Japan Could Ban Sales Of New Gasoline, Diesel Cars In Mid-2030s: Report

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

source: https://www.motor1.com/news/458668/japan-gasoline-diesel-cars-ban/

2021-nissan-ariya.jpg

The country's industry ministry is expected to formalize the deadline soon.

The mechanism to curb the effects of climate change is not showing signs of a halt. And of course, the automotive industry, which admittedly contributes to the current mess, is finding ways to reverse the adversities, mostly by switching to selling electric and hybrid vehicles – or at least they won't have a choice.

Japan is the latest country to announce a deadline to ban the selling of new gasoline- and diesel-powered cars. This is according to NHK, the country's public broadcaster, and relayed in a report by Reuters.

According to the report, Japan is eyeing the mid-2030s for the deadline and is expecting automakers to comply by not selling new fossil fuel-powered vehicles by the said period. It's important to note that Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has pledged in October that Japan will have zero emissions by 2050 on a net basis. 

With this, the Land of the Rising Sun is joining the other countries that have set a deadline. Britain, Norway, and Germany have announced so recently, as well as some parts of the United States and Canada.

Automakers have already responded to this cause a long time ago, that's why there are more hybrid and electric vehicles now more than ever. These companies know that this is the future, and switching over to electrified vehicles will make them future-proof, as they say.

Japan's new deadline, however, will put pressure on its homegrown automakers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Mitsubishi to hasten the R&D timeline for electrification. We've seen new Japanese models, such as the Nissan Ariya EV crossover, this year, so expect more in the near future.

NHK reports that Japan's industry ministry is expected to give a formal target for the sales ban by the end of this year.

Nissan, please come out with a new GTR before 2030! If not it will be a e-GTR liao!

On a sidenote, those kei-vans like every and N-van might be very interesting to electrify them!

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 1

the move toward EV is inevitable. most major country and almost all major car producing country lay out the plan already ,

only those 3rd world country country still struggling to make changes

• Praise 1

37 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

source: https://www.motor1.com/news/458668/japan-gasoline-diesel-cars-ban/

2021-nissan-ariya.jpg

The country's industry ministry is expected to formalize the deadline soon.

The mechanism to curb the effects of climate change is not showing signs of a halt. And of course, the automotive industry, which admittedly contributes to the current mess, is finding ways to reverse the adversities, mostly by switching to selling electric and hybrid vehicles – or at least they won't have a choice.

Japan is the latest country to announce a deadline to ban the selling of new gasoline- and diesel-powered cars. This is according to NHK, the country's public broadcaster, and relayed in a report by Reuters.

According to the report, Japan is eyeing the mid-2030s for the deadline and is expecting automakers to comply by not selling new fossil fuel-powered vehicles by the said period. It's important to note that Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga has pledged in October that Japan will have zero emissions by 2050 on a net basis. 

With this, the Land of the Rising Sun is joining the other countries that have set a deadline. Britain, Norway, and Germany have announced so recently, as well as some parts of the United States and Canada.

Automakers have already responded to this cause a long time ago, that's why there are more hybrid and electric vehicles now more than ever. These companies know that this is the future, and switching over to electrified vehicles will make them future-proof, as they say.

Japan's new deadline, however, will put pressure on its homegrown automakers like Toyota, Honda, Nissan, and Mitsubishi to hasten the R&D timeline for electrification. We've seen new Japanese models, such as the Nissan Ariya EV crossover, this year, so expect more in the near future.

NHK reports that Japan's industry ministry is expected to give a formal target for the sales ban by the end of this year.

But in Singapore we still so AD still bring in petrol verson instead of Hybrid version if there is hybrid version available. Why? 

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

the move toward EV is inevitable. most major country and almost all major car producing country lay out the plan already ,

only those 3rd world country country still struggling to make changes

we r 3rd world. 

$5000 road tax for telsa. wat a joke

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 5

Problem is not all country are ready for e-car. Hope our gov. don't follow suit(soon)

Imagine we drove e-car to KL/Genting and have to call tow truck to transport back the car? Or caught in massive jam in causeway/2nd link to/after visit JB?

Hybrid for me now...

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

47 minutes ago, DylanChen said:

we r 3rd world. 

$5000 road tax for telsa. wat a joke

Tesla and all the luxo-EVs are not saints compared to ICE cars.

Due to their size and weight, they guzzle up lots of energy to move 1km

And they have a huge battery full of precious metals/chemicals which took a lot of energy to manufacture and probably very difficult to recycle.

I fully support high taxation on these vehicles also.

Most env friendly is bicycle and "B.M.W"

• Praise 6
  • Haha! 1

7 minutes ago, Si4dr said:

Problem is not all country are ready for e-car. Hope our gov. don't follow suit(soon)

Imagine we drove e-car to KL/Genting and have to call tow truck to transport back the car? Or caught in massive jam in causeway/2nd link to/after visit JB?

