Issue with fuel pumping

Saj

My Avante 1.6 (2008 model) has been great and no major issues so far. However, it gives me headache when each time I go to petrol station. As shown in the pic, the white color plastic sleeve inside the fuel pump is sunken (moved inside) over the years. Therefore, need to pump petrol manually. Meaning we cannot lock the nozzle and let the tank fill automatically. Instead have to manually half-press the fuel nozzle handle and hold it to slowly fill the tank. It takes almost 12-15min to fill the tank fully. This is very troublesome. The technician in the workshop pulled the plastic sleeve up a bit, but next day it went back again. Anyone has seen similar issue before and managed to fix?

Fuel Pump.jpg

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

This is the first time I've seen Koro on a car. 😂😂😂

Kor-ean car some more. 🤣🤣🤣

Edited by Turboflat4

1 hour ago, Saj said:

My Avante 1.6 (2008 model) has been great and no major issues so far. However, it gives me headache when each time I go to petrol station. As shown in the pic, the white color plastic sleeve inside the fuel pump is sunken (moved inside) over the years. Therefore, need to pump petrol manually. Meaning we cannot lock the nozzle and let the tank fill automatically. Instead have to manually half-press the fuel nozzle handle and hold it to slowly fill the tank. It takes almost 12-15min to fill the tank fully. This is very troublesome. The technician in the workshop pulled the plastic sleeve up a bit, but next day it went back again. Anyone has seen similar issue before and managed to fix?

sorry, i am trying to understand the issue .. 

because of the movement of the piece you say that you cannot lock the nozzle and let the tank fill automatically, but you can manually half press the nozzle handle and fill ..

are they not separate?

lock the nozzle need not be full - can lock half way too if i remember correctly - why not press half and lock and let the tank fill automatically?

or still cannot? if cannot then how do you manually press half and fill? locking mechanism is on the filler nozzle and not your fuel tank ..

anyway doesnt seem like a big problem - car is 12 years old, if you intend to keep it till 20 and it irritates you i am sure there is a way to fix it - just a question of how much it costs otherwise if too expensive, then just live with it,

3 hours ago, Saj said:

Fuel Pump.jpg

IMHO.

IIRC, the amount of petrol can be preset.  
If you pump 3/4 tank base on the fuel gauge marking, it should not be an issue.
E.g. when the fuel gauge reach 1/4 mark,  you pump $x of petrol. 

While auto-stop works most of the time for me,  there are instances it will fail.

What TS wants is to go hands-free. Like this.

fuel-nozzle.jpg

But because the plastic nozzle seat had sunken in hence he has to hold the nozzle when refueling.

Whoa piangz. Is that really so difficult to understand?

Forgive these ppl, perhaps some have never in their driving life touch the refueling nozzle before.

Anyway I thought pump attendant does it for you. Why worry?

Edited by Watwheels
  • Praise 2
  • Haha! 2

5 hours ago, Saj said:

Fuel Pump.jpg

need to find some photo of original condition, then I think only the bro can understand and help. 

19 hours ago, Mooose said:

sorry, i am trying to understand the issue .. 

because of the movement of the piece you say that you cannot lock the nozzle and let the tank fill automatically, but you can manually half press the nozzle handle and fill ..

are they not separate?

lock the nozzle need not be full - can lock half way too if i remember correctly - why not press half and lock and let the tank fill automatically?

or still cannot? if cannot then how do you manually press half and fill? locking mechanism is on the filler nozzle and not your fuel tank ..

anyway doesnt seem like a big problem - car is 12 years old, if you intend to keep it till 20 and it irritates you i am sure there is a way to fix it - just a question of how much it costs otherwise if too expensive, then just live with it,

Even the lowest notch of the refilling nozzle does not work as the refilling stops in a second. That's the reason I have to manually press slightly and keep holding it for 12-15min. That's painful. It's hard to find the 'sweet spot' as the refilling keep stopping and you have to adjust the nozzle is different angles and adjust the manual pressure trial and error because each nozzle behaves differently. You need to try this to understand how trouble this is. I pump 3 full tanks per week (stared Private Hire recently). That means spending nearly 45min at the pump holding the nozzle! 

Yes, the cars is 12 years old, but it looks and works like a 5 year old car without any fuss and just 65K millage 🙂 and intend to use it for many more years. My current work shop has never experienced this type of issue before. Komoco is asking $75 for just to check (not sure how much for fixing). Pump attendants say this is a common issue. I was hoping someone in this forum may have experienced this before.

17 hours ago, Watwheels said:

What TS wants is to go hands-free. Like this.

fuel-nozzle.jpg

But because the plastic nozzle seat had sunken in hence he has to hold the nozzle when refueling.

Whoa piangz. Is that really so difficult to understand?

Forgive these ppl, perhaps some have never in their driving life touch the refueling nozzle before.

Anyway I thought pump attendant does it for you. Why worry?

Most pump attendants hate this as the refilling stops several times automatically during the process and they have to re-adjust and keep pressing half-way. When they are too frustrated, I  would volunteer to take over. So far I have seen only 2 attendants who have the patience to pump without complaining 🙂

18 hours ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.

IIRC, the amount of petrol can be preset.  
If you pump 3/4 tank base on the fuel gauge marking, it should not be an issue.
E.g. when the fuel gauge reach 1/4 mark,  you pump $x of petrol. 

While auto-stop works most of the time for me,  there are instances it will fail.

I think you didn't quite get the issue here. Even with an empty tank, the issue starts the moment you enter the nozzle. Press the lever - pumping stops in 2 seconds or sometimes petrol throws out.

21 hours ago, Watwheels said:

Where is the seat suppose to be? At the entry?

Something must have gave way and went in there. 

Just hold the refueling nozzle lo. What to do?

The sleeve supposed to be at the entry, I guess. Probably the screw that holds it in the position has given away or something. It is not just holding the nozzle. But also pressing the leaver at the right 'sweet spot', exerting right pressure and each time the pumping stops, re-adjusting and keep trying 😞

↡ Advertisement