Women sue PUB $5 million dollars for a manhole fall

Yewheng

3 hours ago, Jusnel said:

If PUB has safety lapses, of coz we can sue them for accidents. Not just PUB, any organisation shld accept responsibility if safety lapses. 

Another example is escalators repair. If no signs or barricades in place, someone walks into it, whose fault? 

Nowadays safety is priority 

Yes, but we also need to seperate out those who is trying to gain the system and getting millions of dollars that is more then what the person should get. 

↡ Advertisement

14 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Yes, but we also need to seperate out those who is trying to gain the system and getting millions of dollars that is more then what the person should get. 

Millions is actually kinda normal if you think about it. It just sounds like a large one off sum.

Average graduate makes 120k or more yearly at 35 (civil servant pay) so that's already 3.6 mil for 30 years without considering any further promotions.

If the person is really injured till they can't work further, you don't think they need to be compensated? Add in some medical fees and compensation for their suffering, 5 mil is nothing.

On 11/27/2020 at 8:03 PM, Yewheng said:

Isn't that to be decided by the judge, supported by experts and advised by accountants?  

I also don't think we should go the American tort way but if there are gross negligence, the guilty party should be punished and the victims compensated. In fact there should be a deterrence fine too to ensure safety protocols are strictly followed. Otherwise more will get hurt unnecessarily. 

Who wants to collect big money but become bedridden for life?  

• Praise 3

I heard those foreign workers. Some will purposely injured himself to claim Workmen compensation money and company's medical benefit and just go back to live it off. 

They can self inflicted injuries on their hands or legs, just to get that money

8 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Isn't that to be decided by the judge, supported by experts and advised by accountants?  

I also don't think we should go the American tort way but if there are gross negligence, the guilty party should be punished and the victims compensated. In fact there should be a deterrence fine too to ensure safety protocols are strictly followed. Otherwise more will get hurt unnecessarily. 

Who wants to collect big money but become bedridden for life?  

But you see.. Based on what is reported in the news. She can walk, can talk, can even sell things to cerosell to stranger. So there is nothing wrong with her what? Plus her questionable salary and lastly she also got asked one of the doc to write fake report. So you get what I mean? This is clearly wanting to exploit and sue to get millions and strike gold. We cannot allow this to happen. Hope most of the private settlement money or maybe all of it plus he need to top up money for the engagement of lawyer and High Court fee. Like that then is orbi good.. Want to exploit and thinking this time strike gold but end up she incurr losses. 

• Praise 1

2 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

But you see.. Based on what is reported in the news. She can walk, can talk, can even sell things to cerosell to stranger. So there is nothing wrong with her what? Plus her questionable salary and lastly she also got asked one of the doc to write fake report. So you get what I mean? This is clearly wanting to exploit and sue to get millions and strike gold. We cannot allow this to happen. Hope most of the private settlement money or maybe all of it plus he need to top up money for the engagement of lawyer and High Court fee. Like that then is orbi good.. Want to exploit and thinking this time strike gold but end up she incurr losses. 

You statement literally mean she walk and fell into the manhole "voluntarily"! That is cruel and absurd!

You arent the judge nor in the medical field. Making such accusation merely based on the reported newspaper articles? That is hideous.

My stand remain the same since first post. If safety SOP had been followed all along she won't even get to go near the manhole.

Any lapse in safety sop resulting in an accident (be in worker or passerby) must be severely punish by law. Plaintiff adequately compensated determine by our rule of law. 

Not you to determine what constitutes an adequate compensation.

• Praise 3

to me, the one who should really sue and claim big compensation rightfully was the poor old lady who kena knocked by the damn PMD

• Praise 4

On 11/26/2020 at 8:03 AM, Jauss said:

It'll be wishful thinking to get money from PUB. Unless is during repair works pub never barricade properly then maybe can

PUB would have diverted the responsibility to the main contractor when awarding the contract.

On 11/26/2020 at 9:14 AM, Mustank said:

I don’t understand how can a woman drop into a man hole

These days almost every other one is starring on handphone when walking on the street, it is very easy for one to fall into a manhole if it is not covered properly. This may sound  ridiculous in SGP  , but may happen in other nearby countries.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Scion said:

to me, the one who should really sue and claim big compensation rightfully was the poor old lady who kena knocked by the damn PMD

But the problem is that lady just can't sue for millions of dollars. Coz that pmd rider surely do not have that much money in the 1st place. 

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

You statement literally mean she walk and fell into the manhole "voluntarily"! That is cruel and absurd!

You arent the judge nor in the medical field. Making such accusation merely based on the reported newspaper articles? That is hideous.

My stand remain the same since first post. If safety SOP had been followed all along she won't even get to go near the manhole.

Any lapse in safety sop resulting in an accident (be in worker or passerby) must be severely punish by law. Plaintiff adequately compensated determine by our rule of law. 

Not you to determine what constitutes an adequate compensation.

Not saying she purposely go walk into the manhole. It's the amount she is trying to get. If she successful get that Huge amount. It will definitely open a can of worms for future cases. Then slowly we will have cases of a man fall on slippy floor and sue for millions of dollars. Or hot milo spill on the women chest and sue for millions of dollars. These people will be willing to take chance to sue and get millions of dollars. 

Edited by Yewheng

2 hours ago, Yewheng said:

Orbi good is rather unsympathetic for an incident whereby negligence is involved, noone should get away scot free.   

Better to catch/ ban drivers that repeatedly cheong red light than wait for someone to be seriously injured and killed.

• Praise 1

58 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

Not saying she purposely go walk into the manhole. It's the amount she is trying to get. If she successful get that Huge amount. It will definitely open a can of worms for future cases. Then slowly we will have cases of a man fall on slippy floor and sue for millions of dollars. Or hot milo spill on the women chest and sue for millions of dollars. These people will be willing to take chance to sue and get millions of dollars. 

If SOP are followed and there are no negligence, can't even get $1. 

• Praise 1

On 11/26/2020 at 9:14 AM, Mustank said:

I don’t understand how can a woman drop into a man hole

Man dropping into 'man hole' also possible :grin:

So how much was the victim compensated?

• Haha! 1

50 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Actually  i think this guy got more of a case then the auntie  

This is basically  a trap. He step onto it.

The auntie  basically  walk right into a open hole.

The only questionable thing is how much this guy asking for 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1