COVID-19: SG to enter Phase 3 from 28th Dec

BabyBlade

Message added by BabyBlade

Phase 2: 

1 hour ago, Weez911 said:

I think transmission within close contact is really inevitable. The key is to prevent transmission to the wider community.

That's why masks and social distancing, with frequent hand washing are important.

At a macro level, the government should really stop issuing all those unnecessary passes for infected people to come in.

We can't afford another phase 1. It will be catastrophic if that happens, with further economic slump, business closures, permanent job losses and taxpayers' money injection. 

From Dec 17 - Jan 16, there are 703 import cases.

Mostly dominated by:

1. Work Permit: 343

2. Citizen: 75

3. PR: 69

==============

Within work permit, it is predominantly maid (197)

==============

Do we need to import so many ppl to work here?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

3 hours ago, bsswan said:

It's not, so far, been imported cases transmitting cases around the community and putting the actual community at risk.

Arrival go straight to quarantine so there should be no cases "let in" and escaping into wider circulation.

The better part now is the government is cutting back on paying medical and quarantine for arrivals so that number should reduce also.

So far, Singapore has been lucky. If you think all exposed workers such as supermarkets, hawker centres, restaurants, delivery drivers etc. are not tested despite human-human interaction and handling of items. The issue will be, once a few cases escape into the community, and if the virus is one of those mutated types, testing is not at a capacity to handle.

Some countries dun need quarantine. Just clear the pap smear test then can go off already.

Who can guarantee they are not in the incubation period when tested?

1 hour ago, Raubern said:

It probably started from the police admin officer. Sick already never see doctor

How can it start from him?

He spontanously evolved into a covid sufferer? 

Someone must have spread it to him too.

Internal Moderator

I think what he meant was the administrative officer and his family allowed this to form into a cluster because they were ill with very obvious symptoms such as fever, loss of taste but did not visit a doctor. The transmission chain would have ended with them if they did what the para vet did below. 

According to MOH, the para-vet developed a fever on Jan 11 and visited a general practitioner clinic on the same day, where he was tested for COVID-19 as part of enhanced community testing.

It's one thing to brush off runny nose and sneezing as sinus and allergy and also diarrhea (could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome IBS sufferer) but I think when it's fever, sore throat, cough and LOSS OF TASTE (This one already self-explanatory) then please go see a doctor. Especially so if you seldom have runny nose, seldom fall sick then I think these abnormalities should be a good call to get to the doctor's asap. 

• Praise 6

32 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Everyone wearing of mask really help to stop of spreading of virus even for the common flu and cough. Usually we might fall sick when we have contract with people outside.

This is very true. I don't have the statistics but I'm pretty sure the number of outpatient consultation for flu and other viral related illness has dropped last year due to the masking, social distancing and sanitization effort.

Personally after this pandemic passes, I will continue to wear mask especially in crowded areas and when I am travelling.  

• Praise 2

42 minutes ago, Weez911 said:

This is very true. I don't have the statistics but I'm pretty sure the number of outpatient consultation for flu and other viral related illness has dropped last year due to the masking, social distancing and sanitization effort.

Personally after this pandemic passes, I will continue to wear mask especially in crowded areas and when I am travelling.  

Agreed, i shall also continue to wear a mask in crowded areas and taking public transport even no more covid. This would reduce my chance of falling sick.

• Praise 3

1 hour ago, BabyBlade said:

And also what about sinus sufferers and those with allergies? Symptoms may include runny nose, sneezing. What would you recommend us to do? How would doctors usually treat such cases? I don't think they'll swab you each time you go to the clinic but then again just because you have sinus doesn't mean you're immune from COVID. The dilemma. 

I heard about a kid attending new sch. He has morning sinus but teacher still send him to doctor due to uncertainty. The mom has to inform the doctor about the sinus condition. Still swab to confirm due to first visit. The doctor then wrote a memo telling the teacher to stop sending the poor kid to doctor if there's no other symptoms other than running nose. 

Supercharged
46 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Agreed, i shall also continue to wear a mask in crowded areas and taking public transport even no more covid. This would reduce my chance of falling sick.

