Insurance surveyor rejecting new parts

GaryFoo

I was involved in a minor accident. 

3rd party car cut my lane and side swipe me. 

Minor paint damages and dent at body kit, bumper, and fender. 

Cycle & Carriage workshop put forth whole part replacement, but 3rd party insurance surveyor rejected replacement, but only to spray paint and knock out the dent. 

Is this the norm? To reject new parts and force the victim to accept a "repaired product"? 

If it makes a difference, my insurance is Aviva, 3rd part is Tokio marine. 

20201114_122806.jpg

Edited by GaryFoo
↡ Advertisement

I think you must have solid proof for them to accept liability to begin with.

just reject their rejection...go ahead with CnC third party claim if they’re dealing it for you. 

• Praise 1

It's just scratches. I think there's no need for replacement.

If every minor contact they change new part very soon our car insurance premium will go further up. I think the surveyor made the right call.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 5

52 minutes ago, GaryFoo said:

Cycle & Carriage workshop put forth whole part replacement, but 3rd party insurance surveyor rejected replacement, but only to spray paint and knock out the dent. 

Is this the norm? To reject new parts and force the victim to accept a "repaired product"? 

20201114_122806.jpg

It is not abnormal, the photo only show minor damage lor. If you want a brand new bumper then you have to fork out the difference lor.

• Praise 2

59 minutes ago, GaryFoo said:

20201114_122806.jpg

Just curious. How old is your car?

54 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

just reject their rejection...go ahead with CnC third party claim if they’re dealing it for you. 

My one year old car in 2018 was knocked into by a car that did not step its brakes fully. There was a small dent and paint damage. As expected, only $1200 was allowed for claims and the bumper was repainted and not replaced even though I wanted a new bumper.

Anyway, I you really cant live with that bumper and their repair sucks, a new bumper is about 200USD thereabouts. (For my car, excluding painting)

Ya I agree it's minor damages la. If I'm the surveyor I would also make this decision. 

But from a driver pov, I just feel a bit unworth. For no reasons, not my fault at all, I end up with a car in a "repaired state". 3rd party 100% at fault, I totally no fault, yet I have to live with a "repaired" item. 

I just feel a bit Sian. Haha. 

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, mersaylee said:

Can reject a surveyor rejection one ah? 

See if u can get CnC to claim polishing and coating. Even without new bumper, looks like most of the scratches and dents can be removed 99%.

Even if u change new bumper, scratches/dent will return via general wear & tear. So the new part look also wont last long. 

8 hours ago, GaryFoo said:

20201114_122806.jpg

Bro, might as well claim for a new car. let it go and accept the repairs la.. Like you said, minor accident only. Claim for a replacement car etc etc while the repairs are done.

This is part and parcel of car ownership, nothing to feel sian about.. 

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 5

11 hours ago, GaryFoo said:

under lta there is 1 law new car within 2 years or 3 years ( i forgot) can only use new parts, no hammering back)

but no matter, if u claiming other side, its normal for your side to claim new parts for even the slightest damage. 

and its perfectly normal for other side to reject .. both insurance / lawyer will nego and come to agreement, if not go court settle.

• Praise 4

no offence to anyone, but think of it this way -

if you got into an accident (no other car involved) and had this damage, what would you do? change out the fender and the bumper or knock and spray?

ok i know it is not the same as in the fault factor is not taken into account but just looking at it at the how-to-make-good-this factor ..

PS imho i think the surveyor is correct and that the damage do not warrant replacement fender and bumper ..

Edited by Mooose
  • Praise 1

10 hours ago, GaryFoo said:

Ya I agree it's minor damages la. If I'm the surveyor I would also make this decision. 

But from a driver pov, I just feel a bit unworth. For no reasons, not my fault at all, I end up with a car in a "repaired state". 3rd party 100% at fault, I totally no fault, yet I have to live with a "repaired" item. 

I just feel a bit Sian. Haha. 

Agreed. Change bumper also no use - will be a repaired car and never feel the same.

You should file a claim for a new car.

• Haha! 7

Once I sent into AD for repairs. It claimed a new door from the other party's insurer. One year plus later rust spots started to appear on that door. My regular paint shop told me it was an used door!  

Even AD cannot be trusted, as they likely sub out the job to other workshops.... 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Angry 1
  • Shocked 1