Show and tell, my 2020

SGMCF328

Left my comfort zone and joined a friend in a new startup in the beginning of the year. Things were quite ok until end March, but downturn followed with the implementation of circuit breaker. Probably will move on to another company next year if situation does not improve. 

OK, show and tell. My current job requires me to be on the move, even during Circuit Breaker, so the hardest hit for me would be the NO dine in measures. 

ychawker140420.jpg

It changes how I eat as well as the type of food I bought. I will avoid wet stuff like soup and noodle. And these are how I eat my dabao food. 

20200904_hawker02.jpg

McDonald become my prime choice as I can have a quick bite on the go but they were order to shut in mid April to early May.

McDONALD%25E2%2580%2599s+CLOSED+FOR+BUSI

The resuming of dine in at hawker center was one of the 'best' announcements from the government, as I can finally enjoy a bowl of bee hoon soup in proper sitting position. 

ychawker030420.jpg

fishballnoodlesoup.jpg

Never did I ever realise that even our way of eating can be affected drastically by Covid. It is time to treasure what we have now and don't take things for granted.

Take care everyone. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 14

On 12/7/2020 at 4:51 PM, Jamesc said:

image.thumb.png.aacc764efd978ef3bbdca65eb389134a.png

Boss, this pic is just part of the story, how to ration toilet paper. I don't have pictures, but steps described below:

Step 1: Fold the toilet paper (1 square) into 4.

Step 2: Tear off a small corner, such that when you open it up, there is a hole in the centre of the TP. Keep that small piece carefully.

Step 3: Unfold and stick your finger in the hole. (your pic)

Step 4: Wipe your butt with your finger. 😱

Step 5: Wrap the TP around the stinky finger and clean it up.

Step 6: Using the small corner piece torn off in Step 2, wipe between your finger and nail.

There you go, how to clean your butt with 1 piece of toilet paper. 😁

• Haha! 8

Received a package in July  with last day on end Sept. The news didnt come as a surprise to me as I knew it more than a year ahead, I decided to sit and wait because I have never enjoyed receiving a package in my life before. Was happily enjoying my worry free trial-retirement life style in Oct. But after  less than 3 weeks of happiness, an opportunity came by from my ex company , was reluctant to pursue initially and hesitated for a while , but decided to take a plunge eventually. I tried to dealy the start date to Jan but was unsuccessful. Looking back now, 6 weeks on my new role, it was a no regrets  decision.  The job comes with lots of pressure but  i dont feel stressed out like i did before because i  begin my new journey with a different mindset by taking a different perspective in life. To me, the shown to the door was a blessing in disguise, received a package and got a new job, though it would have been perfect if i could take a longer rest , but in life, i learned to be contented, learn to feel blessed and not asking for too much.

Covid 19  2020 is a good year for me, as I get to spend a lot of quality time with my family, especially my grandchildren at home .

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 15

Supercharged

2020 to me is full of turmoil, like the photo I took on Aug 23th. Huge changes in my work arrangement. It's a paradigm shift for both me & my boss. I've never spent so much time with my family before, and I'm glad it brought us closer together. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I hope there is although I can't seem to see it yet.

I wish you and your love ones a happy & healthy Christmas that stretches into the new year.

20200823_115202.jpg

• Praise 7

10 hours ago, Didu said:

2020 to me is full of turmoil, like the photo I took on Aug 23th. Huge changes in my work arrangement. It's a paradigm shift for both me & my boss. I've never spent so much time with my family before, and I'm glad it brought us closer together. Is there a light at the end of the tunnel? I hope there is although I can't seem to see it yet.

I wish you and your love ones a happy & healthy Christmas that stretches into the new year.

20200823_115202.jpg

That is some people are afraid of, which is more fights and quarrel at home. Hopefully these people managed to settle down and come to terms by now 

Supercharged

Family also need to spend quality time together. Something good to remember by. I took advantage of the SGrediscovery coupons to bungy jump and giant swing with my kids. I think they love the experience. And we can take stock of that as a positive moment in time in our memories. 

Edited by Didu
  • Praise 4

Change and churn on work front that was frustrating. Having to do a job, that requires physical presence ideally, online. Had to let go 2 of my huskies 4 weeks apart each other. Kinda a bummer year.

