SAF New Load Bearing Vest

Carbon82

While it look like a small improvement, a lot of effort were put into the development of this new vest, which definitely will have a big impact on the soldier's performance. [thumbsup] 

Just a question: How could the solider adopt prone position with the pouch directly in front of his chest? [confused]

SAF NSFs get new load bearing vest that improves heat dissipation, gives better support

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-soldiers.jpg

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-rear.jpg

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-parts.jpg

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-standard-ves

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) has rolled out a new load bearing system (LBS) that is better at distributing weight and dissipating heat, allowing soldiers to last longer and fight more effectively on the battlefield.

“The CESP applied human factors engineering during the evaluation of the LBS to identify areas to improve the mobility of soldiers and reduce stress points induced by equipment to maximise our soldiers’ combat effectiveness,” the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) said in a news release on Wednesday (Dec 2).

According to MINDEF, the LBS’ strong yet lightweight material improves heat dissipation by 30 per cent. It is also more adjustable than the current integrated load bearing vest (iLBV), meaning it is more comfortable for soldiers with different body sizes.

The LBS comprises two main parts: A belt and a standard or enhanced vest. The belt, which carries some of the pouches on the LBS, focuses the load on the hips and leg muscles. These pouches carry soldier equipment like ammunition, grenades, torchlights and water bottles. In contrast, the one-piece iLBV does not have a belt and carries all of its pouches on the vest. This puts the load on the shoulders.

The enhanced vest comes with a detachable body armour carrier that can be inserted with a metal plate for more ballistic protection. The carrier can be removed depending on the mission and for better heat dissipation.

Soldiers will be equipped with different components of the LBS depending on their training requirements and mission profiles. For instance, commanders can attach a larger pouch near the top of their vests for communications equipment.

A stripped down and mission-specific LBS, paired with a cooler hybrid uniform, will increase heat dissipation and improve combat effectiveness, LTC Ho said.

“The multi-component system actually helps to distribute the load across different muscle groups of the body and hence increases the soldier’s sustainability out in the field,” he added.

MINDEF said the LBS’ belt component can be customised to size and worn on the hips, thus reducing strain on the shoulders.

“Both the standard and enhanced vests come in different sizes and feature multiple adjustable points for soldiers to ensure the vest fits snugly, allowing them to perform their combat tasks more effectively and over longer durations,” it stated.

The adjustable points include a belly band that focuses the load on the core muscles, and a yoke system near the neck that ensures weight is distributed evenly across the shoulders.

The LBS also features buckle fasteners, as opposed to a velcro system in the iLBV. Despite the multiple components and different systems, LTC Ho said soldiers can put on the LBS in a “similar” amount of time.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 16

did they make the helmet smaller?? 

the vest is ok given that i believe we train more urban warfare then fire movement jungle fight i believe

but i simple hate so many thing on my head

5 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

Luckily i completed my NS 30 years ago....  No need to carry all this additional weight around. 

Thats what you think....

Muayhahaha

now you just do different NS, using money....heeeheee

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
20 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Thats what you think....

Muayhahaha

now you just do different NS, using money....heeeheee

No sweat,  underwear wet wet! 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
1 minute ago, Watwheels said:

So after wearing all these new stuff nobody can see who is who and what rank. 😂

SAF scholar, "well done".

Once they started putting the rank on the bow-tie in front already cannot see....  Must upfront and personal then can see. 

I still think on the shoulders nicer and easier to see. 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
10 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I will support if there is cool air blowing onto the wearer of the vest.

You still have to wear those things? 

• Haha! 1

Twincharged
57 minutes ago, Beregond said:

the vest is ok given that i believe we train more urban warfare then fire movement jungle fight i believe

armydaze1.jpg

• Haha! 1

Internal Moderator
1 hour ago, Carbon82 said:

While it look like a small improvement, a lot of effort were put into the development of this new vest, which definitely will have a big impact on the soldier's performance. [thumbsup] 

Just a question: How could the solider adopt prone position with the pouch directly in front of his chest? [confused]

SAF NSFs get new load bearing vest that improves heat dissipation, gives better support

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-soldiers.jpg

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-rear.jpg

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-parts.jpg

saf-lbs-load-bearing-system-standard-ves

SINGAPORE: The Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) has rolled out a new load bearing system (LBS) that is better at distributing weight and dissipating heat, allowing soldiers to last longer and fight more effectively on the battlefield.

