Car or Public Transport - the balance score card

carloverguy2017

Totally agree with you, sometimes its chore, especially with heavy traffic and all, you wished you were taking public transport.

I especially liked driving during the lockdown period where the roads were almost emptied, parking was available everywhere.

• Praise 1

10 hours ago, Windwaver said:

Totally agree with the point.

There are also people that find places far away just to 'make use' of their car when a drive nearby can yield the same outcome.

In SG context, probably yes, because since you already paid so much for the car, might as well use it to its fullest! 

If one need to justify car ownership, it gives an impression, somehow one might be struggling to maintain it financially if not then don’t think so much and enjoy it🤣

Edited by Ginyu
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Totally agree with you, sometimes its chore, especially with heavy traffic and all, you wished you were taking public transport.

I especially liked driving during the lockdown period where the roads were almost emptied, parking was available everywhere.

Agreed, when i am stuck in a heavy traffic or even jam, i wish i am taking the train. Whether i am the one driving or just as a passenger.

At least for some, they consider letting the car go first. Worse if struggling but still holding on.

That said, there are friends who sold during current times because they felt they won't need a car for quite some time esp with WFH.

Neutral Newbie

For points 1-3, most singaporeans (at least from my circle), don't really care about parking costs.. convenience is priority. 

So, to me most of the points are already thrown out the window 😅

5 hours ago, Philipkee said:

Less than 5 minutes walk

15 hours ago, 13177 said:

Need to walk far from free parking to his house or not?

Wah, got free parking walk 10KM also can [lipsrsealed]

I know some people do that (less than 10KM la).

• Haha! 2

17 minutes ago, Windwaver said:

Wah, got free parking walk 10KM also can [lipsrsealed]

I know some people do that (less than 10KM la).

Dont think many people would want to walk far just for the free parking, imagine during hot weather or stormy weather, not very fun to walk a distance to and fro from the car la. [:p]

• Haha! 1

My take is that the car is for convenience. If the cost of parking and petrol is a concern, then no point owning a car unless you need it to earn a living.

Walking 15 mins for a free carpark doesn't seem to go well with the idea of convenience. Might as well pay for a grab. Cheaper than owning a car.

Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say about affordability. If the sole purpose of having a car is for convenience, walking for free parking is not convenient. So, you would rather  inconvenient yourself for parking so that you get the convenience of driving (sounds wrong to me)?

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Kevinhwc said:

My take is that the car is for convenience. If the cost of parking and petrol is a concern, then no point owning a car unless you need it to earn a living.

Walking 15 mins for a free carpark doesn't seem to go well with the idea of convenience. Might as well pay for a grab. Cheaper than owning a car.

Don't misunderstand what I'm trying to say about affordability. If the sole purpose of having a car is for convenience, walking for free parking is not convenient. So, you would rather  inconvenient yourself for parking so that you get the convenience of driving (sounds wrong to me)?

Some people say 10-15mins walking distance to mrt station is considered "convenient" and the property has "good location". So to each his own I guess. 

8 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Some people say 10-15mins walking distance to mrt station is considered "convenient" and the property has "good location". So to each his own I guess. 

Agree.... 10-15 walk to mrt is convenient provided I don't have a car... if I have a car and need to walk 10-15 mins just because of free parking, might as well just take MRT... don't need the car.

26 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

10-15 mins not consider very near, also must depend whether there is shelter or shady pavement and what clothing attire are you wearing lo. If you are wearing a long sleeve shirt and walk 10-15 mins, under the hot weather whole shirt sure sweat until wet. Or if during heavy rain, shoes and pants confirmed totally wet. Lol.

2 minutes ago, 13177 said:

10-15 mins not consider very near, also must depend whether there is shelter or shady pavement and what clothing attire are you wearing lo. If you are wearing a long sleeve shirt and walk 10-15 mins, under the hot weather whole shirt sure sweat until wet. Or if during heavy rain, shoes and pants confirmed totally wet. Lol.

Last time, my office is Centennial Tower.  The cheapest car park is at Flyer.

But have to walk in either hot sun or wet days.

18 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Last time, my office is Centennial Tower.  The cheapest car park is at Flyer.

But have to walk in either hot sun or wet days.

How far it takes?