Argentina legend Maradona dies at 60

zipping

3 hours ago, Scion said:

Sad... I watched my first ever World Cup in 1986 (think the tv live telecast was free then!)

totally awed by this genius, till now i still regard him as the greatest footballer ever

My first WC was 1974 in Germany n first time ever shown in colour which was a very big deal then!!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4

14 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Sama sama...

Holland might had won the match if not for that dying seconds shot that hit the upright...then the dirty hand ball tricks by the eventual winners...

everything goes in those day without var.

those days defender is much more dirty then now, they get away with it easily, just that those dirty tackle seldom in the spotlight like this handball goal .😁

remember vinny jones squeeze gazza balls🤣

• Haha! 4

10 minutes ago, Spring said:

Hesitantly I also classify Maradona as my G.O.A.T as well. Hesitantly cos he was a flawed genius.

Drugs, poor sportsmanship ruins his legacy but I’ve never ever seen a player who can single handedly carry his team like Diego and at the highest level some more. His 1986 performance in Mexico WC won it for Argentina and he came close again 4 yrs later in Italy WC where again he single handedly plotted the Argies march into the Final only to be stopped by the Germans.

RIP genius🙏

He was indeed  a good player and his odd body physique made him even more colourful......... but that road to sudden richness n fame  took a toll on him too   

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Wtf? That  is 1978?  

yup, the captain's name sounded like market (in chinese and malay), and the striker kempes long messy hair... b/w tv time... but it was free, unlike now...

• Praise 3

52 minutes ago, mersaylee said:

Sama sama...

Holland might had won the match if not for that dying seconds shot that hit the upright...then the dirty hand ball tricks by the eventual winners...

ok, you either older than me or know lots abt football at a really young age 😆

i only remember went to extra time, made me lost more sleep (this type feeling never changed for decades till now 😁)

also remember i think argentina by right shouldn't even have reached the finals, if not because of a huge win over i think Peru just before that. Was it winners of group go to finals, instead of knock-out rounds, or something... many said it was kelong that at that stage can have such high scoreline... (which i think got debunked decades later when Germany trounced Brazil in semis during WC2014)...

• Praise 2

48 minutes ago, Spring said:

Hesitantly I also classify Maradona as my G.O.A.T as well. Hesitantly cos he was a flawed genius.

Drugs, poor sportsmanship ruins his legacy but I’ve never ever seen a player who can single handedly carry his team like Diego and at the highest level some more. His 1986 performance in Mexico WC won it for Argentina and he came close again 4 yrs later in Italy WC where again he single handedly plotted the Argies march into the Final only to be stopped by the Germans.

RIP genius🙏

I guess i also have to say he's GOAT among those players i watched personally. Messi while maybe equally or even more skilful, has not won the WC for the country, so loses out.

But apart from his flawed personality, his coining of 'hand of god' also angered many - but then which players would admit they cheated or benefited from referee error - esp when stakes were so high...

Also, i've not seen Pele played except some blurry clips, but from all that i've read, it seems Pele was incredibly good - so i hesitate to rank Maradona over Pele.

• Praise 1

55 minutes ago, Spring said:

My first WC was 1974 in Germany n first time ever shown in colour which was a very big deal then!!

wah... my parents didn't buy colour tv till much later. i only watch coloured WC starting 82, where maradona as a youngster - skilful but not experienced - was sent off in shame in i think 2nd round, where argentina was grouped with brazil and italy. Brazil 82 was said to be the best team ever to fail to lift the WC... beaten by Rossi...

maradona came good 4 yr later in 86, which will be remembered for him, when he reached his peak as a player - and also wiser and more experienced (than 82).

24 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

wah... my parents didn't buy colour tv till much later. i only watch coloured WC starting 82, where maradona as a youngster - skilful but not experienced - was sent off in shame in i think 2nd round, where argentina was grouped with brazil and italy. Brazil 82 was said to be the best team ever to fail to lift the WC... beaten by Rossi...

maradona came good 4 yr later in 86, which will be remembered for him, when he reached his peak as a player - and also wiser and more experienced (than 82).

Wah! those 80's was like the peak of the so called Kallang Roar 🤣 here in our local shores with players like Quah Kim Song Dolah Kassim, Samad Alipitchay, Eric Paine.......  and the likes of them    

• Praise 5

Internal Moderator
4 hours ago, Atrecord said:

my first world cup was when argentina won WC for the first time. can guess mine or not? 😄

Let's say you watch your first world cup (1986) when you are 15, now (2020) you should be 49! Then +/- 5 years lah. hahah.

I am guessing you are in your mid 40s! 🤣

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Spring said:

RIP genius🙏

When he is kicking balls, I am still a sperm, so I do not have much memories of him thou.

• Haha! 1

54 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

ok, you either older than me or know lots abt football at a really young age 😆

i only remember went to extra time, made me lost more sleep (this type feeling never changed for decades till now 😁)

also remember i think argentina by right shouldn't even have reached the finals, if not because of a huge win over i think Peru just before that. Was it winners of group go to finals, instead of knock-out rounds, or something... many said it was kelong that at that stage can have such high scoreline... (which i think got debunked decades later when Germany trounced Brazil in semis during WC2014)...

Ironically, that was my very first WC match...didn't bother prior...my whole family including my sister stayed up late to watch till the end. My heart paused when the Dutch hit the upright...and I remember my body posture was like Jackie's... 😂

I supported Holland because they were a goal down...I always support underdog just liked Cambodia to Vietnam during the war...why support the winning one when it's the losing one that needs the boost even more? 😁

31714275.jpg

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 2

1 hour ago, BanCoe said:

He was indeed  a good player and his odd body physique made him even more colourful......... but that road to sudden richness n fame  took a toll on him too   

messi is short, yet maradona was even shorter, but he is bigger in size, heavier more power and stability.

many defender try many foul way to bring him down but still fail. 

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, Spring said:

You win mcf pioneer medal 😁

My first WC was 1982. Thats when I got sucked into the ovaltine panini WC sticker album and started actively following football. Even memorised the player names in the album and named my toys after them.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

11 minutes ago, Karoon said:

You win mcf pioneer medal 😁

My first WC was 1982. Thats when I got sucked into the ovaltine panini WC sticker album and started actively following football. Even memorised the player names in the album and named my toys after them.

I even had teams made out of my many mini toy soldiers as players. Painted them in various "jerseys". Imagine "players" holding guns and rifles playing either paper or playdough ball😂 

Ever had my own league with up to 6 teams...no home or away game because it was always that same spot on the same floor at my home then 😅

My "Maradona" was a soldier with the post of holding a rifle with one hand and ready to throw a grenade with the other...yup, THAT soldier was a shorter yet beefy one among the lot...😁

Regretting till this day that I discarded them all...😭

• Haha! 3

1 hour ago, BanCoe said:

Wah! those 80's was like the peak of the so called Kallang Roar 🤣 here in our local shores with players like Quah Kim Song Dolah Kassim, Samad Alipitchay, Eric Paine.......  and the likes of them    

Robert Sim, Lim Teng Sai, Rajagopal.... 

• Praise 1

2 hours ago, BanCoe said:

yup, only other notable one apart from your list was Mohd Noor, whom i always wondered why he didn't look malay... all the M'sia Cup Fever period. matches were shown live at 7.30 pm on Sat nights, i remember, cos i always took my rice to go to living room to eat and watch soccer at the same time 😁

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, BanCoe said:

And some mati liao... 

Dollah kassim,  Arshad khamis. 🙏🙏🙏

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1
  • Sad 2