SIM Only Mobile Plans Discussion

Blueray

39 minutes ago, BoneStock said:

@Fcw75  I renewed my 1Gbps with M1 with 3 months free.  will consider to downgrade to 500 next

So good they give you 3 months free when you renewed with them? I never get any free months when i renewed with them le.

↡ Advertisement

6 minutes ago, Blueray said:

am on singtel fibre, comes with free digital land line and mioTV box. mioTV box has the free to air channels and sometimes free previews during PHs.

i opted for the cheapest $29.90 plan long ago and been there since. 

$29.90 is 500Mps?

3 minutes ago, Kopites said:

It won't make any different unless you are into those online gaming probably 1gbs help.

I am on m1 500 for more than 5,6 years. 

Nowadays with dual bands one can always select 5.0. I am using 5.0 for sport steaming, TV and some other smart home gadgets. No issues at all. 

Looks like not much difference between 500Mps and 1Gbs esp if not into gaming?! Think no point paying $10 more, most probably i will downgrade to 500Mps for my next renewal. Save some money. Lol.

4 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Looks like not much difference between 500Mps and 1Gbs esp if not into gaming?! Think no point paying $10 more, most probably i will downgrade to 500Mps for my next renewal. Save some money. Lol.

You are still using zero right?

Remembered that line come with unlimited data after 6gbs. 😁

No issue for streaming, YouTube if there is a need.  

Edited by Kopites
  • Haha! 1

The difference between 500mps and 1 gps depends on how you use. If you are a frequent user of Speed Test, advise to go for 1gps. More satisfying to see the numbers from it 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 4

5 minutes ago, 13177 said:

$29.90 is 500Mps?

i think so. dunno. 

when I signed was 300Mbps, then when Singtel discontinued that package I got auto upgraded, and have been upgraded 1 or 2 times.

so I am now at 500Mbps or maybe even 1G. [:p]

• Praise 1

9 minutes ago, 13177 said:

So good they give you 3 months free when you renewed with them? I never get any free months when i renewed with them le.

yeah actually i was helping my MIL to sign up a new 500Mbps with them then they told me mine can also renewed and they give 3 months free.  So i went for it.

Actually my previous contract expired in Aug but they allowed early renewal in May.

• Praise 1

26 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Really? I could get 700-800 at home with M1 1G plan and with wifi 6, it should be possible to go even higher (provided u have the right equipment and devices).

Mod said I am using stone age equipment

Fastest is 56k dial up 🙊🙉🙈

• Haha! 2

16 minutes ago, Kopites said:

You are still using zero right?

Remembered that line come with unlimited data after 6gbs. 😁

No issue for streaming, YouTube if there is a need.  

Still using zero. Actually i cannot even finish the given 6GB.

20 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I am not into gaming but there is a diff between 500 and 1G, even for normal surfing. Just to share, I have been on 1G plan for years but only benefited from it after I changed all the cables (bought at speciality cable shop at Sim Lim) connecting my routers to modem, etc. It was visibility faster.  So equipment is important to benefit from a faster plan.

Having said that, most people can live with speed of 300-400.

• Praise 1

8 minutes ago, Inlinefour said:

Mod said I am using stone age equipment

Fastest is 56k dial up 🙊🙉🙈

You on M1?

One trick is to get a one to one modem replacement (upgrade from stone age modem) with M1. FOC

I have done so few month back. The technical guy came and changed out my stone age modem with their latest modem(black to white colour).😁

Just be "street smart" on how you interact with the M1 technical hotline. 😁

30 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

I am not into gaming but there is a diff between 500 and 1G, even for normal surfing. Just to share, I have been on 1G plan for years but only benefited from it after I changed all the cables (bought at speciality cable shop at Sim Lim) connecting my routers to modem, etc. It was visibility faster.  So equipment is important to benefit from a faster plan.

Ermm.. if u change from 500mbps to 1gbps but didn't feel the diff till u changed cables, perhaps u would also experience the same speed increase if u had remained on 500mbps.

But if u had upgraded the cables while on 500mbps and didn't feel the difference till u upgrade to 1gbps, then u would be right that the 500mbps was your bottleneck.

Actually we came from the time of dial up/6 -10mbps ADSL/max 50mbps starhub cable.

500mbps is still way better than what i ever need. And most of us aren't even downloading blurays etc anymore.

What u need for streaming is negligble.

I will always get whatever is the lowest fibre plan. 

Edited by Lala81
  • Praise 2

47 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

U were using Cat 5 cables then. not Cat 5e/6.

I have a wifi 6 router at home. But I think i only get 200mbps on speedtest. Doesn't really bother me though. I'm more irritated when the router every few weeks need a reboot. But i don't really want to spend another couple hundred bucks to change the whole system.

my MBR toilet and service yard are also relative dead zones even with 3 node setup (concrete wall and no LOS sibei hard to penetrate). But with 4g network being strong, just use my phones there. It's not like we are using laptops in those areas lol.

Edited by Lala81

34 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

U were using Cat 5 cables then. not Cat 5e/6.

I have a wifi 6 router at home. But I think i only get 200mbps on speedtest. Doesn't really bother me though. I'm more irritated when the router every few weeks need a reboot. But i don't really want to spend another couple hundred bucks to change the whole system.

my MBR toilet and service yard are also relative dead zones even with 3 node setup (concrete wall and no LOS sibei hard to penetrate). But with 4g network being strong, just use my phones there. It's not like we are using laptops in those areas lol.

Hope i was on 5E/6 LAN cable, the bottleneck was the cable connecting the modem to OTP (terminal point) and the cable from my modem to router.

I used generic cables, they are really f. up. Swap them out ASAP, otherwise just pay for the lowest plan.

Edited by Voodooman

4 minutes ago, Voodooman said:

Hope i was on 5E/6 LAN cable, the bottleneck was the cable connecting the modem to OTP (terminal point) and the cable from my modem to router.

I used generic cables, they are really f. up. Swap them out ASAP, otherwise just pay for the lowest plan.

it's pretty normal. lan cables last a long while, some of them are around since my uni years. I only removed the Cat 5 cables from my network after i specially bought new ones last year when i moved home. LOL

Edited by Lala81

3 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

it's pretty normal. lan cables last a long while, some of them are around since my uni years. I only removed the Cat 5 cables from my network after i specially bought new ones last year when i moved home. LOL

Beware of those cables you buy at DIY shop advertising it is 5E or 6 cables. Buy from hifi shop, they sell it by the meters, those are the real McCoy.

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1