Hybrid for me now...

LTA started EV charging station tender.

Why do our development needs to be bundle with our neighbour?

11 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

And they have a huge battery full of precious metals/chemicals which took a lot of energy to manufacture and probably very difficult to recycle.

Even road tax for Nissan Leaf is a joke.

It is $1,542/annum.

• Praise 1

How long can an EV sit in a traffic jam on a hot day like ours with A/C running? Don't mention Bangkok or KL, just at our own Sgp/JB causeway.

Or if some ppl cause a major accident at 1 or 2 expressway at peak hour? Drivers all head to the nearest charging point. Then form a massive queue going to charge their EVs.

Now EV makers just brag how fast their EVs are, what's their range but nobody mentions for how long can their EV sit in traffic.

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 3

5 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

How long can an EV sit in a traffic jam on a hot day like ours with A/C running? Don't mention Bangkok or KL, just at our own Sgp/JB causeway.

Or if some ppl cause a major accident at 1 or 2 expressway at peak hour? Drivers all head to the nearest charging point. Then form a massive queue going to charge their EVs.

I've run the AC for 2-3 hours myself sitting at a park working on my computer. If you put the car in ECO mode while you're parked, that limits the AC to 1500 watts max IIRC. Five hours running a 1500 watt load would be 7.5 kWh, or ~31% of your battery.

Not forgetting that EV has Regen brake that helps in START STOP traffic.

Edited by inlinesix

55 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

I am not sure which is more sustainable in the long run, or the newer concept engine will give rise even more crtical issues. 

So after crude oil, we are plundering precious metals. What's the total carbon footprint for the new cars. Will we be clearing more forests to make way for power stations?

Is petrol or electricity or energy dense or efficient apart from being " selfishly cleaner"? 

I tot the current turbo hybrid is good and that we should build up on that and weigh the balance. I always feel the best is to achieve efficiency rather than energy dissipated into the useless and harmful kinds. 

Maybe those up there know a lot more than us.  I would like to believe the governments already have the solutions and pipelines to address the disadvantages of the new engine concept? Which is a lesser evil? 

• Praise 6

2 hours ago, Phluvcat said:

I am not sure which is more sustainable in the long run, or the newer concept engine will give rise even more crtical issues. 

So after crude oil, we are plundering precious metals. What's the total carbon footprint for the new cars. Will we be clearing more forests to make way for power stations?

Is petrol or electricity or energy dense or efficient apart from being " selfishly cleaner"? 

I tot the current turbo hybrid is good and that we should build up on that and weigh the balance. I always feel the best is to achieve efficiency rather than energy dissipated into the useless and harmful kinds. 

Maybe those up there know a lot more than us.  I would like to believe the governments already have the solutions and pipelines to address the disadvantages of the new engine concept? Which is a lesser evil? 

Profit-driven companies pushing idea that battery cars are less harmful than petrol diesel 

• Praise 5

7 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Profit-driven companies pushing idea that battery cars are less harmful than petrol diesel 

Both eat resources. 

But if go into details. Combustion  engine still  harm the environment  more.

The smoke go straight  into the air.Esp big diesel .  I believe  most  country  will  be switching even before the earth crude oil run out.

Those  car making company  make Combustion car or make ev still ripping profits  ma.

In fact i think  Combustion  engine more money to make

43 minutes ago, Mustank said:

Well, that's absolutely wrong.

Rather, it is the legislator that push business towards that direction.

Now, we have EURO6 which almost kill big CC diesel as well as the introduction of Petrol Particulate filter.

As the years go by, the future of 6L V12 is doomed.

In addition, large auto companies have a CO2 target to hit.  Not hitting that target is both compliance and PR nightmare.

3 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Not forgetting that EV has Regen brake that helps in START STOP traffic.

The cluster f traffic jams we see at causeway. Regen braking won't come into play. Distance too short. Lol. 

The ten twenty km slowdowns you see on interstates etc. Maybe. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

Well, that's absolutely wrong.

Rather, it is the legislator that push business towards that direction.

Now, we have EURO6 which almost kill big CC diesel as well as the introduction of Petrol Particulate filter.

As the years go by, the future of 6L V12 is doomed.

In addition, large auto companies have a CO2 target to hit.  Not hitting that target is both compliance and PR nightmare.

Current F1 1.6L V6 hybrid engine pushing 50 efficiency and achieving around 1000bhp. 100L fuel tank pushing about 350km distance. 

With advancement in technology of harvesting energies and aerodynamic, screaming V10s and V12s will be bygone days, except for supercars? 

↡ Advertisement