Michelin tyre from Authorized dealer or pararell importer?

Zack2222

I am thinking of changing my tyres to Michelin Primacy 4 ST. Wondering if anyone have any views on whether to get it from an authorized dealer or parallel importer?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 2

Piggybacking on this in case it's picked up by a tyre merchant sponsor here. I need a fresh set of Michelin PS4S for my M140i but no stock in the usual places. Stock rims. Thanks. 

• Haha! 1

8 hours ago, Turboflat4 said:

Piggybacking on this in case it's picked up by a tyre merchant sponsor here. I need a fresh set of Michelin PS4S for my M140i but no stock in the usual places. Stock rims. Thanks. 

I think only 225/40-18 have PS4s,the Rear 245/35 or 255/35 don't have,only have PS4.

26 minutes ago, Etnt said:

last i checked a couple of months ago, still dun have 225/40R18 for PS4S, only PS4.

Ps4s official import only starts from 19”

Internal Moderator
11 hours ago, Zack2222 said:

I am thinking of changing my tyres to Michelin Primacy 4 ST. Wondering if anyone have any views on whether to get it from an authorized dealer or parallel importer?

To answer your question, we have to know what kind of buyer are you. 

- If you are strictly looking at pricing over assurance, then you can go for PI, not saying they are not good. But if there is a defect, there is no one solving your issue. And usually, because PI tyres are not marketed for the region that they are sold in, for e.g. the PI PS4S is supposed to sell at Europe, but got shipped over here. The compound of the tyres will have a slight modification, where the engineers will want to optimise the tyres the best for the market itself. But generally, it is still a reputable tyre.

- If you are someone that you like fuss-free, then go for AD tyres, the pricing might be quite fixated (usually the discount is base on how you bargain in-store) but you can rest assured that the tyre stock is fresh, properly kept, and it is made for our region weather and temperature. 

If you are looking for a knowledgable tyre shop that sells Michellin, then I will recommend you South East Tyres. That's is my fav tyre shop so far. 🙂 

• Praise 4

2 hours ago, ER-3682 said:

I think only 225/40-18 have PS4s,the Rear 245/35 or 255/35 don't have,only have PS4.

I got it last time for my car, that was a bit over a year ago (in 2019). For sepang. LS tyres. PS4S for all four. 

Now no stock. 

47 minutes ago, kobayashiGT said:

- If you are strictly looking at pricing over assurance, then you can go for PI, not saying they are not good. But if there is a defect, there is no one solving your issue. And usually, because PI tyres are not marketed for the region that they are sold in, for e.g. the PI PS4S is supposed to sell at Europe, but got shipped over here. The compound of the tyres will have a slight modification, where the engineers will want to optimise the tyres the best for the market itself. But generally, it is still a reputable tyre.

- If you are someone that you like fuss-free, then go for AD tyres, the pricing might be quite fixated (usually the discount is base on how you bargain in-store) but you can rest assured that the tyre stock is fresh, properly kept, and it is made for our region weather and temperature. 

If you are looking for a knowledgable tyre shop that sells Michellin, then I will recommend you South East Tyres. That's is my fav tyre shop so far. 🙂 

i take tire warranty with a HUGE pinch of salt. everything is wear and tear or your fault. except for the obvious ones like goodyear F1 where the tire cracked. so i rather take the savings any day than deal with warranty claims.

in the past, the mark up for local agent tires was so high that it was cheaper to air freight in tires from tire rack in USA and pay for local install.

Edited by Mkl22
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1

12 hours ago, Zack2222 said:

i just changed last month. Didn't think about AD vs PI leh... changed when found a good deal... they told me got warranty from manufacturers defects, just keep receipt...

• Praise 5

12 hours ago, Zack2222 said:

Get it at a tyre shop that you are comfortable with.

• Praise 1

29 minutes ago, Atrecord said:

i just changed last month. Didn't think about AD vs PI leh... changed when found a good deal... they told me got warranty from manufacturers defects, just keep receipt...

I don't even keep the receipt.  The shop has the record to check.

• Haha! 1

2 hours ago, kobayashiGT said:

Can you give me South East Tyre HP number so I can WhatsApp them to ask for a quote?

• Praise 1

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

i take tire warranty with a HUGE pinch of salt. everything is wear and tear or your fault. except for the obvious ones like goodyear F1 where the tire cracked. so i rather take the savings any day than deal with warranty claims.

in the past, the mark up for local agent tires was so high that it was cheaper to air freight in tires from tire rack in USA and pay for local install.

Exactly. Doubt there are many who claim warranty. The usual problems are always not covered. Like kena bad puncture, uneven wear

• Praise 2

2 hours ago, Zack2222 said:

Can you give me South East Tyre HP number so I can WhatsApp them to ask for a quote?

i think south east is 1 of the few around that still do internal patching. 

they are flame for their good service more then anything else

• Praise 2

Calculate from a risk / reward basis.

Is the PI price a lot lot lower than AD price?

If its not then don't bother lah.

Save only a bit of money and any problems you settle on your own and out of own pocket.

If the AD is just a bit more then just pay it and have peace of mind as it has manufacturer's warranty.

:grin:

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1