Singapore hawker culture listed as UNESCO intangible cultural heritage

Ysc3

Singapore’s hawker culture was officially approved on Wednesday (16 December) to be inscribed into UNESCO’s list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity.The 24-member inter-governmental committee (IGC) made its decision during an online meeting, following a recommendation from a 12-member evaluation body last month.

“Singapore is tremendously honoured to have our hawker culture as our very first inscription on the UNESCO representative list of the Intangible Cultural Heritage of Humanity,” said Edwin Tong, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, in a video shown at the meeting after Singapore got the committee’s approval.

“Hawker culture is a source of pride for Singapore. It reflects our living heritage and multiculturalism and is an integral part of the daily lives of everyone in Singapore, regardless of age, race, or background.

“The journey doesn’t end here. We will continue to recognise and celebrate the knowledge and cultural practices of the hawker trade, and ensure that future generations of Singaporeans can continue to appreciate, enjoy and cherish our hawker culture.”

The expert panel had assessed Singapore’s hawker culture to have fulfilled all the criteria listed by the IGC. Furthermore, it commended Singapore for nominating a cultural heritage element that is thriving in a highly urbanised and culturally diverse environment, as well as for developing safeguarding measures that effectively foster dialogue, creativity and sustainability of hawker culture.

It also commended the Republic for devising creative ways to encourage the community to participate in the nomination process from the outset.

The nomination was also cited as a positive example for its “celebration of intangible cultural heritage, diversity, dialogue and sustainability”.

There were 42 submissions in this year's bid for inclusion into UNESCO’s list. These include mechanical watchmaking by Switzerland and France, Budima dance by Zambia and tree beekeeping culture by Poland and Belarus.

Among these, 25 were recommended to be inscribed on the official intangible cultural heritage of humanity list, including Singapore's bid. There are currently 463 items in UNESCO’s list of intangible cultural heritage of humanity.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 5

I am always supporter for hawker center food.

Singapore hawker culture listed as UNESCO intangible cultural heritage

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/singapore/singapore-hawker-culture-unesco-intangible-cultural-heritage-13784522

SINGAPORE: It’s official - Singapore hawker culture is now on the UNESCO Intangible Cultural Heritage list, joining the likes of French cuisine, Thai massage and yoga.

The listing was made official at the 15th session Intergovernmental Committee for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage held in Paris this week.

The inscription on Wednesday (Dec 16) comes two years after the intention to nominate hawker culture for the UNESCO list was announced at the 2018 National Day Rally. The nomination documents were submitted to UNESCO in March last year.

There are more than 400 items on the Representative list of Intangible Cultural Heritage of humanity.

Edited by Tohto
  • Praise 4

Do yours know how much money needed to maintain an UNESCO heritage? Just curious.

Unesco or no unesco just don't increase my fish ball noddle dry pricing will do.

I have had enough with the michelin. 

• Praise 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 4

I would rather have a  clean and tidy dinning environment, look at the condition of our food center,  crockeries  , used  tissues are left on the tables, tables left uncleaned etc,  there are more to be done. 

Edited by Ct3833
  • Praise 5

4 minutes ago, Ct3833 said:

I would rather have a  clean and tidy dinning environment, look at the condition of our food center,  crockeries  , used  tissues are left on the tables, tables left uncleaned etc,  there are more to be done. 

I is steady people

i Eat finish one, sure machiam clean table

• Praise 3
  • Haha! 4

1 hour ago, Ct3833 said:

It's about our own personal culture. Most of the time, it's not about the cleaning personnel etc. 

Anyway tray return is an incredibly unpopular move. Yishun Park HC has essentially abandoned it. Total failure. And i can understand why.

• Praise 4

5 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

It's about our own personal culture. Most of the time, it's not about the cleaning personnel etc. 

Anyway tray return is an incredibly unpopular move. Yishun Park HC has essentially abandoned it. Total failure. And i can understand why.

The one dollar coin return for the tray is plan.. Speechless.. What people want? So troublesome is it what people want? When it become troublesome even if it means extra few steps, it has higher chance of failure. 

1 hour ago, Mustank said:

I is steady people

i Eat finish one, sure machiam clean table

Yup.... No one else to blame... Except for the consumers themselves. 

I also return my used crockery and trays when possible. If there is a bin nearby,  I will also dispose of the used tissues there. Personally I don't like to throw tissues in the crockery. 

• Praise 4

11 hours ago, Kopites said:

So will my hawker food price increase?😟

It already has despite all the relief they have been getting.  Normal hawker food is gravitating towards $5 a bowl at hawker centers. $3 is totally a thing of the past. $3.50 will go in no time. $4 to $4.50 is the standard today. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

The one dollar coin return for the tray is plan.. Speechless.. What people want? So troublesome is it what people want? When it become troublesome even if it means extra few steps, it has higher chance of failure. 

They changed it to 50 cents later on. Then after that it's all but stopped.
I was quite ok with returning the tray if i go eat alone. But my wife condemned it from the start when she went with my kids.

Anyway. Hawker centers in the suburbs are different from CBD or those lunch crowd at business parks. Cos the demographics is different. U got lot of elderly. Lot of housewives with kids. Lot of people carrying barang barang.
The concept of tray returns ONLY work for the CBD where the lunch crowd is just carrying phone or a small tote bag. Try carrying trays with a few plastic bags/umbrella. 

Anyway the culture here is just leave it at the table. I don't think it would have translated anyway.

Edited by Lala81

8 minutes ago, Yewheng said:

All these are failures.  Real graciousness comes with true education.  We need another 200 yrs as a nation to achieve that at least. 

• Praise 4
  • Haha! 1

2 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

Real graciousness comes with true education. 

[thumbsup] education is the 1 true path.

all the rules and laws and system only work to a certain extent.........

6 minutes ago, Throttle2 said:

It already has despite all the relief they have been getting.  Normal hawker food is gravitating towards $5 a bowl at hawker centers. $3 is totally a thing of the past. $3.50 will go in no time. $4 to $4.50 is the standard today. 

Upper Boon Keng and Geylang Bahru hawker still got a lot of $3.

Even Chicken rice is $3.

22 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

Agree, not the cleaner , it is the entire eco system and culture.  

Just now, inlinesix said:

Upper Boon Keng and Geylang Bahru hawker still got a lot of $3.

Even Chicken rice is $3.

Sure but they are the minority now...And i aint gonna travel there just to buy hawker food

↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1