Rental of Hyundai Starex from SG to MY - anyone tried before?

teomingern

4 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Ok till next elections; all stuck in this sardine can :TT_TT: Ubin here we come 

Haiz... what to do... everyone's hoping by next June, and then next Dec... I also hope can resume some form of visits just to MY would be good enough... but MY is a bit messy where the COVID situation is concerned... among other things...

↡ Advertisement

6 hours ago, Atrecord said:

But if really in 4 years' time, your requirements could/would have changed - the infant and toddler seats might no longer be necessary. Or maybe need more of these 😄

One can hope that it would be sooner right... at least I think within 2022 got chance lar... shutting down travel for another year in 2021, I really don't know if the world economy can tahan or not... so far in SG, the government has been propping up many things for some semblance of economic activity... but just looking at the mall near my home and the number of shuttered shop spaces, it's quite worrying... government handouts can only go so far... our economy is so dependent on tourism... not just tourists coming in to SG but also many businesses catering to SG travelling out to other countries... 

4 hours ago, Si4dr said:

If not wrong foreigner only can enter Malaysia by RGL/PCA. How are you going to enter?

Plan for future? How to plan while you don't know the date of open borders?(sorry if sound rude)

What is RGL/PCA?

7 hours ago, BanCoe said:

Malaysia-Singapore Border Not Going To Open Any Time Soon Due To Spike In Cases Here https://www.therakyatpost.com/2020/11/28/malaysia-singapore-border-not-going-to-open-any-time-soon-due-to-spike-in-cases-here/

Don’t wanna be pessimistic but unlikely until mid June next year 

By mid-June next year would be outstanding already lor... like that pretty optimistic already leh bro... hahaha... I wish it were so... 

Edited by teomingern

noted your clarification re self-drive rental

honestly I think it's good to think abt this option now but still premature to do any concrete planning as by the time things return to "normalcy", things would have changed a lot. For example, the car rental company might hv folded by then. Old information might become obsolete.

when borders do open, there will probably be a lot of new businesses set up to facilitate travellers so that will be a good time to search.

maybe by the that time, u will need 8 seats (or more) instead of 7 [laugh]

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

40 minutes ago, teomingern said:

One can hope that it would be sooner right... at least I think within 2022 got chance lar... shutting down travel for another year in 2021, I really don't know if the world economy can tahan or not... so far in SG, the government has been propping up many things for some semblance of economic activity... but just looking at the mall near my home and the number of shuttered shop spaces, it's quite worrying... government handouts can only go so far... our economy is so dependent on tourism... not just tourists coming in to SG but also many businesses catering to SG travelling out to other countries... 

Yup, we all hope that things will return to some form of normalcy sooner rather than later -- which is contingent on having a viable, effective, cheap and easily accessible vaccine. 

The virus is taking its toll on all fronts, takings lives, vanishing jobs, closing businesses... it's a tough time for everyone...

3 minutes ago, Shibadog said:

noted your clarification re self-drive rental

honestly I think it's good to think abt this option now but still premature to do any concrete planning as by the time things return to "normalcy", things would have changed a lot. For example, the car rental company might hv folded by then. Old information might become obsolete.

when borders do open, there will probably be a lot of new businesses set up to facilitate travellers so that will be a good time to search.

maybe by the that time, u will need 8 seats (or more) instead of 7 [laugh]

All true...

Good thing the Starex is huge, so if the increase is only from 7 to 8 seater, it can still easily accommodate.

On 11/29/2020 at 2:47 PM, teomingern said:

Hello,

I'm posting a new topic to ask questions as I can't find any information about this in this forum. Hope I'm posting it in the right place.

I am planning a road trip to Malaysia with extended family. There will be 7 of us. My car, being a sedan, can only take 5 at most. 7 includes 4 adults and 3 kids - for the 3 kids present, need one infant child seat (less than a year old), one toddler's child seat (2+ years old), and one full sized child seat for a 5 year old. So quite obviously I need something substantially bigger than my Sonata.

So I am looking for a cost effective way to take a road trip up north - hence looking to rent a large MPV. I have in the mind the MY Hyundai Starex which I rented from Hertz MY a long time ago. In that occasion, it was rented from KLIA cos my sister's family took a flight into MY. This time, I intend to start from home here in SG. I see many of these MY Hyundai Starex coming into SG to pick up passengers into JB for day trips.

Just wanted to ask if anyone here has tried something like that. I intend to rent the car for two weeks in MY. I need the car to come out to SG to pick up my family plus fit all the child seats and return us to SG. Looking to do Melaka, Ipoh, Cameron Highlands, KL & Penang. I have done this before in my own car.

