Family of three electrocuted to death at Taman Jurong

Raubern

38 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Do it the old timer way.  Boil water in kettle and mix with cold water in big pail.

Don't scald yourself when pouring the hot water.  😬

Those were the days! Got to ration the water. One scoop to wet then shampoo and soap. Keep the rest of the warm water to ensure all sabun washed away! 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 3

On 12/13/2020 at 12:54 PM, Chiawy said:

I used to stay in this block and my mum is currently still living there. RIP to my secondary schoolmate...

I believe the tragedy can be avoided if they periodically get a LEW to check their home electrical system and area where moisture persist, e.g bathroom, kitchen and electrical point near to windows.

Recently, I engaged a LEW to check my 6 years old BTO home. He found out that one of the instant water heater in one of the bathroom is using those black / red wire without any earth lead to connect to the electrical source. He make a change of the wiring with the correct type of cable and thickness gauge.

Lesson learnt from him is that most these hardware stores outsource their installation to workers from the north of this country without any certification or knowledge in electrical installation.

What is LEW? 

1 hour ago, Yewheng said:

What is LEW? 

Licenced Electrical Worker.

The Laojiao normally don't do the hard work, just eye power (if they are really on the ball). Most works are still done by FTs. LOL

Good money for those not academically inclined. 

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 2

Hypersonic

Almost two years later then start the corner's inquiry.  

https://www.todayonline.com/singapore/elderly-couple-son-electrocuted-death-jurong-flat-due-overloaded-fuse-water-heater-1841166

Elderly couple, son electrocuted to death in Jurong flat due to overloaded fuse for water heater

• Omar Manan, 80, Asmah Bujang, 66, and their son Muhamad Ashikin Omar, 45, were found dead in the couple's Ho Ching Road flat
  • An autopsy found their cause of death to be electrocution
  • A coroner's court heard that the instant water heater in the flat's toilet drew electricity from a three-pin plug with a 13-amp fuse 
  • The fuse overloaded and electrocuted Omar in the shower, then killed his wife and son who had gone to help him
  • The state coroner will deliver his findings next month

SINGAPORE — A coroner’s court heard on Wednesday (March 9) that an overloaded fuse in a three-pin plug used to power a water heater was the main factor behind the deaths of an 80-year-old man, who was taking a shower in his bathroom, and his 66-year-old wife.

Omar Manan and Asmah Bujang, who had gone to help her husband when he collapsed, were fatally electrocuted in their Ho Ching Road flat in the Jurong Lakeside district on Dec 10, 2020.

Their 45-year-old son, Muhamad Ashikin Omar, also tragically died after going to the flat with his teenage daughter and trying to help his parents.

Two investigation officers from the Energy Market Authority (EMA) and Singapore Police Force took the witness stand on Wednesday, the first day of a coroner’s inquiry into the trio’s deaths.

EVENTS LEADING TO THE TRAGEDY

The coroner’s court heard that Ashikin’s daughter had called him and her mother after failing to reach her grandparents on the phone.

When Ashikin and the girl went over to the Housing and Development Board (HDB) flat, they heard the sound of water flowing. Ashikin managed to break open the padlock securing the main metal gate and they rushed in, finding the elderly couple in a toilet near the kitchen.

Omar was nude and lying face-up, while his wife was slumped over with her head and chest pressed against the wall.

Ashikin’s daughter then saw her father make contact with her grandfather while calling out: “Mak (Malay for mother)!”

Ashikin then collapsed on top of the elderly man. In a state of shock, the girl called her mother who in turn contacted the Singapore Civil Defence Force.

Paramedics soon arrived and pronounced Omar dead at 5.04pm and Asmah at 5.09pm.

Ashikin was taken to Ng Teng Fong General Hospital, but resuscitation efforts failed and he was pronounced dead at 5.23pm.

An autopsy concluded that the cause of death for all three was electrocution. The police did not suspect foul play.

FUSE OVERLOADED, NO RESIDUAL CURRENT CIRCUIT BREAKER

On Wednesday, Mr Goh Chin Fong, a senior associate engineer from the EMA, testified that the instant water heater in the toilet drew electricity from a three-pin plug with a 13-amp fuse.

This plug was connected to an extension outlet connected to a socket in the kitchen.

Mr Goh said that the fuse had overloaded, causing the neutral and earth cables in the plug to melt from the heat and fuse together.

The operating current of the water heater was 14.2 amps, higher than what the 13-amp fuse could take.

Mr Goh noted that because the cables had melted together, the electric current had flowed back to the copper heating tank of the water heater, which in turn energised the metallic water hose that Omar was holding.

The current then flowed from his hand to the wet ground, electrocuting him.

The accident would not have happened if a double pole switch with a standalone circuit was used, the investigation officer added. This would have prevented overheating and electrocution.

When questioned by State Counsel Ong Xin Jie on whether double pole switches are now installed in newer HDB flats, Mr Goh said that HDB began installing water heater connections with such switches in the late 1980s.

The couple’s flat had been built in 1971 when instant water heaters were not around, while the couple's water heater had been installed sometime after 2008.

Separately, Mr Goh further noted that the circuitry from which the water heater drew on was also not protected by a residual current circuit breaker (RCCB). This was not a requirement when the flat was built.

