What tyres to fit for my rims?

q1n3fer

On 12/29/2020 at 10:57 PM, Theoldjaffa said:

My ex car was the IS200t

i changed to 18x8.5 ET35 front and 18x9.5 ET45 rear.

Fitted F1A3 235/40 front and 265/30 rear.

works fine and looks ok too.

5B50966A-1BE3-4808-A4E9-95558D46ABE1.jpeg

Looking good with those offsets! On coilovers?

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

22 minutes ago, Naimed said:

In summary, there is no “right answer” to the question of Staggered vs. Square. It comes down to personal preference, and in many cases there is merit to both. However, it’s more common for drivers to swap from a staggered to a square tire setup, both to change vehicle handling and performance, and to improve overall tire wear and life.

in other country i dun say .

in sg whether your car tyres and rim is staggered or not is not up to owner ma, unless u go zng and change.

those staggered conti come original staggered. how many owner even know their cars tyres is staggered when they brought the car.

it not an issue of which system is better , lol 

• Praise 1

Twincharged
58 minutes ago, Naimed said:

Yes and I am thinking of 2 main scenarios in local context (recent 5-10 years):

(a) AD chose to spec the car with larger rims in their local market (going from 16" factory square setup to 17" staggered setup) due to different trim packages or is this a factory top-down decision (marketing, profits, image...etc)?

(b) Sophisticated buyer now have many rims options to choose from when configuring their package or can even go for aftermarket wheels for aesthetic reasons.

So for (a), not sure if there are benefits in terms of driving feel, stability and dry/weather braking...etc for a lux family sedan or AD just want to "up-spec" because other competitors are doing so.

I found the stock rim sizes for some brands/makes in the same category (luxury 4D sedans, ~200hp)

https://www.ultimatespecs.com/car-specs/Lexus/13005/Lexus-IS-(II)-250-Luxury-Aut.html

1131791734_200hpluxsedanyr2010.jpg.2074c58c68ebd8cf8ed269e427a3c1c4.jpg

According to the web site below ( https://www.wheel-size.com/size/lexus/is/2008/ ), for Lexus IS250 - different markets received/indent different stock/base rim sizes (maybe due to different trim or package)

USDM specs

image.png.e86a98517e0cdc18ea08ebc2d50e016a.png

EUDM (probably the SG version)

image.png.75c1bc95615e1375838355198f8e6520.png

Some explanations on the Pros and Cons for Staggered vs Squared: https://www.tirebuyer.com/education/staggered-vs-square-tire-wheel-setups

Staggered

Staggered tire setups are perhaps most common with performance vehicles – for example, Chevy Corvette, Ford Mustang, BMW M3, Mercedes-AMG, Porsche 911, etc. In these vehicle applications, specific staggered tire setups are selected to deliver performance and particular handling balance/characteristics.

As mentioned earlier, staggered tire setups on performance vehicles can help to achieve a desired handling balance, but that balance isn’t necessarily all about outright grip and performance. Staggered tire setups can also encourage a level of handling safety and security.

Staggered tire setups with smaller width tires at the front axle generally produce understeer near the handling limit. Understeer, or a vehicle’s tendency to “push” through a corner, is considered a safer limit handling characteristic than oversteer, which is when the rear of the car breaks traction and moves around during aggressive cornering.

Squared

So in fact, to reduce understeer, neutralize, and optimize limit handling for many performance vehicles, experienced enthusiasts (and GT Sports Car race teams) often move from a staggered to a square tire setup. This is achieved by increasing the tire width at the front axle to equal the rear. Along with producing more front-end grip when cornering, a square tire setup can also positively influence high-speed stability. The front end of the car feels more “planted” because of the greater contact patch.

So what are the downsides to a square setup? When transitioning from a staggered to a square tire setup by increasing front axle tire width, drivers may perceive a decrease in responsiveness to steering inputs. Additionally, not everyone will necessarily find the increased front-end grip and altered handling dynamics comfortable or desirable.

Aside from optimizing performance in some vehicle applications and contexts, square tire setups have another, very practical advantage over staggered tire setups: Front-rear tire rotation, and therefore improved tire longevity. Especially if a vehicle is used in a performance context, the ability to flip front for rear tires, and vice-versa based upon wear rates, is a major practical (and economic!) advantage. And even if your car or truck is not used in performance environments, a square tire setup yields the same rotation and longevity advantages with standard long-term use.

In summary, there is no “right answer” to the question of Staggered vs. Square. It comes down to personal preference, and in many cases there is merit to both. However, it’s more common for drivers to swap from a staggered to a square tire setup, both to change vehicle handling and performance, and to improve overall tire wear and life.

It’s easier said than done, but experimenting with both staggered and square tire and wheel setups is the only way to know what’s preferable for you and your vehicle.

Your Lexus unique or rather a tad cheapo in that both front and rear uses the same rim size but staggered tire size. By right to support the tire well. You need to have 8.5in for a 245 tire. 

1 minute ago, Mkl22 said:

Your Lexus unique or rather a tad cheapo in that both front and rear uses the same rim size but staggered tire size. By right to support the tire well. You need to have 8.5in for a 245 tire. 

Maybe Lexus give owner the choice to go squared setup

7 hours ago, Mkl22 said:

If my Lexus comes with 16” rims (Camry?), I will be quite unhappy as well. However, my opinion is that most uncles who bought their Lexus/Merc/BMW/Audi/Infinity wouldn’t question or care if it’s a square or staggered setup. So long as it’s spec’d by factory or AD and it looks good, it’s the correct setup. 

• Praise 1

Best tyres in the world - can last 108,000km, with only 1 rotation.

Better than Tourador tyres, can last twice the mileage. #ALTyres

Screenshot_20210126-202609~2.png

Edited by Vinceng
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 1

14 hours ago, Vinceng said:

Best tyres in the world - can last 108,000km, with only 1 rotation.

Better than Tourador tyres, can last twice the mileage. #ALTyres

some of the advertisement is damn kua zhang. i wonder how can any driver believe it 😂

• Haha! 1