Car side mirror films

Philipkee

Hi all,

Lately i have been thinking of putting a water repellent film on my car side mirrors and windows.  

I have heard feedback it's not useful, it makes vision worse and so on.

Anyone has any feedback after using them?

Screenshot_20201203-170244_Samsung Internet.jpg

Edited by Philipkee
↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

I have rainx.   But not that effective lei...  but any issues regarding the film?  I mean I survived without the film since I got my first car...  but just wondering if there are issues with the film.

21 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I have rainx.   But not that effective lei...  but any issues regarding the film?  I mean I survived without the film since I got my first car...  but just wondering if there are issues with the film.

I have bought a few types and brands to try, all don't work.

• Praise 4
  • Sad 1

Twincharged

I think it might work.. But only maybe for one or two weeks... When oil starts to accumulate on the film Then it's time to replace? 

Actually I bought a roll of this film but never got around to cutting it and pasting it. 

50 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

Hi all,

Lately i have been thinking of putting a water repellent film on my car side mirrors and windows.  

Try using sealant spray instead. They are meant for coating car panels but will also provide hydrophobic effect to your side mirror.

https://www.turtlewax.com/products/ice-seal-n-shine-hybrid-sealant-spray-wax-16fl-oz

54 minutes ago, Philipkee said:

I use the soft 99 zero. Can get online or buy for $18 at SPC petrol kiosk. It is a spray-on coating which will last as long as one don't touch it or stained by fly/bird droppings. 

It will just repell water off the coated surface. It is expensive considering its small bottle size, but it has proven the most effective to keep the side mirrors clear from water droplets.

From my experience, one application lasts about 3 to 4 months before water droplets start to form at the edges while majority of the coating still works. And I have to avoid foamy washing at the side mirrors just to prevent it from staining the coating and affects its purpose.

• Praise 4

I can say that I have been driving for donkey years. What I do is roll down the window, use a cloth and wipe the water off the mirror. Free....and it works. Of course do it when the rain has subsided. In the middle of a downpour do what also no use.

Come on lah. For the cheapo film what kinda expectations do you have? Ppl buy a Porsche the side mirrors that came with it also dont work well in rainy conditions. LoL... The car is in the middle of a downpour, what do you expect? If you wear waterproof attire and jump into a pool of water is it going to keep you dry? 

Manage your expectations.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 6

1 hour ago, Philipkee said:

Hi all,

I tried this stick-on, since it's cheap.

It didn't last long. Eventually I took it out.

RainX (or other brand with the same chemical, polysiloxanes) is the best. You just need to apply it correctly. Make sure the glass does not have water. Apply rainX, wait for it to dry, then BUFF off with a dry paper towel or microfilter. I also do it for the side window where I look through at the mirror. And then rainwater won't stick so much to it.

• Praise 1

21 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

I can say that I have been driving for donkey years. What I do is roll down the window, use a cloth and wipe the water off the mirror. Free....and it works. Of course do it when the rain has subsided. In the middle of a downpour do what also no use.

Come on lah. For the cheapo film what kinda expectations do you have? Ppl buy a Porsche the side mirrors that came with it also dont work well in rainy conditions. LoL... The car is in the middle of a downpour, what do you expect? If you wear waterproof attire and jump into a pool of water is it going to keep you dry? 

Cheaper, faster, better mah

• Haha! 1

12 hours ago, Watwheels said:

There is only one solution during heavy downpour.

Go slow. Do not change lane. 

19 hours ago, boonhat_91 said:

It works like a charm... for the first few weeks.

After a month or 2 it appears cloudy. Gonna try RainX next.

Yes, it does help but ensure that screen is cleaned with window cleaner before applying and can last for about a month before undergoing the same process. Switching on the head / pole lights and slower speeds will be also good during rainy weather :)

17 hours ago, Kopites said:

There is only one solution during heavy downpour.

Go slow. Do not change lane. 

Oh no then must go until the end of expressway since can't change lane and exit 😁😁😁

• Haha! 1

6 hours ago, yellowshaun said:

Oh no then must go until the end of expressway since can't change lane and exit 😁😁😁

Singapore expressway all interlinked. No worry.

Drive till the rain subside or till you garner enough confidence to do a lane change without endangering other road users.

• Haha! 1