2021 Honda City Hatchback Revealed As Regional Fit / Jazz Replacement

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

2021 Honda City Hatchback Revealed As Regional Fit / Jazz Replacement

https://www.motor1.com/news/456232/2021-honda-city-hatchback-reveal/

s0mgaiK.png

It's much bigger than the Fit without clashing with the Civic Hatchback.

In an SUV-hungry market, it’s refreshing to see Honda hasn’t given up on regular cars. A year after introducing the City Sedan, its five-door counterpart is premiering today as a replacement in some markets for the Jazz / Fit supermini. It largely carries over the sedan’s styling, but adapted to the smaller footprint as the City Hatchback is 208 millimeters (8.2 inches) shorter.

At 4345 mm (171.1 inches) long, the new small hatch is significantly larger than the Jazz without stepping on the Civic Hatchback’s toes. Even though it carries over the sedan’s wheelbase, Honda says the five-door model boasts greater legroom and so-called Ultra Seats with Utility, Long, Tall, and Refresh modes for extra convenience.

In Thailand where the City Hatchback was unveiled today, Honda will sell the car with a turbocharged 1.0-liter gasoline engine. The three-pot is good for 120 horsepower and 173 Newton-meters (128 pound-feet) of torque channeled to the front wheels through a continuously variable transmission. There’s a sporty-looking RS trim featured here in red, but it’s all show without any extra go.

This City Hatchback RS range topper has more than just visual tweaks as it also comes generously equipped with paddle shifters, six airbags, cruise control, rear charging ports, and an armrest for passengers sitting in the back. Honda also installs an eight-speaker sound system, an eight-inch touchscreen infotainment, and red illumination for the digital screen in the instrument cluster.

2021-honda-city-hatchback.jpg

2021-honda-city-hatchback.jpg2021-honda-city-hatchback.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

As always, Honda is brilliant at optimising space for a small car. 

Good that Honda is providing another offering in this market segment as the new Jazz/fit may look too "cute" for some people. 

Neutral Newbie

This body design is too longish, reminds me of Honda Shuttle even though it isn't a station wagon. Still prefer the design of the new fit. Hope AD doesn't replace the Jazz with this

10 minutes ago, lunaf said:

This body design is too longish, reminds me of Honda Shuttle even though it isn't a station wagon. Still prefer the design of the new fit. Hope AD doesn't replace the Jazz with this

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

in SG, it would have to fight with a shuttle.

Oh yes, and the shuttle is quite reasonably priced! Guess Kah Motor is going to be happy with pricing their cars at a premium and the PIs are going to enjoy lots of business (eg. Vezel, Fit, Shuttle) =D

44 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

How is the Thai assembled car quality now compared to the past? It used to be quite horrible that a lot of ppl avoided it whether it's Honda or Toyota.

I can't tell the difference between assembled in jap/thai since 10-15 years ago ... -_-

Maybe u are referring to the 1st generation honda city. Or toyota soluna era more than 20 years ago.

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

1 hour ago, Watwheels said:

How is the Thai assembled car quality now compared to the past? It used to be quite horrible that a lot of ppl avoided it whether it's Honda or Toyota.

I still see alot of 15 year-old Vios and Altis at every traffic junction. If really terrible, they would have scrapped long ago.

• Praise 1

Honda Fit/Jazz and this City HB are in different category. The former are compact hatch (~3.9m - 4.1m), while the latter are mid size hatchback (~4.3m - 4.5m)

To put things in perspective, Honda Fit/Jazz should be compared with the followings:

• Citroën C3
  • Ford Fiesta
  • Hyundai i20
  • Kia Rio Hatchback
  • Mazda 2 Hatchback
  • Nissan Note
  • Peugeot 208
  • Renault Clio
  • Seat Ibiza
  • Skoda Fabia
  • Suzuki Swift
  • Toyota Yaris
  • VW Polo

While Honda City Hatchback should be compared with:

• Ford Focus
  • Hyundai i30
  • Kia Ceed
  • Mazda 3 Hatchback
  • Nissan Pulsar
  • Opel Astra
  • Peugeot 308
  • Renault Megane
  • Seat Leon
  • Skoda Scala
  • Subaru Imprezza
  • Toyota Corolla Hatchback
  • VW Golf

As for the much talk about Honda Shuttle, although its length is barely 40mm longer than the City Hatchback, but it is more in teh wagon / estate category than hatchback. Or to be more precise, it is a Honda Fit Estate. See it for yourselves below.

honda_shuttle_hydrid_32.jpg

• Praise 7

For some reason the side profile remind me strongly of VW Golf, Seat Leon and Hyundai i30 🤣

I will definitely take this over the Fit if it comes with proper features.. new Fit here is unsightly with halogen headlight and bare interior.

4 hours ago, Carbon82 said:

Honda Fit/Jazz and this City HB are in different category. The former are compact hatch (~3.9m - 4.1m), while the latter are mid size hatchback (~4.3m - 4.5m)

To put things in perspective, Honda Fit/Jazz should be compared with the followings:

• Citroën C3
  • Ford Fiesta
  • Hyundai i20
  • Kia Rio Hatchback
  • Mazda 2 Hatchback
  • Nissan Note
  • Peugeot 208
  • Renault Clio
  • Seat Ibiza
  • Skoda Fabia
  • Suzuki Swift
  • Toyota Yaris
  • VW Polo

While Honda City Hatchback should be compared with:

• Ford Focus
  • Hyundai i30
  • Kia Ceed
  • Mazda 3 Hatchback
  • Nissan Pulsar
  • Opel Astra
  • Peugeot 308
  • Renault Megane
  • Seat Leon
  • Skoda Scala
  • Subaru Imprezza
  • Toyota Corolla Hatchback
  • VW Golf

As for the much talk about Honda Shuttle, although its length is barely 40mm longer than the City Hatchback, but it is more in teh wagon / estate category than hatchback. Or to be more precise, it is a Honda Fit Estate. See it for yourselves below.

honda_shuttle_hydrid_32.jpg

You are right with the dimensions but City Hatch and Jazz are both positioned as B-segment hatchbacks. The list you provided that City hatchback supposed to be compared with should theoretically be the C-segment Civic hatchback instead, which interestingly doesn't look any larger I feel.