COVID-19: SG to enter Phase 3 from 28th Dec

BabyBlade

Message added by BabyBlade

Phase 2: 

Hypersonic
3 hours ago, Flying_genie said:

Shangri-La dialogue (in June) and WEF (in Aug) won't be called off for sure. It is a high publicity event for our political leaders. Gives them high visibility.
The scariest part? Both will include many Indian delegates!   
:scared:

Another meeting in Nov.

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/politics/bloomberg-new-economy-forum-will-be-held-in-singapore-in-november-teslas-elon

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 2

Hypersonic
57 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Shopping at JEM now. This fella walked up to me and stood shoulder to shoulder. I was already slightly more than 1m away from the next guy but he just chugged in between.

"HEY! Don't stand so close can or not?" I hissed at him.

He walked away.

That is why India is breaking global records with daily highs.

Now with the rural areas affected, they will surely hit 500k a day.

How to fight this virus?

Bro, u keep attracting old auntie or man sticking up close to you. 🤣

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
5 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

MCF reference is joking and I think it is a BIG mistake by the government. 

I am all for closing borders to India and surroundings, plus higher risk countries in South east Asia. But places like Japan, Korea, USA, Europe needs to be kept open.... the work passes people coming from these places are very few but high value added. Low risk, big benefit.

I take umbrage at the MCF joke.

MCF owned by SPH, must take it seriously.

• Haha! 8

18 minutes ago, Wind30 said:

not say mcf win.

even uncle like me sit in kopitiam and talk , we know something is wrong if every day got double digit of incoming case.

in fact past few mths got alot of good sign, our local case keep to very low.

only the incoming case keep rising. this is despite the new indian varient coming in, 

this is unaccetable 

i rely on ft also, i give them very clear cut info, this period cannot go home, u go back i not going to apply permit for u to reenter. 

• Praise 6

In chasing zero Covid-19 infections, Hong Kong, Singapore, Australia and others have become trapped by their own success.

-   As more transmissible variants emerge, places with very low infection levels must consider ever more stringent controls to maintain the status quo.

-   A reluctance to accept the virus will become endemic and populations that see no urgency in getting vaccinated mean the early victors may be the last to reopen.

In places that have been successful in suppressing Covid-19, such as mainland China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand and Singapore, there seems to be a reluctance to accept that the disease will become endemic. The coronavirus variants that are emerging are more transmissible, so to achieve zero or close to zero infections in these places, health authorities say virus control measures must be more stringent than before. 

This is neither wise nor tenable for much longer.

With highly effective vaccines available, health authorities in these places should be focused on rolling out mass vaccination quickly so as to achieve a degree of herd immunity. This would allow them to return to normality even if the virus continues to circulate at low levels, without overwhelming the health-care system.

The irony is that due to their successful suppression of Covid-19, these places are now finding it hard to roll out vaccinations quickly. With the threat of Covid-19 having mostly receded, their populations see less incentive to get jabbed.

There are a variety of reasons why these governments also often find it hard to accept that the virus will , eventually, circulate in their populations.

First, they have expended significant resources and effort in suppressing Covid-19. The ‘sunk cost bias’ means these governments do not want to feel their previous efforts have been wasted; they are therefore more likely to persist with harsh suppression to maintain or achieve zero new cases than to accept, or adapt to, Covid-19 becoming endemic.

Second, governments are loss averse: they care more about avoiding losses than pursuing gains. In places where new cases are down to very low numbers, even one new case is considered a loss (hence, mainland China’s obsession with zero infections). Opening up the economy is viewed as a gain that is weighted much less. Related to this is that decision-makers have a diminishing sensitivity to ever larger losses. As economic losses mount, decision-makers may have become insensitive to them. But in the places that have had zero (or close to zero) cases, even a handful of new cases is viewed as unacceptable.

Third, there is the ‘status quo bias’. Now that suppression is the status quo in these places, it is very risky for officials to propose anything but a maintenance of, or quick reversion to, stringent measures whenever there is a spike in cases. If they fail to do this and the subsequent surge in cases reveals they had erred, they would be punished by an unforgiving public. Meanwhile, sticking to the status quo is virtually risk-free: even if they are found later to have been too risk-averse and should have loosened the restrictions earlier, no one is punished for excessive conservatism.

........ SCMP.

I read a similar view written in a UK a few months ago but it is interesting to see it now in Hong Kong, written in a very good manner this time, except as a way to persuade more there to be vaccinated. We will never open up on a Zero-Case basis/target! We have to live on the principle of Zero-Hospitalised basis/target as being advanced by WHO where vaccination and herd immunity are vital, the same as for flu. We MUST accept seeing case numbers so long as nobody, or a very small number, ends up in hospital to a point the system creeks. If governments cannot persuade its population to change their mindset of zero-case, inherently the country is doomed to be cut off and isolated.

For Australia to recently declare their borders may be closed until later in 2022 is proof.

Europe and the US will have a far sooner economic, cultural, lifestyle revival than any country chasing zero-case and, unfortunately the article is correct, it includes us. The government needs to start changing its message to take advantage of a vaccinated populous and allow for case numbers to go higher as symptomatic cases reduce in the same way we have seen in Israel, the UK and now reducing numbers in the US also.

• Praise 3

14 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

I tink he emits cpf rich and reached aroma...😁

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 2

20 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Boh pian ahh bro.

Born yan dao is like that one.

• Haha! 5

Supersonic
23 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

Boh pian ahh bro.

Born yan dao is like that one.

If born yan dao, thought should attract chio bu and xmm le? 😅

• Haha! 2

1 minute ago, 13177 said:

Every flower for every pair of eyes mah 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Supersonic
(edited)
1 hour ago, Wind30 said:

https://www.mom.gov.sg/newsroom/press-releases/2021/0705-work-pass-holders-who-have-already-obtained-approval-to-enter-to-be-rescheduled

.... MCF wins.

Government actually restricted all work pass holders from EVERYWHERE except a few countries. Even pre approved work passes are not allowed to enter and have to be rescheduled... It applies to so many countries like Korea, Japan, USA, All of Europe. wow this is huge... and a bit insane.

Do we really have that many cases? 

Our views does not represent mcf. Nor can MCF represent any of us.

We are merely a small group of old retiree/retrenched/coffee shop uncle and auntie posting individual opinion on a shared public forum (mcf). 

We only have one thing in common. Singaporean. 😄

Edited by Kopites
  • Praise 6

(edited)
32 minutes ago, Mason016 said:

Linkie broken leh 

another Sovereign  in mrt refuse to wear mask .

hope he can be id trace and deal with.

some 1 pass him a mask he still refuse to wear.

Edited by Beregond
  • Shocked 1

Supersonic
2 hours ago, Count-Bracula said:

Shopping at JEM now. This fella walked up to me and stood shoulder to shoulder. I was already slightly more than 1m away from the next guy but he just chugged in between.

"HEY! Don't stand so close can or not?" I hissed at him.

He walked away.

All shopping centres need to play this at full volume. 😁

• Haha! 4

Hypersonic
59 minutes ago, 13177 said:

The hard truth....hahaha.

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1