MOM investigating firm after ex-employee committed suicide allegedly due to harsh working conditions

Ysc3

*A post that went viral on social media alleged that the former worker committed suicide after she was bullied and insulted at work

*In a suicide note, she mentioned the burden that she faced after she lost her job

*MOM said the worker did not make a report before her death in December last year.

*About 11 months later, on Oct 29, her mother contacted the ministry

*The firm’s director “strenuously denies” any bullying and verbal abuse at the workplace, and said the allegations were “baseless and malicious”

Read more at https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/mom-investigating-firm-after-ex-employee-committed-suicide-allegedly-due-harsh-working?cid=emarsys-today_TODAY's morning briefing for Nov 24, 2020 (ACTIVE)_newsletter_24112020_today

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 3
  • Sad 2

Unfortunately...Toxic bosses never admit toxicity.. even when things turn back on them,  they'll portray themselves as victims. 

It's like trump... he'll tweet and shout... but be in his own bubble.

Sometimes. you just have to tell someone to fxxk off if they go too far out of line. 

Failing which,  have colleagues you can talk to and release steam. 

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

one of the worst bosses i have ever met, before starting out on my own, is working in one of the big cinema chains here.

is a she😋😛

Edited by Staff69
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 2

8 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

many SME work culture are like that, a lot of abusive language flying around at work place. 

Last time I had a manager who scolded one worker very jialat....  I even thought the worker was the manager's illegitimate son.... Looking at the way he scolded the worker EVERYTIME. 

The mgr did not treat any one else like that... Only that particular guy. Yes,  the worker was quite blur... But I was really taken aback when I saw the scoldings ... And the guy still took it !

• Haha! 2

33 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

many SME work culture are like that, a lot of abusive language flying around at work place. 

Good help is hard to find. When you hire a person to do a job he/she cant even do it right. It will get on your nerves. 

You cant possibly deliver a half fxxk job to your customers. Face with datelines and competition can you afford to keep lousy workers?

Cannot always blame one party. SMEs in sgp are also faced with a lot of cost issues. It's natural bosses would want to make their money worth spending. Even when it comes to hiring.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2

When you work closely in the SME circle of these local bosses, you can see how they share the same culture. 

The scolding is very very very bad, shouting, yelling, crying happen all the time.

But then, it happen in every asian country, not sure about ang mo [laugh]

2 minutes ago, Jman888 said:

When you work closely in the SME circle of these local bosses, you can see how they share the same culture. 

The scolding is very very very bad, shouting, yelling, crying happen all the time.

But then, it happen in every asian country, not sure about ang mo [laugh]

It's not about ang moh or not.

It's about the size of the company. Big companies can afford to send employees for training and down time. SMEs cannot afford to do that. So the fastest way to train them is to scold until they know how to do it right. 🤣

• Haha! 3

10 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Yeah. I find that the work environment in Army camps are the worst.

Look at the way they treat recruits.  Scold vulgar language,  tekan people n still can get away with it.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

21 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Good help is hard to find. When you hire a person to do a job he/she cant even do it right. It will get on your nerves. 

You cant possibly deliver a half fxxk job to your customers. Face with datelines and competition can you afford to keep lousy workers?

Cannot always blame one party. SMEs in sgp are also faced with a lot of cost issues. It's natural bosses would want to make their money worth spending. Even when it comes to hiring.

Those who work in SMEs usually can't get employment in the big companies, so unlikely to be the best workers to start with. That can compound the competence issue. 

• Praise 2

2 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

Those who work in SMEs usually can't get employment in the big companies, so unlikely to be the best workers to start with. That can compound the competence issue. 

same reason why the employers can continue to exploit them knowing they won't resign.

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Look at the way they treat recruits.  Scold vulgar language,  tekan people n still can get away with it.

Those were the days.... Still happening now? 

8 minutes ago, RogerNg_185295 said:

Basically anyone with a higher rank can abuse anyone with a lower rank or no rank. And now the cracks are starting to show more and more. Trainees die during peace time training.

i'm surprised, but not shocked.

small businesses have their ways of doing things, so it's plausible such scolding culture could be deep-rooted.

Covid made many businesses close shop, so those who manage to stay afloat, would probably be fighting to remain that way.

Natural selection means that only those who can take it, will remain employed in such companies. Those who can't take it, should and would have left.

If the victim is a Singaporean, i will suspect that maybe the young gen now all strawberry, so are easily snapped... but this victim is a Malaysian, which the stereotyped me think maybe not so strawberry...

In any case, if the boss really forced the staff to snap, then something should be done to stop it from ever repeating.

Tragic... and sad...

• Praise 1

some of the abuse goes to the vendors. The "customer is always right " is the bane of many workers.

Else NTUC will not be putting up notices to say they will not tolerate abuse of their cashiers or staff.

And some of the vendors are as a result of working as a contracting entity with a 6 months money back guaranteed, else the employee have to compensate the firm.

MOM is still silent on this clause.

So the workers continue to be berated and abuse like working for a "snakehead" of our forefathers.

↡ Advertisement