That's a good practice. With that, the best chance a virus can get to you would probably be when you're having meals at a public place where there're strangers doing the same nearby.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
48 minutes ago, Jellandross said:

I heard about a kid attending new sch. He has morning sinus but teacher still send him to doctor due to uncertainty. The mom has to inform the doctor about the sinus condition. Still swab to confirm due to first visit. The doctor then wrote a memo telling the teacher to stop sending the poor kid to doctor if there's no other symptoms other than running nose. 

I have a friend working at a school and she shared with me her personal experiences. 1. Parents sending their kids to school even when kids unwell. This was pre-circuit breaker period, when cases were on the rise in Singapore and we had confirmed cases popping up in childcare centers & schools. The teacher got the mum to pick the kid up but parents brought the kids back the next day. During Circuit Breaker, both parents WFH but still brought the two kids (siblings) to school because they couldn't stand the kids at home. In the end poor teachers had to go back to school to take care. If you wanna have a kid at least have the responsibility to care for your own child and not dump it to the poor teachers.

• Praise 4

1 hour ago, Didu said:

That's a good practice. With that, the best chance a virus can get to you would probably be when you're having meals at a public place where there're strangers doing the same nearby.

Ya lo, eating at public place really risky as anytime can expose myself to any virus. Esp if share table with strangers. But difficult to avoid la.

• Haha! 1

56 minutes ago, BabyBlade said:

I have a friend working at a school and she shared with me her personal experiences. 1. Parents sending their kids to school even when kids unwell. This was pre-circuit breaker period, when cases were on the rise in Singapore and we had confirmed cases popping up in childcare centers & schools. The teacher got the mum to pick the kid up but parents brought the kids back the next day. During Circuit Breaker, both parents WFH but still brought the two kids (siblings) to school because they couldn't stand the kids at home. In the end poor teachers had to go back to school to take care. If you wanna have a kid at least have the responsibility to care for your own child and not dump it to the poor teachers.

Difficult esp nowadays parents both are working and busy with meeting and work in their company. So where got time for kids during office hours? [sweatdrop] So most parents now have to send their kids to childcare centre, pre school etc, even their kids are sick. Unless they have their own parents or parent-in-law to help. [rolleyes]

4 hours ago, Raubern said:

It probably started from the police admin officer. Sick already never see doctor

If that is true, probably have to make changes to the law where during this covid period, if you are sick and dont see the doctor, you are liable to a fine from 5000 to 10 000.

• Praise 2

21 minutes ago, Sdf4786k said:

If that is true, probably have to make changes to the law where during this covid period, if you are sick and dont see the doctor, you are liable to a fine from 5000 to 10 000.

You can't. 

Unless you make the medical fee free (since you are making the law to cover everyone, medical care must be affordable to everyone, including those unemployed).  Even making it $10 all inclusive might not be useful for those really poor but not qualified for public assistance.

Make it against to law to base appraisal/ fire anyone on MC.  While employers might try to be funny, if employees can successfully counter sue, the employer should be charged in court.

And of course, can medical facilities cope? If everyone went to see doctor religiously, there might end up there being a cluster formed.

I remember many years ago, there was this green earth initiative where singaporeans were urged to take public transport for a day and leave their cars at home.  One day after this announcement, there was another announcement that it's ok to drive to work because if really every or most singaporeans took public transport, the public transport system would collapse.

• Praise 1

Internal Moderator
43 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Difficult esp nowadays parents both are working and busy with meeting and work in their company. So where got time for kids during office hours? [sweatdrop] So most parents now have to send their kids to childcare centre, pre school etc, even their kids are sick. Unless they have their own parents or parent-in-law to help. [rolleyes]

I'm sure everyone also got their own commitments and struggles. But can you imagine a sick child infecting all the other children in school because as a parent your work comes first? One sick child may infect the teacher(s)/student(s) and then we have another cluster. There's no other way around this. If your child is sick, do not bring your child to school. 

• Praise 1

6 hours ago, Adrianli said:

Most of us with such mild symptoms will usually self-medicate. Until the illness brings us down with fever or cannot get up on the bed then see doctor. 

I think most people will brush it off and try to rest, self-medicate. If want to try this, at least, please self-isolate as well, for goodness sake. Then at least if later turn out suay suay positive, there will not be a cluster.

↡ Advertisement