Large screw punctures man's motorcycle tyre along TPE -- a month after he paid $650 to change it

kobayashiGT

Internal Moderator

Large screw punctures man's motorcycle tyre along TPE -- a month after he paid $650 to change it

source: https://stomp.straitstimes.com/singapore-seen/large-screw-punctures-mans-motorcycle-tyre-along-tpe-a-month-after-he-paid-650-to

tyre_cover.jpg

A man was excited to have smoother, faster rides on his motorcycle after he paid $650 for a new rear tyre in early Nov.

But his smooth ride was cut short when he heard a loud 'bang' and what he described to be 'clunking sounds' while travelling along the Tampines Expressway (TPE).

Turns out, he rode onto a screw and his new tyre was punctured.

The man, who wanted to be known as Stomper Arikamer, said the incident happened on Monday (Dec 7) at 7.45am.

img_20201207_072308487_2.jpg

Photos that he sent show a large screw embedded in the rear tyre of Arikamer's motorcycle.

"I was riding happily along the TPE towards Changi just before the Lorong Halus exit when I suddenly heard a loud bang," Arikamer said.

"Then, there were continuous clunking sounds and the ride became bumpy.

"Thankfully, the tyre didn't burst and I was able to ride about 500m to the nearest bridge.

"I stopped at the side, just under the bridge and saw a huge screw in my rear tyre.

"I'm so unlucky! I just changed my rear tyre a month ago, and I paid $650 for that new tyre to make it fit perfectly with my Harley Davidson Sportster model."

Arikamer added that he quickly called a tow service, and had his motorcycle towed to a repair shop in Kaki Bukit.

"In the end, I had to change my new $650 tyre because it was too dangerous for me to just leave it. I forked out another $500 for the new tyre," he said.

"I was so angry at first because it's a lot of money. But I'm also relieved I wasn't injured.

"Just wanted to remind other motorcyclists to be careful while riding on the roads, especially on the expressways.

"There may be screws or other obstacles in your way, so please avoid them."

Woah. this one how did the nut goes in one?

And btw, I didn't know harley daivdson got manufacture tyres. they should still to motorbikes. 😂

↡ Advertisement
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Motorcycle parts are mostly expensive than cars. 

+ for tyre change, valve pip will not be automatically changed for you unless you ask for it and you need to pay $10 for it. For cars, it's FOC.

Edited by Kangadrool
  • Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

how come the first tyre change is $650 but the replacement tyre change only $500?

change to cheaper tyre? or tyre shop pity him and drop price (in which case the profit margin on the first tyre change was rather high .. )

7 minutes ago, Mooose said:

how come the first tyre change is $650 but the replacement tyre change only $500?

change to cheaper tyre? or tyre shop pity him and drop price (in which case the profit margin on the first tyre change was rather high .. )

1 mth 1k + for tyre. the motor shop pang chance la . 😁

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Screws on road sometimes difficult to avoid, cause you cant even see them from far. Some expressway more prone to have screws etc on the road, esp when there are more heavy vehicles plying on that road.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Count-Bracula said:

The bolt was standing upright on the road? 

dun need be upright to go in  the tyre hit the bolt, it flip up , zhun zhun at the correct angle it go in liao

• Praise 2

This is nothing man, next to my suburb, there's a serial tyre slasher lurking.. target at least 50 cars on the street, even after the owners changed their tires, it'll be slashed again.. imagine this..

And expectedly, the perpetrator never get caught..

• Shocked 5

1) Why moto tyres so ex? Cars ones $200 also i consider ex liao...

2) how come kanna rear tyre and not front? The front tyre should have crossed the same part of the tarmac before the rear tyre touched it... unless he turned sharply on TPE...? Cannot be he gos-tan on TPE right?

• Haha! 1

motorcycle tires are more expensive than car tires generally, economies of scale I guess

but not at $650 per tire for that Dunlop GT502 

472453250_dunlopgt502.thumb.png.9118fb4575d2c37e7840a8f4325bcf74.png

• Praise 1
  • Shocked 1

Looking at position of screw penetration rider must be doing a fierce right corning when screw pierce in luckily never Buang.

↡ Advertisement