Rental of Hyundai Starex from SG to MY - anyone tried before?

teomingern

Hello,

I'm posting a new topic to ask questions as I can't find any information about this in this forum. Hope I'm posting it in the right place.

I am planning a road trip to Malaysia with extended family. There will be 7 of us. My car, being a sedan, can only take 5 at most. 7 includes 4 adults and 3 kids - for the 3 kids present, need one infant child seat (less than a year old), one toddler's child seat (2+ years old), and one full sized child seat for a 5 year old. So quite obviously I need something substantially bigger than my Sonata.

So I am looking for a cost effective way to take a road trip up north - hence looking to rent a large MPV. I have in the mind the MY Hyundai Starex which I rented from Hertz MY a long time ago. In that occasion, it was rented from KLIA cos my sister's family took a flight into MY. This time, I intend to start from home here in SG. I see many of these MY Hyundai Starex coming into SG to pick up passengers into JB for day trips.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has tried something like that. I intend to rent the car for two weeks in MY. I need the car to come out to SG to pick up my family plus fit all the child seats and return us to SG. Looking to do Melaka, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands, KL & Penang. I have done this before in my own car.

Any price/charges indication would be quite helpful.

Also any other considerations? Insurance, legal matters, accident claims, and word of advice? I have driven the car before (the 2011 model) in the previous trip where I picked up the car at KLIA.

I have also looked at some advertisements for such car rentals in Carousell. Not sure if anyone has used them before and have any experience to share? One such advertisement rent the car for S$135 for weekday, and S$145 for weekends, plus S$110 for one way shuttle to pick up from SG. 

Thank you very much!

Edited by teomingern
Added info
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

just to be clear, u mean to rent car + driver for two weeks, not self-drive? Or just hv their driver deliver n collect the car at the start/end respectively and self-drive for the 2 weeks.

• Praise 2

Huh? The border is opening soon? 

It is MY driver plus MY car or SG Car and SG driver, otherwise take MY car with MY driver across border and rent from JB

I rather drive my own car and rent another one.  Burning carbon is priority. 

• Praise 2

1 minute ago, Voodooman said:

It is MY driver plus MY car or SG Car and SG driver, otherwise take MY car with MY driver across border and rent from JB

Now, it is a 14 + 14 quarantine Days Holiday

• Haha! 5

30 minutes ago, inlinesix said:

Now, it is a 14 + 14 quarantine Days Holiday

Don't think you can suka suka drive over for holiday, even if you are ok to quarantine 28 days in total. 

• Praise 3

Probably doing advance planning way ahead for a trip in the future -- although at this juncture it's anybody's guess how long before even that can happen -- cos it's impossible to do any trip now.... although just a week ago there was a strange happening on M'sian highway where got Singaporean got stranded... in a plane...

• Haha! 1

13 hours ago, Shibadog said:

just to be clear, u mean to rent car + driver for two weeks, not self-drive? Or just hv their driver deliver n collect the car at the start/end respectively and self-drive for the 2 weeks.

Self-drive plus deliver car bro...

10 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Don't think you can suka suka drive over for holiday, even if you are ok to quarantine 28 days in total. 

Definitely... but planning... for the future... was supposed to plan and do this trip this year... involves in-laws from overseas... so need to know if possible & how much first... otherwise won't promise extension of trip to MY lor...

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, BanCoe said:

Malaysia-Singapore Border Not Going To Open Any Time Soon Due To Spike In Cases Here https://www.therakyatpost.com/2020/11/28/malaysia-singapore-border-not-going-to-open-any-time-soon-due-to-spike-in-cases-here/

Don’t wanna be pessimistic but unlikely until mid June next year 

Actually I think until vaccine is freely available... as PM said, 4 years... 

7 hours ago, Kangadrool said:

If you are Singaporean or SPR, you cannot drive a MY plate car in Singapore. You can only start your journey in JB.

Yes am aware, that's why asking for delivery... from my understanding the MY driver who delivers will drive us back to JB then transfer the car to me... and vice versa for return trip to SG... 

5 minutes ago, teomingern said:

But if really in 4 years' time, your requirements could/would have changed - the infant and toddler seats might no longer be necessary. Or maybe need more of these 😄

• Haha! 1

11 hours ago, Voodooman said:

Problem is all can't fit in... otherwise I would just drive my own car lor... why so kangkor drive my own car in and swap for an MY car? I think your suggestion is what I am after... just want to know where I can get something like that that is not so expensive... plus I have one more constraint in terms of the type of car needed - Starex due to group size lor...

• Praise 1

If not wrong foreigner only can enter Malaysia by RGL/PCA. How are you going to enter?

Plan for future? How to plan while you don't know the date of open borders?(sorry if sound rude)

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

Definitely... but planning... for the future... was supposed to plan and do this trip this year... involves in-laws from overseas... so need to know if possible & how much first... otherwise won't promise extension of trip to MY lor...

1 hour ago, teomingern said:

Ok till next elections; all stuck in this sardine can :TT_TT: Ubin here we come 

• Haha! 3

errr...whats the point of asking about this now?

all information available now is pre-covid and everything will be different post covid

😬

• Praise 1

Just want to know how it can be done... of course, now got time then plan first lor... the other stuff I already know... this is new to me cos I have never done it... so ask around see who has done it before and can just give some advice... while things may change, I don't expect it to be so drastically different that what has happened before isn't at all relevant lor...

↡ Advertisement