Symptoms of Bad Shocks

AHBA

Hi all, should the shocks become soft or stiff when they turned bad? What I was told & learned is the car will become bouncy when we pushed down on a corner of the car in the case of a bad shock. But what if the car couldn't be pushed down? Is that a sign of a bad shock too?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Why all the hassle of pushing down? Easiest way is to look at signs of oil leak on the shocks. It's most common before you feel anything.

If you service your car frequently like every 3 months your mechanic would have spotted the oil leak on the shocks. By the time you feel something means most of the oil is gone. This is kinda dangerous cos when your shocks are not in good condition, your car's grip level will be compromised. When you brake or when you turn your tires will lose grip. When your car goes to service the mechanic will do the multi point check and this is one of them, to check for oil leaks on the car's shocks.

If you hardly use your car and like service it once a year, then you will have to use your butt-feel. I dont recommend servicing your car every once a year especially when the car is more than 5yo.

• Praise 2

Internal Moderator
3 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Depend on what type of Cars,if Big Heavy & SuperCars,you could not press down a corner easily.

cuz the spring rate for such car are usually very hard. haha.

• Haha! 1

Butt feel is best. If the ride and handling become too bouncy and willowy like sampam, time to replace. Normal shocks should last more than 100k km though. Maybe even 200k. 

• Praise 1

12 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Butt feel is best. If the ride and handling become too bouncy and willowy like sampam, time to replace. Normal shocks should last more than 100k km though. Maybe even 200k. 

Not necessary bouncy and willowy like sampan.

For cars with stock RFT, must make sure that correct tyre is maintained.

Otherwise, it will be bouncy and williowy.

Recently, i changed all 4 shocks as front mounting cracked.

After the change, i notice that the previous shock has no resistance for re-bounced.

1 of the telltale sign is re-bounce resistance.

Previous shock only lasted less than 80k km.

4 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

Yes, butt feel is the best

I refreshed my car's suspension at 6.5 year (193,000km), all four dampers looked pristine, no leakage at all but the ride was deteriorated 

my point is, oil leak is not a good indication of bad damper

• Praise 5

Just side track a bit,i find Singapore's Road Condition,are from 1st World to 3rd World Standard,from Bad to Worse,almost not a single road is Bump Free,make our Suspension System worn out faster than usual.

• Praise 4

41 minutes ago, ER-3682 said:

Just side track a bit,i find Singapore's Road Condition,are from 1st World to 3rd World Standard,from Bad to Worse,almost not a single road is Bump Free,make our Suspension System worn out faster than usual.

Not forgetting potholes...aplenty nowadays 🥴

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, ER-3682 said:

I changed my shocks recently. Almost 80k mileage 

2 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

Yes. I think our roads are quite ok when built and new. But the quality deteriorates faster as  they get digged and repaved relatively more often, cos everything is so congested on our tiny island. Too much construction activities within a tight area (underground roads, MRTs, pipes, wires, etc). I am not complaining cos we have not much choice since we are so small.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

It's actually even worse than in the 3rd World. 

I've driven in India. In a place like that, you remain on the alert for potholes and other hazards. But here in "fake news first world sg", you are lulled into a false sense of security. Good roads until - suddenly - BAM!! A massive pothole. Bent rim and worn shocks. 

And to be frank, the last time I went to India, I drove on one of the newer highways. It is better surfaced than a lot of Singapore's expressway's, no exaggeration. 

No need to even mention Malaysia. Their NSHW is no horse-run in most sections. Our expressways are woeful compared to their real highways.

Wonder what we're paying our MiniStars for. They keep insisting that it's to prevent corruption, but in this one respect, if the "corrupt" Malaysians can outshine our incorruptible, overpaid MiniStars, maybe there's something to be said for corruption after all. 🙄

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 1

1 of those badly patched road.  NOT my photo.

Upper Thomson Road towards Sembawang Road before junction of AMK Ave 1.

IMG_1720.JPG

Edited by inlinesix
  • Praise 3

On 11/24/2020 at 4:10 PM, Phang said:

Yes, butt feel is the best

I refreshed my car's suspension at 6.5 year (193,000km), all four dampers looked pristine, no leakage at all but the ride was deteriorated 

my point is, oil leak is not a good indication of bad damper

yes you are right, shock deteriorated with the internal wear and tear which not able to judge externally. 

oil leak is serious failure stage. only for those who want to use it till end of its life.. 

2 hours ago, Contipro said:

yes you are right, shock deteriorated with the internal wear and tear which not able to judge externally. 

oil leak is serious failure stage. only for those who want to use it till end of its life.. 

high end aftermarket dampers are rebuildable

overtime, the oil inside loses viscosity, seal leaks, nitrogen losing pressure 

fresh oil, new seals, nitrogen recharge will make the damper new again

they are more eco friendly comparing to our 'use and throw away' factory/lower end dampers 😁

Totally agree that our road condition in Singapore is actually worse than many developing countries that I've been to. I've seen one road near my place being dug and badly patched like in less than 3 months after the road has just been resurfaced.

Wonder what is LTA doing and who gives the approvals. Seems like there is no one looking at synchronising these kind of road works and therefore, cause unnecessary congestion and waste tax payer money on the constant need to resurface the roads due to too much digging.

Edited by Rickster
  • Praise 1

17 minutes ago, Phang said:

high end aftermarket dampers are rebuildable

overtime, the oil inside loses viscosity, seal leaks, nitrogen losing pressure 

fresh oil, new seals, nitrogen recharge will make the damper new again

they are more eco friendly comparing to our 'use and throw away' factory/lower end dampers 😁

yes, but unless you DIY remove and install at your car porch, where you can let the car sit while the shock gets rebuilt.  you need to pay labour 2 times and have a spare set while the other gets rebuild.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 2

59 minutes ago, Mkl22 said:

yes, but unless you DIY remove and install at your car porch, where you can let the car sit while the shock gets rebuilt.  you need to pay labour 2 times and have a spare set while the other gets rebuild.

yeah, time is money to both the workshops and car owners

we don't repair and rebuild car like last time, we changeout the faulty and worn parts

modern manufacturing process is so efficient now, it is probable faster and cheaper to make a new parts than to train a guy to have the skill to repair one

↡ Advertisement