Car or Public Transport - the balance score card

carloverguy2017

Actually in australia, sometimes the nearby parking lot is already 10-15 minutes walking distance cos it's either in another building OR the parking lot is very big.

• Praise 2

As an alternative to taking PT, as in my case, i ride to work during the weekdays. Driving is solely reserved for weekends and of course when i am on leave. 

This arrangement is fairly economical but granted, the risk exposure to the elements and idiotic drivers are much higher 🤞

3 hours ago, MaBoiBoi said:

As an alternative to taking PT, as in my case, i ride to work during the weekdays. Driving is solely reserved for weekends and of course when i am on leave. 

This arrangement is fairly economical but granted, the risk exposure to the elements and idiotic drivers are much higher 🤞

Then off peak car would be best for you.

17 hours ago, inlinesix said:

A lot of times spend on waiting for traffic light.  2 traffic crossing

This reminds me one of my friend who work in CBD, but parked somewhere which have cheaper parking but need to walk 8-10 mins to his office building from the carpark he parked. Seems like 8-10 mins like not very far but every morning basically he arrives in office after walking from the carpark his shirt was wet from sweating. Then if raining heavily, his shoe and bag would be wet and so he give up driving to work after parking there for 1 year, take MRT better since his office building is very near to MRT. Lol.

• Haha! 2

honestly in singapore people drive because they want to drive

almost nobody really needs to drive in sg

convenience all these is just bluffing oneself - if you taxi/grab everywhere also cheaper than owning and driving a car.

it's a lifestyle choice

Edited by wlalala
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, wlalala said:

honestly in singapore people drive because they want to drive

almost nobody really needs to drive in sg

convenience all these is just bluffing oneself - if you taxi/grab everywhere also cheaper than owning and driving a car.

it's a lifestyle choice

I agree. I have many friends and relatives who have gone through life raising up kids and having wheelchair elderly at home... and they are perfectly fine with taking bus/mrt/taxi/grab over the years. Who says this cannot be done, just that it is not convenient only.

Unless having a car is required for your work/biz, it's largely a lifestyle choice.

I find it amusing when people come into car forums and start to justify owning a car, especially on a cost basis... they're missing the point altogether on why people choose to drive in Singapore - the land of the most expensive cars in the world. 

3 minutes ago, Rickster said:

I agree. I have many friends and relatives who have gone through life raising up kids and having wheelchair elderly at home... and they are perfectly fine with taking bus/mrt/taxi/grab over the years. Who says this cannot be done, just that it is not convenient only.

Unless having a car is required for your work/biz, it's largely a lifestyle choice.

I find it amusing when people come into car forums and start to justify owning a car, especially on a cost basis... they're missing the point altogether on why people choose to drive in Singapore - the land of the most expensive cars in the world. 

For wheelchair elderly, only buy welcab MPV is convenient.

Normal MPV so mafan.  Order cab better

• Praise 2

On 11/22/2020 at 7:41 PM, carloverguy2017 said:

Here is my 2nd score card.

You've bought a car.

You're going to pay insurance anyway.

You pay for parking even if it's not moving.

I would just drive the car. Since thinking already paid, don't drive, wasted. But driving it out means you add more cost to the already paid out cost for the car anyway. 

Don't drive,take public transport, pay government while still being billed for a parked car. Also not worth it.

Hence this is one paradox for many drivers who still prefer to drive despite knowing it's just unnecessary. 

For this group of people, they should be selling their car and use the money they save to invest or spend on things  more meaningful in their eyes.

Why spend the money to drive and keep on cracking your brains on worth it or not worth it? C'mon, u just bought a car in the world's most expensive place to drive!

I believe most of the car owners in a car forum, who don't need a car for work/biz, is largely because of lifestyle choice. 

54 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

For wheelchair elderly, only buy welcab MPV is convenient.

Normal MPV so mafan.  Order cab better

Wheelchair elder better use sedan like 7er or superb. Mpv with sliding door not so convenient unless welcab like u

order cab worse. Nowadays cab getting small. Rain cannot get cab. Best drive own car

1 hour ago, Rickster said:

For this group of people, they should be selling their car and use the money they save to invest or spend on things  more meaningful in their eyes.

Why spend the money to drive and keep on cracking your brains on worth it or not worth it? C'mon, u just bought a car in the world's most expensive place to drive!

I believe most of the car owners in a car forum, who don't need a car for work/biz, is largely because of lifestyle choice. 

“Lifestyle” is spot on!

I want to “live” not “survive”.

Maybe that unfair statement can tilt the decision to purchase a car in the world’s most expensive place to drive  .... more justifiably. 🤔

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, Rickster said:

I am going to give an alternative view.

Driving USED to be cheaper than public transport.  During the GFC when COEs plunged and parking was not so expensive and there was cheap petrol in Malaysia, it was worth it.  I was also younger then and I went to places where public transport and taxis were inconvenient. Let you imagine where these places are.

I remember my aunt lecturing me then and my arguments

Your car is the most expensive - COE plunged.  Car prices are on par with the rest of the world

You dont drive to work cos parking is expensive- I am driving ROPC

Your petrol is expensive - I pump in Malaysia 

Your insurance is.... and she kept quiet cos she was selling me the car insurance :D

so it wasnt really more expensive to drive then.  And I believe a lot of people "acquired the taste of driving" then and now when cars are expensive, it's a habit that wont die.

I used to tell my bro.  Cars in singapore are actually not that expensive.  Its the first car that is really expensive cos that is when you start from Ncd 0%.... but once you hit NCD 50% and you want to change cars, even if cars are expensive, you have a car to trade in already.  I was fortunate that my first car was not that expensive during the GFC.

Edited by Philipkee
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Thaiyotakamli said:

Wheelchair elder better use sedan like 7er or superb. Mpv with sliding door not so convenient unless welcab like u

order cab worse. Nowadays cab getting small. Rain cannot get cab. Best drive own car

My neighborhood wheelbound charbor Kia has been using London Cab for years

In addition, there is maxi cab

Edited by inlinesix

26 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

My neighborhood wheelbound charbor Kia has been using London Cab for years

In addition, there is maxi cab

Maybe she got driver contact and become regular. 

however it will be a pain to call taxi during weekend in shopping malls or during rain. Experienced few times before when car broke down last time

now when if car stay for few days at workshop will rent car

↡ Advertisement