Jump to content
kobayashiGT

2022 Subaru WRX STI To 'Push The Performance And Technological Boundaries'

Recommended Posts

Moderator

2022 Subaru WRX STI To 'Push The Performance And Technological Boundaries'

source: https://www.motor1.com/news/459684/2022-subaru-wrx-sti-push-boundaries/

subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept.jpg

But there's still a lot we don't know about the performance sedan.

We’ve been patiently waiting for the new WRX and WRX STI, but it’s the end of 2020 and we don’t even have spy shots of the performance sedans. We do have an idea regarding how it will look since the dynamic duo is expected to take after the JDM-only 2021 Levorg wagon, and especially the STI Sport variant.

To ease the wait, Subaru through its Australian division is starting to talk about the speedy four-door cars on the occasion of delivering the 10,000th WRX STI in the Land Down Under. Talking about the spicy version of the two sedans, Subie mentions it “is certain to push the performance and technological boundaries still further” than its predecessors.” That’s not saying much, is it? But at least it’s a sign the reveal is fast-approaching.

According to the latest intel, the WRX will allegedly premiere in April 2021 before going on sale later that year. Come June 2022, the WRX STI is expected to follow with more of everything. Both are rumored to share an Ascent-derived turbocharged 2.4-liter boxer engine producing as much as 400 horsepower and 490 Newton-meters (361 pound-feet) of torque in the STI.

The go-faster sedans have been a long time coming, especially since Subaru first alluded to the styling direction the WRXs would take nearly three years ago. Remember the Viziv Performance STI concept? It debuted in January 2018 at the Tokyo Auto Salon as a sharp-looking sedan with an engine Subaru refused to talk about along with blacked-out windows to hide the interior.

subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept.jpg

subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept.jpg

subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept.jpg

subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept.jpg

subaru-viziv-performance-sti-concept.jpg

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

Ok if this comes out with 400hp and a proper manual, I'll choose this over the 400Z.

  • Praise 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

400hp is an achievable stock number.

Stock STI from EJ20 already hit 330hp with S207

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

Pretty good that this doesn't have hybrid electric gubbins added to it...YET. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged (edited)
2 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Ok if this comes out with 400hp and a proper manual, I'll choose this over the 400Z.

Back to the car which you based your nick on? Buy

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

Back to the car which you based your nick on? Buy

Yes bro. Cars plural actually, 2 WRXs (not sti) different body shapes. 

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Supercharged

The fa24 in the ascent is apparently over design and is said to be capable of much higher hp. A turner company used bolt on parts on stock fa24 block and managed to push to 560 at the wheels.

https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2907007

It will be very exciting if subaru puts that into the next sti. BUT, I will be quite sian if the face is like the new levorg. Lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
7 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Ok if this comes out with 400hp and a proper manual, I'll choose this over the 400Z.

Tia gong manual for both WRX and STI is likely, don't ask me tiagong from where HAHAHAHA

  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
45 minutes ago, SiLangKia said:

Tia gong manual for both WRX and STI is likely, don't ask me tiagong from where HAHAHAHA

I mean they've had a manual for every gen and very crappy auto trans introduced only lately, so big surprise right. 😁

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)

The aftermarket parts of the current EJ25 engine are already improved to take on a lot more power.  Namely using billet Aluminium to produce the engine block. It basically means machining the engine block from a solid block of Aluminium in a 5axis machine center.

The weakest link about the boxer flatfour design is its construction. Because the construction of the engine block is 2-halves held together by many pieces of studs and bolts. It's not a strong engine block. The way the car maker is doing it is by casting the Aluminium alloy, there are actually a lot of weak points on the block due to the way it's designed. Casting is a cheap and fast way to mass produce a metal product. Compared to the billet Aluminium engine block a lot more time is needed to get it machined.

Other than the EJ25 the aftermarket ppl also do it on the Mazda rotary engine block and some Toyota straight six engine.

I let the video do the detail explanation. 

 

Why Subaru dont do this kinda billet Aluminium engine block is like I said very time consuming. They cannot make money if they produce car so slowly. Over such a long period of time the aftermarket shops are even better at making the engine than the car maker. They actually iron out and fault find all the weaknesses. Whatever Subaru is rolling out I doubt it can do much better than what is already available to make more power. Like 1,000hp.

Edited by Watwheels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
27 minutes ago, Watwheels said:

The aftermarket parts of the current EJ25 engine are already improved to take on a lot more power.  Namely using billet Aluminium to produce the engine block. It basically means machining the engine block from a solid block of Aluminium in a 5axis machine center.

The weakest link about the boxer flatfour design is its construction. Because the construction of the engine block is 2-halves held together by many pieces of studs and bolts. It's not a strong engine block. The way the car maker is doing it is by casting the Aluminium alloy, there are actually a lot of weak points on the block due to the way it's designed. Casting is a cheap and fast way to mass produce a metal product. Compared to the billet Aluminium engine block a lot more time is needed to get it machined.

Other than the EJ25 the aftermarket ppl also do it on the Mazda rotary engine block and some Toyota straight six engine.

I let the video do the detail explanation. 

 

Why Subaru dont do this kinda billet Aluminium engine block is like I said very time consuming. They cannot make money if they produce car so slowly. Over such a long period of time the aftermarket shops are even better at making the engine than the car maker. They actually iron out and fault find all the weaknesses. Whatever Subaru is rolling out I doubt it can do much better than what is already available to make more power. Like 1,000hp.

Bro, to mill out the engine block from piece of solid metal is probably 20x the cost of the original OEM part.

And takes something like couple of days to let the automated CNC machine complete the task.

Obviously it is non-commercially viable any manufacturer to incorporate.

Only the siao petrol heads willing to pay after-market for this.

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6th Gear (edited)
On 12/12/2020 at 2:03 PM, Turboflat4 said:

Ok if this comes out with 400hp and a proper manual, I'll choose this over the 400Z.

Same here. The market needs a car like this again. Might be the last pure ICE car I get to buy too.

I just hope not too many fins and wings and canards and fake vents.

Edited by Ake109
  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
17 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

I mean they've had a manual for every gen and very crappy auto trans introduced only lately, so big surprise right. 😁

STI only got MT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)
21 minutes ago, Ake109 said:

Same here. The market needs a car like this again. Might be the last pure ICE car I get to buy too.

I just hope not too many fins and wings and canards and fake vents.

That sounds like Evo😂

Even S208 only got big big wing for NBR package

78202730-7052-4D72-9B5F-15AE24034658.jpeg

6E6484E5-9EFE-498B-BD27-4211A0DBD4A7.jpeg

Edited by inlinesix

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
1 hour ago, inlinesix said:

STI only got MT.

STI A-Line? An abomination but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic (edited)
1 hour ago, Turboflat4 said:

STI A-Line? An abomination but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. 

JDM STI.

VA STI & STI Type S use MT only

MI sells WRX STI in MT with EJ25

Edited by inlinesix
↡ Advertisement

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×