“The CESP applied human factors engineering during the evaluation of the LBS to identify areas to improve the mobility of soldiers and reduce stress points induced by equipment to maximise our soldiers’ combat effectiveness,” the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) said in a news release on Wednesday (Dec 2).

According to MINDEF, the LBS’ strong yet lightweight material improves heat dissipation by 30 per cent. It is also more adjustable than the current integrated load bearing vest (iLBV), meaning it is more comfortable for soldiers with different body sizes.

The LBS comprises two main parts: A belt and a standard or enhanced vest. The belt, which carries some of the pouches on the LBS, focuses the load on the hips and leg muscles. These pouches carry soldier equipment like ammunition, grenades, torchlights and water bottles. In contrast, the one-piece iLBV does not have a belt and carries all of its pouches on the vest. This puts the load on the shoulders.

The enhanced vest comes with a detachable body armour carrier that can be inserted with a metal plate for more ballistic protection. The carrier can be removed depending on the mission and for better heat dissipation.

Soldiers will be equipped with different components of the LBS depending on their training requirements and mission profiles. For instance, commanders can attach a larger pouch near the top of their vests for communications equipment.

A stripped down and mission-specific LBS, paired with a cooler hybrid uniform, will increase heat dissipation and improve combat effectiveness, LTC Ho said.

“The multi-component system actually helps to distribute the load across different muscle groups of the body and hence increases the soldier’s sustainability out in the field,” he added.

MINDEF said the LBS’ belt component can be customised to size and worn on the hips, thus reducing strain on the shoulders.

“Both the standard and enhanced vests come in different sizes and feature multiple adjustable points for soldiers to ensure the vest fits snugly, allowing them to perform their combat tasks more effectively and over longer durations,” it stated.

The adjustable points include a belly band that focuses the load on the core muscles, and a yoke system near the neck that ensures weight is distributed evenly across the shoulders.

The LBS also features buckle fasteners, as opposed to a velcro system in the iLBV. Despite the multiple components and different systems, LTC Ho said soldiers can put on the LBS in a “similar” amount of time.

You going back to army ah???? don't scare me leh! They cannot afford your insurance liao lah!

9 minutes ago, Ysc3 said:

You still have to wear those things? 

For the love of future generations.

But I'm not hopeful. We have been talking about aircon helmet and SBO for ages...

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

Sharp eyes!

SAF NSFs get new ergonomic 'high-cut' helmets that improve combat effectiveness

saf-new-high-cut-helmet-equipment.jpg

saf-new-high-cut-helmet-equipment-combat

SINGAPORE: Full-time national servicemen enlisted with the Singapore Armed Forces (SAF) since October 2019 have been using ergonomic "high-cut" helmets designed to improve combat effectiveness.

The new helmet also allows better integration with other equipment, such as communication headsets and night vision devices, said the Ministry of Defence (MINDEF) on Wednesday (Sep 16) in response to queries from CNA.

"The new helmet is part of the Army’s efforts to leverage on science and technology to provide ergonomically designed equipment to enhance the combat effectiveness for every soldier," said MINDEF.

While the helmet's high-cut design means it is lighter and can accommodate more communications and hearing protection systems, it also offers less protection on the side, the report said.

13 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

You going back to army ah???? don't scare me leh! They cannot afford your insurance liao lah!

Not me lah, I too old for army liao... My son will be enlisted on 5 Jan next year, so this improvement came timely (to me). [:)]

6 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

For the love of future generations.

But I'm not hopeful. We have been talking about aircon helmet and SBO for ages...

With cool air blowing helmet or vest / SBO, it cannot be tactical, and don't forget about water damage (to the electrical component) when it get wet during heavy downpour and river crossing.

• Praise 8

7 minutes ago, Carbon82 said:

Sharp eyes!

'While the helmet's high-cut design means it is lighter and can accommodate more communications and hearing protection systems, it also offers less protection on the side, the report said.

like it say less protection at the side. but lppl. nowsaday solider need to wear so many extra communication stuff. 

i dun know if nowsaday soldier train leopard crawl . but i hate so many stuff on my chest . 

Edited by Beregond

42 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

I will support if there is cool air blowing onto the wearer of the vest.

Just bring this to ICT. Remember to paint it green first:

Screenshot_20201202_181452.thumb.jpg.a6c7cbb9b3ab0d84509710ebaccb73cf.jpg

Edited by Volvobrick
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2