Red light camera with 10 second green lights

Battledome64

I would like to gather some feedback if it’s fair to have a U turn traffic light for 10 seconds with a red light traffic camera?

i just experienced having to wait 3 rounds of green lights before being able to complete a U turn as everyone is also scared of the red light camera. 

and the 10 second green light is dumb. You move a not even 1-3 car length then light Turns yellow and then red again. It’s annoying 

Edited by Battledome64
Edited
↡ Advertisement

7 minutes ago, Battledome64 said:

I would like to gather some feedback if it’s fair to have a U turn traffic light for 10 seconds with a red light traffic camera?

i just experienced having to wait 3 rounds of green lights before being able to complete a U turn as everyone is also scared of the red light camera. 

and the 10 second green light is dumb. You move a not even 1-3 car length then light Turns yellow and then red again. It’s annoying 

Write to MP to write to LTA....

Can cut ribbon after the timing is adjusted to 15 seconds! 

• Haha! 8

Turbocharged

I've experienced this before at a junction. As I use the junction regularly, I know it was not a norm. So I feedback to LTA and it was changed back the next day. Apparently, some setting got changed, not sure if unknowingly.

So if you know it is an abnormal experience, can feedback.

• Praise 2

48 minutes ago, Battledome64 said:

So is it the 10 second or the camera ? If by removing the camera helps, write in to have them remove camera. But if by extending the timing helps, then camera is not the cause. 

Not i  say one😅😅

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

So is it the 10 second or the camera ? If by removing the camera helps, write in to have them remove camera. But if by extending the timing helps, then camera is not the cause. 

Not i  say one😅😅

Removing the camera won't help now. Because now got many bao toh kias like the Roaches on Roach Vigilante waiting to Leeport you. 😂😂😂

Edited by Turboflat4
  • Haha! 3

Write in to LTA to review.. but usually nothing gets done because by exposing their flaws means indirectly saying their scholars are not competent enough..

suggest you take another route instead..

• Haha! 3

7 hours ago, Battledome64 said:

Ah .. that won’t work...  the traffic light supposed to be a smart traffic light. If heavy traffic, the lights changes will be prolonged.

it’s a matter of asking them to repair .. not petition for changes

• Praise 1

8 hours ago, Battledome64 said:

You can feedback to lta at that junction you are facing issue with u turning due to a lot of cars also turning right. Lta will check on their end and see the traffic flow. If lta later found out that the green lights really too short duration, lta will adjust it accordingly. 

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Beanoyip said:

Write in to LTA to review.. but usually nothing gets done because by exposing their flaws means indirectly saying their scholars are not competent enough..

suggest you take another route instead..

Actually no leh. Lta is quite responsive at this. I know because I had feedback quite a number of traffic junction with too short duration of green lights or green arrow. After o feedback to lta, some even give me a call to update me and then 1 or 2 weeks later, that part of traffic junction that I feedback, the green light timing did improved, and traffic also become smoother.. 

Edited by Yewheng
  • Praise 4

8 hours ago, Ct3833 said:

Not i  say one😅😅

It's not remove red light camera, it's prolong the green light duration that helps. I think TS is thinking if can remove red light camera means drivers can u turn say 1 to 2 seconds after the green arrow to to orange and orange to red. This is not the correct mindset.. As that itself is still beating red light be it 1 or 2 seconds after it turn red. I saw many drivers always do that stunt. The red light camera is there for a reason, that is to prevent drivers from beating red light be it 1 or 2 seconds after it turn red, it still consider beat red light. The correct way is to feedback to lta to prolong the green light duration. 

Edited by Yewheng

2 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

It's not remove red light camera, it's prolong the green light duration that helps. I think TS is thinking if can remove red light camera means drivers can u turn say 1 to 2 seconds after the green arrow to to orange and orange to red. This is not the correct mindset.. As that itself is still beating red light be it 1 or 2 seconds after it turn red. I saw many drivers always do that stunt. The red light camera is there for a reason, that is to prevent drivers from beating red light be it 1 or 2 seconds after it turn red, it still consider beat red light. The correct way is to feedback to lta to prolong the green light duration. 

This is where LTA need to start innovating, and implement smart traffic lights or something and to adapt based on traffic conditions, not just a static change of traffic light timing..

• Praise 1

1 minute ago, Beanoyip said:

This is where LTA need to start innovating, and implement smart traffic lights or something and to adapt based on traffic conditions, not just a static change of traffic light timing..

If I remember correctly, I did read article that lta is trialing the smart traffic system or something. Maybe it is cost that are the consideration too. Maybe when cost become cheaper then can slowly expend to whole of Singapore too lor. As of now, Singapore traffic condition is still not that bad leh. 

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

You can feedback to lta at that junction you are facing issue with u turning due to a lot of cars also turning right. Lta will check on their end and see the traffic flow. If lta later found out that the green lights really too short duration, lta will adjust it accordingly. 

I don't think we have smart traffic lights here. All timing based. How to expect stupid people to install smart things?Only some loop sensor type. Sensor is not equivalent to smart. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Sdf4786k said:

Ah .. that won’t work...  the traffic light supposed to be a smart traffic light. If heavy traffic, the lights changes will be prolonged.

it’s a matter of asking them to repair .. not petition for changes

I don't think we have smart traffic lights here. All timing based. How to expect stupid people to install smart things? Only some loop sensor type. Sensor is not equivalent to smart. 

PS. Actually 10 seconds is a long time, can clear 5 cars. Most queueing there must be day dreaming or don't rev their engines beyond 1500 rpm. 

Edited by Volvobrick
  • Praise 1

44 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I don't think we have smart traffic lights here. All timing based. How to expect stupid people to install smart things? Only some loop sensor type. Sensor is not equivalent to smart. 

PS. Actually 10 seconds is a long time, can clear 5 cars. Most queueing there must be day dreaming or don't rev their engines beyond 1500 rpm. 

10 seconds is not long. You need to consider human reaction time. By the time the driver depress accelerator, 1 to 2 seconds gone. Then also need to make u turn another 1 to 2 seconds gone. Say total 4 seconds gone just to make a u turn for 1 car. Imagine got 5 cars waiting for u turn. How many can u turn? Maybe the most 3. Left 2 waiting.. Then beside the 2 waiting there are more cars coming.. So now next green light before 7 cars waiting to make u turn. 

Just now, Yewheng said:

10 seconds is not long. You need to consider human reaction time. By the time the driver depress accelerator, 1 to 2 seconds gone. Then also need to make u turn another 1 to 2 seconds gone. Say total 4 seconds gone just to make a u turn for 1 car. Imagine got 5 cars waiting for u turn. How many can u turn? Maybe the most 3. Left 2 waiting.. Then beside the 2 waiting there are more cars coming.. So now next green light before 7 cars waiting to make u turn. 

That's the problem - only start to react when the immediate car in front starts to move. And 2 seconds to react? I will honk the fellow already. Cos they are not sloths! 

My foot is ready to step on the pedal once the lights for traffic going straight turns red.

• Praise 1

14 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

That's the problem - only start to react when the immediate car in front starts to move. And 2 seconds to react? I will honk the fellow already. Cos they are not sloths! 

My foot is ready to step on the pedal once the lights for traffic going straight turns red.

So you see.. I point out the problem. So easy solution is to increase the traffic light timing duration by say 5 more seconds. As we can't possibly know what other drivers reaction time and etc. So it is a lot easier just by increasing the traffic light timing duration, or make the road wider for drivers to make u turn. Wider road = less time needed to make u turn. 

Edited by Yewheng
↡ Advertisement