for free and only then did he buy the season parking.

This is really my friend.  Friend =/= me.  Just in case @Jamesc thinks i am referring to myself cos it does sound like what i would do...

:D

Edited by Philipkee
  • Haha! 4

1 minute ago, Philipkee said:

I have a friend.  He lives in a hdb.  He drives a car but he found a place nearby where he could park for free (it's an industrial area). 

So yea he parked for free for a few years before he moved.  At his new place, there was no such place to park for free and only then did he buy the season parking.

This is really my friend.  Friend =/= me.  Just in case @Jamesc thinks i am referring to myself cos it does sound like what i would do...

:D

Need to walk far from free parking to his house or not?

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, carloverguy2017 said:

Yes. Even though I always would drive. But when I took a public transport, I really can sit down and relax. Read and think about something less stress. Watch some Facebook video or post. 

Yeah, especially the drive to KL before COVID. I rather take a coach than drive myself, so much more relaxing.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:31 PM, carloverguy2017 said:

Sometimes I find that driving a car out seems to be more of an inconvenient compare to public transport.

Don't get me wrong. Having a car park in the mall, with impromptu purchases, bags of groceries and big item stuffs definitely brings convenient when you know you have a car parked in the mall. Even a trip to Ikea will seems so much friendly when you know you can buy that cute chair for your kids or a small cabinet.

But sometimes when I drive to a mall, knowing I don't have a plan to buy any big items, lots of stuffs, etc. I would prefer to take the public transport.

Here is my balance score card to take public transport, in no priority orders ;

1. I can shop for as long as I wish, no having to worry about the cost of parking.

2. I can visit the mall without trying meet the hourly parking before 4:59 p.m. versus the per entry after 5:01 p.m.

3. I can mall hop from one MRT station to another one without worrying of exiting the carpark and entering another mall's carpark and incurring additional cost.

4. Especially convenient when I can shop from Orchard Ion all the way to Plaza Singapura without having to U turn to pick up the car.

What are your thought ?

Besides using the car for work, in fact if you don't even need a car for work, I think probably we will give up driving ?

Honestly if u drive car u better be able to afford the parking fee. 

the convenience of driving car and the pleasure of cruising is shiok

only good thing about public transport is that u can play with ur phone and yes save $$$

Edited by Thaiyotakamli
  • Praise 1

On 11/21/2020 at 5:07 PM, 13177 said:

Quite true that if i want to go shopping at the whole stretch of orchard road indeed driving quite troublesome since i need to walk back to get my car and parking fee is not cheap. But if you plan to buy things along orchard rd, still good to have a car to transport your shopping bags. Lol.

Other than that, if most of the time if only go to one mall, driving still better than public transport la.

And if given a choice, i would still prefer to drive than take public transport no matter where i go. I dont like public transport at all even it is convenience, unless really cannot drive than no choice but to take public transport. 😂

Thats why i avoid going orchard

i rather go vivocity, big mall under one roof, cheaper parking rate and don’t have to deal with stupid parking ramp in orchard which is a waste of time driving in and out lol

23 hours ago, 13177 said:

Quite true, if only your house is near to mrt, taking mrt still quite ok if the train dont kana power failure again and got stuck inside the train. I hate taking buses, like what you said, long waiting time and jerky ride. Even though people might say buses now have improved a lot, with many new buses and shorter waiting time as compared to last time. But still find taking buses really wasting lots of time. Example if i need to take 2 buses to my destination, if each bus needs to wait 10 mins, i already wasted 20 mins of my time just to wait for the bus, still have not included the time taken on the bus ride. Lol.

Recently took bus few times after years of not taking one. Have to say bus service improved and waiting time much faster. Good thing during peak hour they use bus lane which is quite fast

bad thing the drivers foot all jerky doesnt know how to accelerate and brake properly. If u stand up sian, if u got seat good. But seat also on hard side. 

↡ Advertisement