Family of three electrocuted to death at Taman Jurong

Raubern

达曼裕廊惨案
厕所热水器或肇祸
妻救夫 儿救双亲
一家三口疑触电死

The uncle collapsed in the bathroom while showering.  Wife tried to save him and was electrocuted. Son saw his parents collapsed in the bathroom and tried to save them and he was electrocuted as well. Water heater suspected to be the cause. This is tragic 😢

131041101_5347986478560543_3001251539743

Edited by Raubern
↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 9

It is very important to get a licenced electrical contractor to do such installation. More so around wet areas and item you have body contacts. Many 'electrician' only know how to connect it to works but don't understand between live and neutral or earthing.  

• Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

Just now, Watwheels said:

Scary. Actually I have done my own shower heater replacement before.

It is safe if you know what you are doing. But electrical works in moisture-laden area is always tricky. Nonetheless, the works done by those electrical contractor out there are also not say very high standard. Same for the components that they use. 

• Shocked 1

1 minute ago, Sosaria said:

It is safe if you know what you are doing. But electrical works in moisture-laden area is always tricky. Nonetheless, the works done by those electrical contractor out there are also not say very high standard. Same for the components that they use. 

Can be a number of factors.

In the 2018 case, https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/improper-heater-wiring-caused-boys-death-while-showering, The wiring is connected to a 3pin plug and the circuit breaker connected to it is faulty. Now you do not see the shower heater wired to a 3pin plug, that was many years ago.

Another case in 2016, https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysian-student-electrocuted-by-hot-water-heater-while-having-shower, the heater has been in use for 10 years. I think parts and seals inside the heater could have disintegrated. 

That's why last time I change it after 5 years. Now I use gas. Slow but safe and away from me.

• Praise 2

Just now, Beregond said:

my heater also like 10 years liao. stress

This kinda money cannot save. Best is to switch to something that is not next to you when showering be it electrical or gas.

• Praise 3

20 minutes ago, Victor68 said:

It is very important to get a licenced electrical contractor to do such installation. More so around wet areas and item you have body contacts. Many 'electrician' only know how to connect it to works but don't understand between live and neutral or earthing.  

The electrical wiring of the heater is quite simple (earth, live and neutral). To ensure safety, need to buy those that come with built-in ELCB. Once, the circuit detects a shorted path to the ground, it will automatically cut off the power.

Another thing is to check your RCCB monthly. In this case, if the RCCB in their house was working properly, the power supply to the whole house should be cut off at the moment when the mother was electrocuted.

• Praise 4

Tragic!

Even though one might be confident with installing the water heater but do we want to risk our family safety? 

Think twice. Get those with certified. Not those ah beng ah Seng shops.

Changing of tap is perfectly alright. The most flood the house not water heater though.

• Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

15 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Just get a storage heater lah... At most just trip the mains and the circuits all high up near ceiling. 

My friend, instant or storage tank type principle same. Short or leak to earth ( heater body and contact with water) once water touches you and you are not properly isolated, mati. 

• Praise 3

51 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

Can be a number of factors.

In the 2018 case, https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/improper-heater-wiring-caused-boys-death-while-showering, The wiring is connected to a 3pin plug and the circuit breaker connected to it is faulty. Now you do not see the shower heater wired to a 3pin plug, that was many years ago.

Another case in 2016, https://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se-asia/malaysian-student-electrocuted-by-hot-water-heater-while-having-shower, the heater has been in use for 10 years. I think parts and seals inside the heater could have disintegrated. 

That's why last time I change it after 5 years. Now I use gas. Slow but safe and away from me.

Gas can go kaboom or not?

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Beregond said:

my heater also like 10 years liao. stress

Test your ELCB or RCCB regularly.

Push the button and the switch should dropped and electricity cut off.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3