The RCCB would have tripped and cut off the electricity supply, but Mr Goh told the court that it was only a secondary protective measure. The main cause of the electrocution was the damaged cables in the three-pin plug.

An RCCB was installed when the flat underwent an upgrading programme in the early 2000s, but it only protected circuitry at the utility room and would not have interrupted electricity supply to the water heater, Mr Goh said.

CIRCUIT BREAKERS SHOULD BE TESTED REGULARLY

When asked by State Counsel Ong about what advice he would give to homeowners, Mr Goh told the court that they should not use such a three-pin plug or a 13-amp fuse for bathroom appliances like instant water heaters, and instead check their bathroom for connection points meant for water heaters.

If there are no such points, homeowners should engage a licensed electrical worker to install a standalone circuit for the water heater.

Homeowners can also engage a qualified technician to connect the heater to a connection point, Mr Goh said.

It is also good practice for homeowners to regularly test their RCCB by pressing the test button monthly. Electricity supply in the premises should be completely cut off — if not, homeowners should engage a licensed electrical worker to rectify the problem, he added.

State Coroner Adam Nakhoda will deliver his findings on April 29. The couple’s daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were also present in court as next-of-kin.

• Shocked 1
  • Sad 2

Hypersonic

Personally have seen cable melted due to high current and poor contacts. Those fast boiled kettles that boils 1.7l in 3  or 4 mins better get thick cable. The cables do run hot if it's too thin.

• Praise 2

Supercharged
(edited)
5 minutes ago, Ender said:

Personally have seen cable melted due to high current and poor contacts. Those fast boiled kettles that boils 1.7l in 3  or 4 mins better get thick cable. The cables do run hot if it's too thin.

Actually I still confused about the coroner findings (I am electrical engineering trained and experienced in electrical DIY).

I thought all flats even the old flats will have a circuit board with localized and central circuit breakers?

If something shorts, either the localized CB (ideally) or the central CB (worst case) will trip?

Edited by t0y0ta
  • Praise 1

1 hour ago, Ender said:

CIRCUIT BREAKERS SHOULD BE TESTED REGULARLY

When asked by State Counsel Ong about what advice he would give to homeowners, Mr Goh told the court that they should not use such a three-pin plug or a 13-amp fuse for bathroom appliances like instant water heaters, and instead check their bathroom for connection points meant for water heaters.

If there are no such points, homeowners should engage a licensed electrical worker to install a standalone circuit for the water heater.

Homeowners can also engage a qualified technician to connect the heater to a connection point, Mr Goh said.

It is also good practice for homeowners to regularly test their RCCB by pressing the test button monthly. Electricity supply in the premises should be completely cut off — if not, homeowners should engage a licensed electrical worker to rectify the problem, he added.

State Coroner Adam Nakhoda will deliver his findings on April 29. The couple’s daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter were also present in court as next-of-kin.

who will know this kind of thing? Shouldn't hdb send people to inspect these aging flats instead of pushing to the home owners? ask them difference between mcb and rccb see how many know. 

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Actually I still confused about the coroner findings (I am electrical engineering trained and experienced in electrical DIY).

I thought all flats even the old flats will have a circuit board with localized and central circuit breakers?

If something shorts, either the localized CB (ideally) or the central CB (worst case) will trip?

I think the main culprit is the fusing of the neutral and earth. Thus the elcb might not trip. And it is not a short circuit (current overload) and thus the fuse overheat without breaking the circuit. 

Really a confluence of unfortunate factors. 

• Praise 4

Hypersonic
4 minutes ago, t0y0ta said:

Actually I still confused (I am electrical engineering trained and experienced in electrical DIY).

I not am a electrical engineer. But your house cb should trip when shorted.

But according to the article, it seems old flat don't have circuit breaker...

Hypersonic
3 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I think the main culprit is the fusing of the neutral and earth. Thus the elcb might not trip. And it is not a short circuit (current overload) and thus the fuse overheat without breaking the circuit. 

Really a confluence of unfortunate factors. 

21 minutes ago, Ender said:

Also to add, i had my kettle connect to a multi socket, one got burning smell. Open the socket, got plastic part melted. Now my kettle plugged into a socket by itself.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

8 minutes ago, Ender said:

I not am a electrical engineer. But your house cb should trip when shorted.

But according to the article, it seems old flat don't have circuit breaker...

https://electrical-engineering-portal.com/what-is-the-difference-between-mcb-mccb-elcb-and-rccb

There are a few types of circuit breakers. In this case I think there is no current overload, so ELCB and RCCB are the relevant ones to protect.

• Praise 3

2 hours ago, t0y0ta said:

Nope. Flats build in the 1970s do not have such circuit breakers. They do not even have grounding. Only 1 main breaker for the lights and 1 main breaker for the 13A plugs  from the incoming meter. That's what I found out when renovating my 1970's flat.

These main circuit breakers rating were pretty high so even if there were leaking electricity, these breakers will not trip. Like this case, the plug will melt before any kind of trip will happen at the breakers.

And without grounding, guess where the electricity will go thru the fastest route.

The electrician who rewired were shocked to find this out.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3
  • Shocked 2