SIM Only Mobile Plans Discussion

Blueray

34 minutes ago, Kopites said:

I still have one land line number with singtel since 1980s. 😁 No one using anyway. Merely paying quarterly subscription.. sentimental and still contemplating wether to disconnect. 

surprised your house phone line can even survive that long. 

by the time my parents stopped using landline maybe 7-8 years ago, only 1-2 of the RJ45 ports in the home can work. My parents flat was bought in 1985.

Edited by Lala81
↡ Advertisement

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

I still have one land line number with singtel since 1980s. 😁 No one using anyway. Merely paying quarterly subscription.. sentimental and still contemplating wether to disconnect. 

I always have the impression that if a house has a landline from Singtel, usually there are elderly staying in that house, cause they have got used to using landline to communiate to the outside world.

For youngsters, there will have a so called 'landline' that is given by the telco when subscribe to home broadband service. But some people also never connect the line with a phone also. Lol.

• Praise 1

38 minutes ago, Lala81 said:

surprised your house phone line can even survive that long. 

by the time my parents stopped using landline maybe 7-8 years ago, only 1-2 of the RJ45 ports in the home can work. My parents flat was bought in 1985.

What is RJ45? Over the years due to various renovation and relocation we did contracted the Singtel to relay the land line. 

We retained the number and the laneline is at my mum place now. I am paying for it. 😁 Anyway recent years she hardly has any calls to the landline. 

Just now, Kopites said:

What is RJ45? Over the years due to various renovation and relocation we did contracted the Singtel to relay the land line. 

We retained the number and the laneline is at my mum place now. I am paying for it. 😁 Anyway recent years she hardly has any calls to the landline. 

as in the telephone line connector port.

My parents place used to have 4 of them. By the time 30 years later. only 1 was working. The telephone wires degraded over the years.

• Praise 1

10 minutes ago, 13177 said:

I always have the impression that if a house has a landline from Singtel, usually there are elderly staying in that house, cause they have got used to using landline to communiate to the outside world.

For youngsters, there will have a so called 'landline' that is given by the telco when subscribe to home broadband service. But some people also never connect the line with a phone also. Lol.

My mum place.

Over the years the landline were mainly used for her oversea calls. Nowaday all called her mobile instead. 😁

• Haha! 1

1 hour ago, Kopites said:

I still have the copper wire land line....Not afraid mobile/fibre network down. 

• Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, Volvobrick said:

I still have the copper wire land line....Not afraid mobile/fibre network down. 

Keep pigeon as pets safest.

• Haha! 2

1 hour ago, Lala81 said:

as in the telephone line connector port.

My parents place used to have 4 of them. By the time 30 years later. only 1 was working. The telephone wires degraded over the years.

that would be RJ11. [laugh]

RJ45 is for ethernet port. 

I used to wire those in my house. But sometimes get rust, corrosion and you get those on the phone line. 

Then I used it to wire doorbell, but now lazy, just use wi-fi doorbell. [laugh]

• Praise 2

PSA: Wrong GST for 2023 bills

Have to check GST on all bills.

Some got charged 8.5% and some got charge 9%.

:D

Maybe Uptron ACL IT programmers.

Edited by Jamesc
  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 1

Recently had a situation where my home would have no broadband for a few days, so decided to try out one of the cheap MVNO plans to tide over.

1. Started with SIMBA 50GB(+free 50GB) $10 plan as it give the most data for lowest price. Good signal strength overall in my AMK flat, but internet speed was pretty slow. I will not be renewing a 2nd month, interestingly the 1st month is over but I still get data.

2. Decided to try a Singtel-network MVNO next, came down to choosing between VIVIFI and Zero1. Since I do not want to pay extra for delivery, the self-collection process is important. VIVIFI self-collection process is quite inconvenient for me, using a pop-up style system I have to choose the right day and time and place. Zero1 self-collection is a clear winner for me, being able to collect at any Singpost branch. Got the Jumbo 60 plan, $12.15/mth for 60GB. Good signal strength and internet speed much better than SIMBA. Now that my home broadband is resolved, I might pass this plan to my domestic helper. I realised her Singtel hi card plans are not particularly cheap!

• Praise 3

9 minutes ago, boonhat_91 said:

Recently had a situation where my home would have no broadband for a few days, so decided to try out one of the cheap MVNO plans to tide over.

1. Started with SIMBA 50GB(+free 50GB) $10 plan as it give the most data for lowest price. Good signal strength overall in my AMK flat, but internet speed was pretty slow. I will not be renewing a 2nd month, interestingly the 1st month is over but I still get data.

2. Decided to try a Singtel-network MVNO next, came down to choosing between VIVIFI and Zero1. Since I do not want to pay extra for delivery, the self-collection process is important. VIVIFI self-collection process is quite inconvenient for me, using a pop-up style system I have to choose the right day and time and place. Zero1 self-collection is a clear winner for me, being able to collect at any Singpost branch. Got the Jumbo 60 plan, $12.15/mth for 60GB. Good signal strength and internet speed much better than SIMBA. Now that my home broadband is resolved, I might pass this plan to my domestic helper. I realised her Singtel hi card plans are not particularly cheap!

You can track your helper usages through the Zero1 app. 

May I ask how did you resolved using SIM data over broadband in a residential setting; security, door, lightings etc.  

21 minutes ago, Kopites said:

You can track your helper usages through the Zero1 app. 

May I ask how did you resolved using SIM data over broadband in a residential setting; security, door, lightings etc.  

Currently only have a few sets of Xiaomi IP camera around the house for cctv. Using the SIM inserted into a spare phone, I tried 1. mobile hotspot and 2. usb-c ethernet adapter to ethernet cable to old router > enable ethernet tethering on the phone. Both methods work, the cameras setup just need to select the correct network name. A bit mafan though, I have to go to each camera and reset it and repeat the setup process.

• Praise 1

Hi, does anyone know for Simba, is it possible to change to a different plan from month to month under the sim account? Been trying to find the info online ehich all pointed to the app but the app is not able to do so.

On 2/3/2023 at 1:01 PM, Kopites said:

still have land line too. paid $100 for a nicer number from telecom when telephone numbers were still 7 numbers.

converted to free digital land line when I re-contracted fibre with Singnet. 

2 hours ago, RadX said:

Anyone has update on changi mobile? How their svc etc

my friend's wife is on it. no issues. but its using M1 network hor, probably the worst coverage among the 3. I just quit M1.

• Praise 3