MOM investigating firm after ex-employee committed suicide allegedly due to harsh working conditions

Ysc3

2 hours ago, Kopites said:

Curse?

Rant?

need time to learn one ok ... not so easy .... i only learnt hokkien cussing when i was in NS.

• Haha! 1

10 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Once scroll through that FB page, it is somewhere in there

Did you buy its service?

No.  I'm very suaku never heard of this company. 🤣

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 1

Mother of Malaysian employee accused Singapore eye therapy company of workplace abuse

According to Khoo's mother, her daughter started working at SLM Visioncare Singapore as a therapist on Aug. 1, 2019.

During her time at the eye therapy firm, she allegedly suffered verbal abuse from her boss Darren Yaw.

Yaw berated Khoo constantly, calling her "stupid", "idiot" and "brainless", Khoo's mother told Chinese evening paper, Shin Min Daily News.

https://mothership.sg/2020/11/slm-catrene-saga/

• Praise 1
  • Sad 2

19 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Did you read the news article?  I did not till i see your reply.

Either this 8 is disgrunted employees out for revenge or there are more stories.

Sometime, ppl did not move with time.

Previously, can scold and scold.  Ppl will change after that.

Nowadays, can't do that anymore.  Ppl will just quit regardless of nationality.

What SME bosses don't realise a lot of time is that precious time is wasted to train a new hire.

Whereby it is more productive to retain good hire

Well, if the sme pocket are deep enough, can do better or do good with CSR for recovery..

but from the report, it’s a small brick n mortar setup, just do social media n go temple n repent n upload to Facebook May buy some karma.. 

• Haha! 1

20 hours ago, Ysc3 said:

Last time I had a manager who scolded one worker very jialat....  I even thought the worker was the manager's illegitimate son.... Looking at the way he scolded the worker EVERYTIME. 

The mgr did not treat any one else like that... Only that particular guy. Yes,  the worker was quite blur... But I was really taken aback when I saw the scoldings ... And the guy still took it !

But then sometimes really need a good scolding to wake the blur sotong up. 

3 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

But then sometimes really need a good scolding to wake the blur sotong up. 

Different people perform differently for performance enhancement.

if your idea of like the army is the benchmark, then you be very bad in today’s world of getting performance in the environment.

professional n objective feedback works fit most , unless the environment has a super wide disparity of wages, then rewarding the good workers with money usually is the best incentive. It also help discourage job hopping.

if you treat everyone well and pay well, the people should work wonders right? Not really. The goal post move towards asperation n the next step in life and the cycle move up the ladder.

so in one word. What got you here will not get you there. Which means need to evolve and upskill and reinvent the behaviour and the mindset.

but eventually it’s an environment issue that many organisations grapple with. The time and effort to provide an environment like google or Facebook, yet making profit and not treat it like entertaining on the company money.

And the non presence of a HR environment that harness the power of the people and rebranded as human capital 😂

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Sdf4786k said:

Different people perform differently for performance enhancement.

if your idea of like the army is the benchmark, then you be very bad in today’s world of getting performance in the environment.

professional n objective feedback works fit most , unless the environment has a super wide disparity of wages, then rewarding the good workers with money usually is the best incentive. It also help discourage job hopping.

if you treat everyone well and pay well, the people should work wonders right? Not really. The goal post move towards asperation n the next step in life and the cycle move up the ladder.

so in one word. What got you here will not get you there. Which means need to evolve and upskill and reinvent the behaviour and the mindset.

but eventually it’s an environment issue that many organisations grapple with. The time and effort to provide an environment like google or Facebook, yet making profit and not treat it like entertaining on the company money.

And the non presence of a HR environment that harness the power of the people and rebranded as human capital 😂

True.. Working with humans is the most headeache part. 

being blur and acting blur is totally different. last time my CO PA in army is also those blur blur type.  But after ORD, i saw him in NUS majoring in Dentistry.... 

• Haha! 3

17 hours ago, Jman888 said:

not surprise many 'developed' country like TW, JP, KR, HK have more such abuse cases.

SG is consider mild.

Jman, you hit the nail. Try working for TW or HK SMEs, Sin's SMEs are child's play. 

Many of these young gen are strawberries tbh. When you haven't met one that you really feel like kicking his arse every time you see him you wont know how it feels. Luckily the one i met job hop after 4 months and still asking to come back to work for us after leaving for a couple of months. Hope he cant get another work pass and f back to his country.

• Haha! 2

13 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

Many of these young gen are strawberries tbh. When you haven't met one that you really feel like kicking his arse every time you see him you wont know how it feels. Luckily the one i met job hop after 4 months and still asking to come back to work for us after leaving for a couple of months. Hope he cant get another work pass and f back to his country.

You should try in a larger environment.. the juniors start drafting your job description like a voter asking to change the world without knowing what it entails.

and if you try to express it as a discussion to allow optics into what other considerations like accural n balance sheet and budget allocation, they just brush it aside as they have no clue what you are talking about , be it proforma invoices or financial terms and they just typecast it as 

... “ it’s your job. Not my level to understand.. I just work here and work but I am not going to follow the instructions as the vendor spoke to be n all are trying to help do year end closing.. “

my understanding in this wording is 

I go free lunch n happy hour with vendor Liao n I trying to help vendor meet his budget

🤪

21 minutes ago, Xers007 said:

That's why i said one possibility is the victim herself being unable to take it, as she's young...

But based on the reports so far, it seems like it really is the boss' fault for causing this tragedy, in which case then he should face the consequences and answer to his conscience, if he has any.

• Praise 1

25 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

You should try in a larger environment.. the juniors start drafting your job description like a voter asking to change the world without knowing what it entails.

and if you try to express it as a discussion to allow optics into what other considerations like accural n balance sheet and budget allocation, they just brush it aside as they have no clue what you are talking about , be it proforma invoices or financial terms and they just typecast it as 

... “ it’s your job. Not my level to understand.. I just work here and work but I am not going to follow the instructions as the vendor spoke to be n all are trying to help do year end closing.. “

my understanding in this wording is 

I go free lunch n happy hour with vendor Liao n I trying to help vendor meet his budget

🤪

I don't think it's fair la..

I also seen terrible "seniors" who are literally there only because they're the oldest.

And the place works INSPITE of.. not BECAUSE of their presence.. but there's a high staff turnover which is directly due to their work style. But they say.. and belive.. it's all their effort that things don't fall apart. 

It's the trump mentality. 

• Haha! 1

31 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

That's why i said one possibility is the victim herself being unable to take it, as she's young...

But based on the reports so far, it seems like it really is the boss' fault for causing this tragedy, in which case then he should face the consequences and answer to his conscience, if he has any.

Perfect example of the trump character... nothing is his fault.. it's conspiracy. 

Is actually not uncommon..

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, Playtime said:

I don't think it's fair la..

I also seen terrible "seniors" who are literally there only because they're the oldest.

And the place works INSPITE of.. not BECAUSE of their presence.. but there's a high staff turnover which is directly due to their work style. But they say.. and belive.. it's all their effort that things don't fall apart. 

It's the trump mentality. 

I been in an organisation like what u see in k drama signing on doc with a red rubber stamp.. so why in the world do we need workflow in IT ????

that in my opinion is really old bird syndrome and the longer u work the higher u climb base on years not base on track record 

• Praise 1