MOM investigating firm after ex-employee committed suicide allegedly due to harsh working conditions

Ysc3

59 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Last time I had a manager who scolded one worker very jialat....  I even thought the worker was the manager's illegitimate son.... Looking at the way he scolded the worker EVERYTIME. 

The mgr did not treat any one else like that... Only that particular guy. Yes,  the worker was quite blur... But I was really taken aback when I saw the scoldings ... And the guy still took it !

You will not see this in a UK environment as the union will made sure that the abuse worker will be supported by the union with a lawsuit.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

i'm surprised, but not shocked.

small businesses have their ways of doing things, so it's plausible such scolding culture could be deep-rooted.

Covid made many businesses close shop, so those who manage to stay afloat, would probably be fighting to remain that way.

Natural selection means that only those who can take it, will remain employed in such companies. Those who can't take it, should and would have left.

If the victim is a Singaporean, i will suspect that maybe the young gen now all strawberry, so are easily snapped... but this victim is a Malaysian, which the stereotyped me think maybe not so strawberry...

In any case, if the boss really forced the staff to snap, then something should be done to stop it from ever repeating.

Tragic... and sad...

Did you read the news article?  I did not till i see your reply.

Apart from the director of the firm, eight former employees and two who are now working there spoke to TODAY on the condition that they not be named.

Several of the former employees who spoke to TODAY claimed that working conditions at the firm were “unbearable”. They also claimed that they had been verbally abused and insulted repeatedly during their employment. Some of them worked there for as long as eight months while a few left within days. However, a current employee, who has been working with the firm for over a year, said that while the director of the firm can be hot-tempered, he has good intentions. “He just wants his employees to be better, for their own good,” she said. 

Either this 8 is disgrunted employees out for revenge or there are more stories.

Sometime, ppl did not move with time.

Previously, can scold and scold.  Ppl will change after that.

Nowadays, can't do that anymore.  Ppl will just quit regardless of nationality.

What SME bosses don't realise a lot of time is that precious time is wasted to train a new hire.

Whereby it is more productive to retain good hire

• Haha! 1

14 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

You will not see this in a UK environment as the union will made sure that the abuse worker will be supported by the union with a lawsuit.

Spore unions all belong to govt.  Is there any real unions to speak of?

30 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Those were the days.... Still happening now? 

after so many cases now no more liao, now they will say 'please'  [laugh]

• Haha! 1

28 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

i'm surprised, but not shocked.

small businesses have their ways of doing things, so it's plausible such scolding culture could be deep-rooted.

Covid made many businesses close shop, so those who manage to stay afloat, would probably be fighting to remain that way.

Natural selection means that only those who can take it, will remain employed in such companies. Those who can't take it, should and would have left.

If the victim is a Singaporean, i will suspect that maybe the young gen now all strawberry, so are easily snapped... but this victim is a Malaysian, which the stereotyped me think maybe not so strawberry...

In any case, if the boss really forced the staff to snap, then something should be done to stop it from ever repeating.

Tragic... and sad...

singapore strawberry won't take this kind of shit, they just walk out when you raise your voice by 1 dB  [laugh]

• Haha! 5

My wife related this story about a local teacher at a early education center. The teacher is a young girl around 24 years old.  Signed a contract with the school to further her studies into child early education. Her ultimate goal is to sit on the board. 

But the principal had issues with her (as well as all the other teachers; principal = 大问题) and when she finally could not take the crap from the principal anymore,  she tendered her resignation. 

The principal then told her to stay until next year as this year already had 2 teachers quit already and it might affect the principal's review.  So the teacher wanted to relent and asked if she would still get her bonus... To which the principal said NO. 

So she kept to get decision to quit. On the final try,  the principal "tried" to coax the teacher to stay to complete her contract saying if she quit now,  she wud have to pay back $20k. She went on to say that the teacher cud not afford the $20k and will be burdening her parents to pay the $20k for her to leave. 

But the teacher said she will pay for it herself and will still leave at the end of the notification.

Edited by Ysc3
  • Shocked 1

I don't know why young workers would feel the pressure. Any time not happy can just quit.

It's not like they were older, raising their own family, kids depend on them, loans to pay etc. and cannot quit the job.

So i always wonder what's the pressure? More likely a psychological thing where some people cannot take stress or need affirmation

43 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

I don't know why young workers would feel the pressure. Any time not happy can just quit.

It's not like they were older, raising their own family, kids depend on them, loans to pay etc. and cannot quit the job.

So i always wonder what's the pressure? More likely a psychological thing where some people cannot take stress or need affirmation

some kids lack family support, low self esteem, lack confident, lack guidance, etc, not only for low income kids, some rich kids also tend to keep quiet when kena bullied.  

• Shocked 1

Generally if want guaranteed fair, by-the-book treatment, then best bet is to work for zheng hu. But then zheng hu job... don't complain bonus and increment is too low compared to private sector [laugh] 

3 minutes ago, Dleodleo said:

Is  this the company that the deceased worked in?

Once scroll through that FB page, it is somewhere in there

Did you buy its service?

Edited by inlinesix

2 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Did you read the news article?  I did not till i see your reply.

Either this 8 is disgrunted employees out for revenge or there are more stories.

Sometime, ppl did not move with time.

Previously, can scold and scold.  Ppl will change after that.

Nowadays, can't do that anymore.  Ppl will just quit regardless of nationality.

What SME bosses don't realise a lot of time is that precious time is wasted to train a new hire.

Whereby it is more productive to retain good hire

yup i read it i think yest or the day before, when i received it via whatsapp on phone. feel sorry for the victim family. working overseas kanna bullied, got no family support... until commit suicide...

sounds like got some legs. the glassdoor thing... positive reviews were done on same day, all too suspicious. negative ones have more details, so draw own conclusions lor...

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

3 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

yup i read it i think yest or the day before, when i received it via whatsapp on phone. feel sorry for the victim family. working overseas kanna bullied, got no family support... until commit suicide...

sounds like got some legs. the glassdoor thing... positive reviews were done on same day, all too suspicious. negative ones have more details, so draw own conclusions lor...

That Marketing Director may be just job title only.

May not be member of Board of Director of The Company

1 minute ago, inlinesix said:

That Marketing Director may be just job title only.

May not be member of Board of Director of The Company

Then good time to rid the company of scums that spoil its name...

• Praise 2