Need Recommendations for a bicycle

therock

Friends, the West Coast green corridor is opening soon and I'm trying to take advantage of it and get a decent bike.

I would like a more lightweight bicycle. I recently acquired a Raleigh R9 MTB, which is supposed to weigh 13kg but feels heavier and it doesn't manoeuvre so well. 

I am hoping to get something lighter and where I sit more upright for some light cycling. I'm no MAMIL! hahah 

A hybrid bike, is fine, folding is a bonus. Budget 500 to a max of 999, but I rather not go so high. I prefer non 2nd hand, but if it's almost new, I'm open. 

Saw a $390 bike at Decathlon - not bad, just a tad heavy... Riverside 500? Something like that but lighter... 

Any ideas? Places to buy / demo? Thanks

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Decathlon has been selling quite a value-for-money folder bike for a while now, around $300+, feels lightweight enough to me. And comes with Shimano gears. Not sure whether it has been superseded by newer models.

• Praise 1

4 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

Decathlon has been selling quite a value-for-money folder bike for a while now, around $300+, feels lightweight enough to me. And comes with Shimano gears. Not sure whether it has been superseded by newer models.

14.5kg.

https://www.decathlon.sg/p/8544671-121694-tilt-120-20quote-folding-bike-red.html?c=10935#/4313-200-one_size_fits_all

• Praise 1

As advised by Bro @Koster , taobao cheaper for better quality bikes..

Who wants to orh kwee nice GB for this bike? CF body n 22 speed.. 

My cina not very good so not sure how to proceed..🙏🏻

30466DC1-FD85-4095-863E-5BB3F42A6D26.jpeg

• Praise 1

Rather than getting a new bike, just ride whatever you have for 6 mths.

If your stamina improves, get something better.

Less than 1 k and less than 10kg is difficult combination 

• Praise 1

Thanks bros for all the feedback thus far.

I had a wonderful foldable before, the Pacific Cycle 700C - bought it as my mid-life crisis buy.. haha. Cost me 3k but it was fast, light and nice to ride.. but it fell into disuse and I sold it a while back.. kind of regretted it...

Then I moved to a place where I have a park nearby so I'm keen to do some cycling. Not those 50-100km rides, but some cycling after work to keep my ticker working.

The r9 will give a workout, but I also want another bike which is lighter so my better half can also go riding. She doesn't like the smaller foldables, and would like something lighter that she can also use. So a 'medium' bike will suit.. oh and I forgot - it should have an adjustable seat height to suit both of us.

The Decathlon bike was nice, except the weight.. I heard there may be a lighter version on the way and that will be interesting.. 

Yes, we want many features and the budget isn't high. I went into a bike store along Pasir Panjang and I felt rather humbled. Nothing there was under 2k... then I went to Rodalink and the sales staff probably felt my budget was too low for them. Besides, the bikes weren't that light either...

I recently saw my 700C for 1.5k and I really feel tempted sometimes.. but that's a lot of money and my main exercise is swimming these days - less impact and strain, but I enjoy a ride or two... so I'm a bit conflicted, and will look around more

Ideally, I find a bike like the one which is out of stock in Decathlon, weighs 11kg, and is a hybrid. But it doesn't have an adjustable seat though and it's not on sale right now:

https://decathlon.com.au/products/triban-100-flat-bar-road-bike-275? 

17 hours ago, therock said:

Friends, the West Coast green corridor is opening soon and I'm trying to take advantage of it and get a decent bike.

I would like a more lightweight bicycle. I recently acquired a Raleigh R9 MTB, which is supposed to weigh 13kg but feels heavier and it doesn't manoeuvre so well. 

I am hoping to get something lighter and where I sit more upright for some light cycling. I'm no MAMIL! hahah 

A hybrid bike, is fine, folding is a bonus. Budget 500 to a max of 999, but I rather not go so high. I prefer non 2nd hand, but if it's almost new, I'm open. 

Saw a $390 bike at Decathlon - not bad, just a tad heavy... Riverside 500? Something like that but lighter... 

How about the birds folding bike. Thinks it weights less than 12kg.