• Praise 2

On 12/13/2020 at 8:21 AM, Ct3833 said:

Received a package in July  with last day on end Sept. The news didnt come as a surprise to me as I knew it more than a year ahead, I decided to sit and wait because I have never enjoyed receiving a package in my life before. Was happily enjoying my worry free trial-retirement life style in Oct. But after  less than 3 weeks of happiness, an opportunity came by from my ex company , was reluctant to pursue initially and hesitated for a while , but decided to take a plunge eventually. I tried to dealy the start date to Jan but was unsuccessful. Looking back now, 6 weeks on my new role, it was a no regrets  decision.  The job comes with lots of pressure but  i dont feel stressed out like i did before because i  begin my new journey with a different mindset by taking a different perspective in life. To me, the shown to the door was a blessing in disguise, received a package and got a new job, though it would have been perfect if i could take a longer rest , but in life, i learned to be contented, learn to feel blessed and not asking for too much.

Covid 19  2020 is a good year for me, as I get to spend a lot of quality time with my family, especially my grandchildren at home .

Swee lah da ge

• Haha! 1

42 minutes ago, Porker said:

Change and churn on work front that was frustrating. Having to do a job, that requires physical presence ideally, online. Had to let go 2 of my huskies 4 weeks apart each other. Kinda a bummer year.

worst is you can’t go Japan and be with your jap chicks

Part 2 of my encounter with migrant workers. Many were thinking since these foreign workers are well treated, they should be contented but why are there still reports of complaints, unhappiness or even suicide cases? 

Picture this:

1) You are confined within several premises for months (many of these migrant workers were transferred from one quarantine facility to another once every few weeks till the temporary dormitories are in operation), and have restricted movement even within these isolation facilities (cannot walk around free or mingle with others from different room) 

2) You have to depend on the government and employers to get you the necessary stuffs (such as soap, shampoo, shaver / blade, clothing, etc.) as you are not allowed to go out to purchase them and no mama shop within the quarantine facility (until months later) 

3) You have a family to feed back your home town yet you are not allow to go out to work (yes the government are asking employers to pay their workers during CB, but the low basic salary of ~$500+/- is quite pathetic so to speak), and not forgetting that you cannot go out to remit money back home (in the initial stage of CB) 

4) You are worried that you will be repatriated (retrenched, non renewal of work permit, or worst, company folded) and left with not enough money to even buy an air ticket back home (ticket price shot up to >S$2K for a single trip!)

5) Given the surge in no. of cases in dormitories every other days, you are wondering if you will be the next COVID-19 patient and whether you will survive if you caught it, worried that your family will be left without financial support if you passed on, etc. etc. 

6) You have no way to attend to any family emergency in person, even when your loved one is critically ill, or that someone in your family has passed on... I have witnessed several cases of total breakdown when they learnt that their parents, sibling, etc. has passed away and their family member not able to handle the funeral arrangements and expenses

I am personally involved in an attempt suicide case, with the worker leaning against the ledge about 2 arm length in front of me, ready to jump any moment. My mind was running wild: Should I catch him when he jump, what if I am pulled down by him, will I be in guilt if I don't pull him, etc. Anyway, I manage to get him off the ledge safely after about 30 min of constant persuasion (using the limited information I have gathered from his employer, supervisor & co-worker).

Sorry for not been able to share further details due to sensitivity of the case (it was not one of those cases reported in news or social media), but the encounter has left me with a different view of the life of these migrant workers. I am glad that I managed to save a live, and felt obliged to take care of them in whatever way we can...

• Praise 12
  • Sad 1

On 12/24/2020 at 9:00 AM, Didu said:

Family also need to spend quality time together. Something good to remember by. I took advantage of the SGrediscovery coupons to bungy jump and giant swing with my kids. I think they love the experience. And we can take stock of that as a positive moment in time in our memories. 

Wah haha brave sia... 

• Haha! 1

I'm sure many of us in MCF has had several friends, colleagues and family members who are in one way or another facing difficult times and dilemma, we shall learn form one another & share all experiences as whole, be it drama, trauma or merely a life experience, it is a life journey to be a better person, reflex and look back past 3 years how we can do jot better or shouldn't make that decision.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3