Any price/charges indication would be quite helpful.

Also any other considerations? Insurance, legal matters, accident claims, and word of advice? I have driven the car before (the 2011 model) in the previous trip where I picked up the car at KLIA.

I have also looked at some advertisements for such car rentals in Carousell. Not sure if anyone has used them before and have any experience to share? One such advertisement rent the car for S$135 for weekday, and S$145 for weekends, plus S$110 for one way shuttle to pick up from SG. 

Thank you very much!

Hi Bro, I did my trip in 2018 and rented a Starex as well. Its a comfortable drive and car is powerful enough to do the road trip with ease. The only drawback is that the car faces a lot of wind resistance when on NSHW and if the wind blows sideways, sometimes the car will sway slightly. Other than that, all is good. I attached my trip history and cost for your reference.

image.thumb.png.8fae8ed66768cd571ce5d9be70e17fd8.pngimage.png.6b2efa23d8cb65620b1bef59cc38bebb.png

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, Buadongdong said:

Hi Bro, I did my trip in 2018 and rented a Starex as well. Its a comfortable drive and car is powerful enough to do the road trip with ease. The only drawback is that the car faces a lot of wind resistance when on NSHW and if the wind blows sideways, sometimes the car will sway slightly. Other than that, all is good. I attached my trip history and cost for your reference.

image.thumb.png.8fae8ed66768cd571ce5d9be70e17fd8.pngimage.png.6b2efa23d8cb65620b1bef59cc38bebb.png

Good sharing. So how did you get to the pick-up point, and after returning the car, how did you come back leh?

I'd rented the petrol starex twice in Aust (iMax there), and just felt the vehicle has slow pick up (which is to be expected), but didn't feel it swaying sideways. Either we were much heavier, or maybe we didn't experience strong crosswinds there. The ones we had there, were basic models that offered few luxuries, but did give lots of space and also comfort in terms of ample aircon - which were important. 

What does the model you rented have, in terms of features that were deemed useful, for such a trip?

On 11/30/2020 at 8:31 AM, teomingern said:

Self-drive plus deliver car bro...

If you are SC or SPR, you can't drive Malaysia registered car in Singapore.

If can, everyone here will cheong Boleh and buy one there and drive here already.. Can get all the dream car there at a fraction of the price.

Edited by Tohto
  • Haha! 3

On 11/30/2020 at 10:22 AM, BanCoe said:

Ok till next elections; all stuck in this sardine can :TT_TT: Ubin here we come 

You can go to St John's island. 😂

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Atrecord said:

Good sharing. So how did you get to the pick-up point, and after returning the car, how did you come back leh?

I'd rented the petrol starex twice in Aust (iMax there), and just felt the vehicle has slow pick up (which is to be expected), but didn't feel it swaying sideways. Either we were much heavier, or maybe we didn't experience strong crosswinds there. The ones we had there, were basic models that offered few luxuries, but did give lots of space and also comfort in terms of ample aircon - which were important. 

What does the model you rented have, in terms of features that were deemed useful, for such a trip?

For this type of big van, turbo-diesel will be a better engine choice.

Like in Taiwan, airport transfers sits in those VW Transporter vans, so effectless inside and cruise comfortably on the highway.

• Praise 1

35 minutes ago, Tohto said:

You can go to St John's island. 😂

I went to Ubin 2 times in last 6 months already now..... maybe must try St Johns now

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

If can travel freely, Malaysia will be the last of my options. 

I rather go Niseko now, or Whistler, Switzerland, France, Italy ski resorts. I don't even mind going to Denver. 

If not for skiing, there will be 200+ other options/locations to choose. 

What a weird thread.

3 hours ago, Atrecord said:

I remember the pickup point was at Caltex station beside City Square mall. The return is the same, stop at CS mall and they collect car to drive back.

In terms of features, all pretty standard. Radio, disc player, they have a screen at the back but not working. Strong and cold aircon and large spaces adds to the plus points. The 2.5 Diesel engine has lots of torque and overtaking isn't really and issue except the brakes feels a bit insufficient for the large and heavy vehicle.

• Praise 1

28 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

If can travel freely, Malaysia will be the last of my options. 

I rather go Niseko now, or Whistler, Switzerland, France, Italy ski resorts. I don't even mind going to Denver. 

If not for skiing, there will be 200+ other options/locations to choose. 

What a weird thread.

You would bring a 1 year old to these places?

And the cost is not even on the same level....

↡ Advertisement