16 hours ago, therock said:

Seems like you are more or less fixed on getting a full-size bike instead of those 20" foldies. Riding those 20" foldie definitely less efficient than those 26/27.5/29" MTB/road bike/hybrid, but is more suitable for relax touring mode, so really depend on your preference. If you prefer to ride with your better half and want to chit chat along the rides, than foldies is a good option.

I not sure if you have owned road bike before, but be prepared for crashes if you getting road bike or hybrid. The narrow tyres allow much faster speed but prone to skid or fall due to even small debris on the road or sands when cornering. With a MTB, I feel much safer to enjoy the views on the road instead of staring at the road all the time for any potential debris that will get myself slo-mo views. 

And frankly, weight is not really so much of an issue unless for ego. Just get a MTB of around 12kg but with best parts you can get for the price ($1k?) u willing to pay. Common knowledge is to get lesser frame but better parts as the gears and chains will make better riding experience rather than weight alone. You can always remove those parts that are not so useful like front derailleur and front gear shifter to shave abit of weight. Of course if you willing to splurge, pay more to get the best of both world lah.

If I were to buy a new bike now and has $1k to spend, most likely I will buy a cheap alum frame and buy the higher end shimano parts like Deore/XT to mod myself.

16 hours ago, inlinesix said:

Rather than getting a new bike, just ride whatever you have for 6 mths.

If your stamina improves, get something better.

Less than 1 k and less than 10kg is difficult combination 

This is true. Lighter bikes come with higher price tag, inevitable. 14 kg seems carry-able though, in the gym, 14 kg dumbbell does not feel too tough to carry around [laugh]

8 minutes ago, Sosaria said:

This is true. Lighter bikes come with higher price tag, inevitable. 14 kg seems carry-able though, in the gym, 14 kg dumbbell does not feel too tough to carry around [laugh]

I have a 7.7kg Aluminium road bike.  Full price more than $3k.

I waited a long time for clearance sales.  Got it 20% cheaper.

• Praise 1

Get a giant bike [ not supermarket giant brand ] should be quite sufficient.. as u just doing quick runs.

Buying anything in the 1k range please lock it or bring it into your hone to avoid losing it 

15 hours ago, therock said:

Thanks bros for all the feedback thus far.

I had a wonderful foldable before, the Pacific Cycle 700C - bought it as my mid-life crisis buy.. haha. Cost me 3k but it was fast, light and nice to ride.. but it fell into disuse and I sold it a while back.. kind of regretted it...

Then I moved to a place where I have a park nearby so I'm keen to do some cycling. Not those 50-100km rides, but some cycling after work to keep my ticker working.

The r9 will give a workout, but I also want another bike which is lighter so my better half can also go riding. She doesn't like the smaller foldables, and would like something lighter that she can also use. So a 'medium' bike will suit.. oh and I forgot - it should have an adjustable seat height to suit both of us.

The Decathlon bike was nice, except the weight.. I heard there may be a lighter version on the way and that will be interesting.. 

Yes, we want many features and the budget isn't high. I went into a bike store along Pasir Panjang and I felt rather humbled. Nothing there was under 2k... then I went to Rodalink and the sales staff probably felt my budget was too low for them. Besides, the bikes weren't that light either...

I recently saw my 700C for 1.5k and I really feel tempted sometimes.. but that's a lot of money and my main exercise is swimming these days - less impact and strain, but I enjoy a ride or two... so I'm a bit conflicted, and will look around more

Ideally, I find a bike like the one which is out of stock in Decathlon, weighs 11kg, and is a hybrid. But it doesn't have an adjustable seat though and it's not on sale right now:

https://decathlon.com.au/products/triban-100-flat-bar-road-bike-275? 

Can try Giant brand MTB.

Great value for $$$. 

Giant is world largest bike manufacturer so can't really go wrong.

Their prices has also since increased due to Covid 19, affected by the whole value chain and demand. 

Luckily I bought my MTB at $500 before Circuit Breaker.

It's my "grocery" bike now... 

as I am cycling more on road bike in lycra😂

Edited by Atonchia

And I also cycle slightly faster now..... Not my bike became lighter..... But because I lost 3kg of lean muscle mass by cycling.... 😂

I need to do more anaerobic / calisthenics to get back lean muscle mass. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1