Family of three electrocuted to death at Taman Jurong

Raubern

26 minutes ago, Starry said:

On the above, the 3-pin plug has a 13A fuse inside right?  If 14 amps run through it, wouldn't the fuse breaks and cut off the electricity at the plug? 

Just wondering.......

The current leakage through the human body is way below 13A.  

ELCB prevents leakage to earth (through a human for example).  MCB should cut in when there is a overload (not necessary leakage). That 13A fuse is really the last resort when the MCB fails to trip.

https://goldmedalindia.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-mcb-mccb-elcb-rccb/#:~:text=What is the difference between MCB and ELCB%3F,like short circuits and overload.

There is also RCCB, which I think is newer solution to the ELCB.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

16 minutes ago, 13177 said:

So it mean for electrical applicances, even it is not powered on, it might still can tripped off the RCCB? Or even have risk to electrocuted a person?

Yes, it will trip the breaker. This can be due to a degraded power cord or the appliance. So to isolate, you have to pull the plug/power cord out completely.

I accidentally touch a neutral wire once, even though I switched off the MCB, the RCCB tripped, and I got a mild shock.

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 1

The CNA video mentioned about the water storage heater, the malay guy whose toilet caught fire.

I tot storage water tank heater only need on one heater switch. how come his one need on both the common toilet and mbr one? unless you got two tank

4 minutes ago, Kb27 said:

Yes, it will trip the breaker. This can be due to a degraded power cord or the appliance. So to isolate, you have to pull the plug/power cord out completely.

I accidentally touch a neutral wire once, even though I switched off the MCB, the RCCB tripped, and I got a mild shock.

Looks like not completely safe even the power is not switch on. So have to pull the plug/power cord out completely then safe?! 😅

• Praise 1

3 minutes ago, Dannnn said:

The CNA video mentioned about the water storage heater, the malay guy whose toilet caught fire.

I tot storage water tank heater only need on one heater switch. how come his one need on both the common toilet and mbr one? unless you got two tank

most likely to turn on the tank heater from both location

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Dannnn said:

I think that malay guy case is the previous owner installed 2 heater switch, maybe for convenience purpose. But never do it properly.

• Praise 1

47 minutes ago, Starry said:

On the above, the 3-pin plug has a 13A fuse inside right?  If 14 amps run through it, wouldn't the fuse breaks and cut off the electricity at the plug? 

Just wondering.......

I don't trust all fuses that will blow immediately when it hits the rated number. There's quick blow, slow blow and some other types of fuses.

Now, when you compare a branded fuse like LITTELFUSE. It can cost $1 each, while the unknown Chinese fuse cost 1 cent. What's the difference ? I think it's all about quality,

A cheap Chinese fuse may or may not blow. [laugh]

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 1

26 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Looks like not completely safe even the power is not switch on. So have to pull the plug/power cord out completely then safe?! 😅

Yes, bcuz most normal switches only switch the live wire on and off. It doesn't disconnect the neutral wire. So the neutral wire stay in circuit, which is still connected to the RCCB.

If you install an isolator, it switches both live and neutral wires on and off. Let's say I wire from the main RCCB to an isolator. And all my following power sockets are connected to this isolator. If I want to work on those sockets, I can just switch off the isolator, no need to switch off the RCCB.

HTB1gN_FtruWBuNjSszgq6z8jVXai.jpg

Edited by Kb27
  • Praise 5

That fire looks a bit small.

The water will be cold.

I will make a bigger fire for her.

:D

image.png.bfbe32730a45c8bde47ac5376d1a1792.png

2 hours ago, Strat said:

you can use this to save some electricity...tell you MIL is 100% safe ..

won't get electrocuted  

outdoor-bath-heated-with.jpg

• Haha! 2

2 hours ago, Volvobrick said:

The current leakage through the human body is way below 13A.  

ELCB prevents leakage to earth (through a human for example).  MCB should cut in when there is a overload (not necessary leakage). That 13A fuse is really the last resort when the MCB fails to trip.

https://goldmedalindia.com/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-mcb-mccb-elcb-rccb/#:~:text=What is the difference between MCB and ELCB%3F,like short circuits and overload.

There is also RCCB, which I think is newer solution to the ELCB.

The rating of your household RCCB is 30 mAmp. That 0.03 amps far from 13 Amps 😆 

4 hours ago, Strat said:

you can use this to save some electricity...tell you MIL is 100% safe ..

won't get electrocuted  

outdoor-bath-heated-with.jpg

@Jamesc

Don't forget the onions, potatoes, celery and carrots plus a couple of chicken stock cubes.

Hooga shagaa.

• Haha! 2

33 minutes ago, Abracadabra said:

@Jamesc

Don't forget the onions, potatoes, celery and carrots plus a couple of chicken stock cubes.

Hooga shagaa.

Just nice for CNY reunion dinner.

I always said my MIL make a very good hotpot.

• Haha! 1

5 hours ago, 13177 said:

Unless the owner rewire the whole house electrical wire, and separate one line for the water heater. But if the owner wants to install storage heater, think it is a must to have a separate line for it, even the house does not have one.

yep, not just storage heater, instant heater as well

Last time my parents time think nobody care de, i think the installer just pull from somewhere then add in heater switch, so i was wondering if an instant heater with its own ELCB will help

• Praise 2

4 hours ago, Kb27 said:

I don't trust all fuses that will blow immediately when it hits the rated number. There's quick blow, slow blow and some other types of fuses.

Now, when you compare a branded fuse like LITTELFUSE. It can cost $1 each, while the unknown Chinese fuse cost 1 cent. What's the difference ? I think it's all about quality,

A cheap Chinese fuse may or may not blow. [laugh]

That's a very good point.  The quality of the fuse inside that plug is also important.

20 hours ago, Gunzy said:

yep, not just storage heater, instant heater as well

Last time my parents time think nobody care de, i think the installer just pull from somewhere then add in heater switch, so i was wondering if an instant heater with its own ELCB will help

ELCB/RCCB measure the total current leakage which is accumulative from the circuit it protects. Each appliances may have a small leakage and should they add up to 30 mAmps, it trips. So if you protect each with a 30 mAmps, it means less protection lor. 😆 No need be so kiasu but water heater is important to be installed by people who understand electricity.

• Praise 1

On 1/17/2023 at 1:18 PM, Jamesc said:

This is a good idea

I will put the kettle into my MIL bathtub.

I assume still plug into the wall and switched on to heat up the water?

Maybe can also save electricity putting the toaster in the bathtub too?

image.png.a8b249b787fda2e212720bb2cde599df.png

image.thumb.png.99569ad2c0b0b577ce3eaa1d559daefc.png

1.jpg.fabd69586aa24e0a51848365432eaffc.jpg

I suggest you don't do it. She used the bathed water and make coffee for you.

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, DOBIEMKZ said:

I suggest you don't do it. She used the bathed water and make coffee for you.

Is this how they make dirty coffee?