COE Bidding – January 2021

Carbon82

41 minutes ago, Spring said:

Cut quota u say is to raise COE prices as it’s good income for LTA. When increase quota, some will also say to get more income for LTA as well. Increase or decrease, LTA will always been accused of getting more income right?

I never heard of people complaining when LTA increased quota. 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 3

2 hours ago, Calvin8808 said:

In any case I still think COE is a necessary evil for Singapore. 

I agreed. I may be out of topic here but I have no issues with COE, I have issues with how VES rebates is given to dealers and not buyers themselves.

We all know how dealers jiak the rebates. 

• Praise 2

1 hour ago, Fcw75 said:

Complain as in they will say increase quota got agenda as need to reclaim revenue. 

Just like when govt dish out rebates, vouchers etc, the cynical will say give out from right hand but claim back from left hand. Can’t accept at face value what has been given but always thinking there is an agenda. 

• Praise 4

13 minutes ago, Spring said:

Complain as in they will say increase quota got agenda as need to reclaim revenue. 

Just like when govt dish out rebates, vouchers etc, the cynical will say give out from right hand but claim back from left hand. Can’t accept at face value what has been given but always thinking there is an agenda. 

Guess LTA must reclaim revenue lost in ERP, since they have suspended ERP for so long.

Edited by 13177

1 hour ago, kelaihoyin said:

I agreed. I may be out of topic here but I have no issues with COE, I have issues with how VES rebates is given to dealers and not buyers themselves.

We all know how dealers jiak the rebates. 

You have a choice, don't buy from them.

• Haha! 1

17 minutes ago, 13177 said:

Guess LTA must reclaim revenue lost in ERP, since they have suspended ERP for so long.

I take it at face value that when LTA reduce or increase quota, it’s determined by factual numbers n not decided by revenue figures.

Of course, COE revenue is useful, relevant n one of the biggest contributors. I suppose what LTA can do is to time the increase/decrease of COEs to “maximise revenue” but as I mentioned, I trust that this is not a factor in their consideration and they decide via facts.

The recent 3 mths CB where COE bidding was suspended and returned over the next 12 mths from July 2020 is an example. Could LTA hv returned the COEs over say 6 mths instead? I guess no one will ever be the wiser which period is the better one.

• Praise 4

3 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

I think in one of the COE thread few months back, there's news that quota is higher, then got people say LTA do that to create demand so more people will buy and COE price will go up. 

Not sure if anyone remember that?

That time I also comment something similar that announce news quota cut people complain and announce quota up people complain also.

Can any bros here remember that? Can't remember when but should be Aug/Sep onwards till Dec...

• Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Anyway COE prices are based on demand and supply. LTA now puts it at zero vehicle growth, which means its purely based on dereg number of vehicles. But as the population increase over the years, the number of people wanting to buy car would have increased as compared to 10 years ago. However, grab could have also lowered this so it could be a net effect. 

At the end of the day its not about lta want money or don't want money. Its simple demand and supply. Sometimes you got to step out from your micro view on things as a consumer, perhaps you'll whine less then.

• Praise 1

15 hours ago, 13177 said:

Grow up la. Seriously this kinda thinking is like from an angsty teenager.

• Praise 1

4 hours ago, Nudgedoink said:

Anyway COE prices are based on demand and supply. LTA now puts it at zero vehicle growth, which means its purely based on dereg number of vehicles. But as the population increase over the years, the number of people wanting to buy car would have increased as compared to 10 years ago. However, grab could have also lowered this so it could be a net effect. 

At the end of the day its not about lta want money or don't want money. Its simple demand and supply. Sometimes you got to step out from your micro view on things as a consumer, perhaps you'll whine less then.

Govt increased the population so obviously more people would want a car to transport their kids or elderly parents or both but yet they set at zero vehicle growth? 

23 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

Govt increased the population so obviously more people would want a car to transport their kids or elderly parents or both but yet they set at zero vehicle growth? 

Good point. One of the reasons why COE demand is always more than supply.

Hopefully with new mrt lines coming up, demand will be rise lesser or even reduce

25 minutes ago, Fcw75 said:

There are also more and more grab drivers so transportation for them is not an issue even at zero vehicle growth🤣

4 minutes ago, Ginyu said:

There are also more and more grab drivers so transportation for them is not an issue even at zero vehicle growth🤣

You mean more and more Singaporeans driving grab? 😅

17 minutes ago, Lotr said:

Good point. One of the reasons why COE demand is always more than supply.

Hopefully with new mrt lines coming up, demand will be rise lesser or even reduce

Don’t forget grab do not allow any more than 10 years old car to be use from July 2022 too.

Then got this too:

Uber may have left S'pore, but its unused cars are still here
https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/uber-may-have-left-but-its-unused-cars-are-still-here-and-many-are-in-cold

Edited by Fcw75

2 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

You mean more and more Singaporeans driving grab? 😅

Unfortunately  yes. Just look around. The last known grab population around 80k, the figures  are expected to rise rapidly 🤣

2 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Don’t forget grab do not allow any more than 10 years old car to be use from July 2022 too.

Then got this too:

https://www.straitstimes.com/singapore/transport/uber-may-have-left-but-its-unused-cars-are-still-here-and-many-are-in-cold

Cannot read the full article. 😅 But cars left from uber until today still around?! Thought should have clear off by now liao? Parked for so long, those cars also gone case liao. 😂

6 hours ago, Fcw75 said:

Then got this too:

This will be a big problem later on. Many in their 50s and above have difficulties in securing jobs if not they won’t even be driving grab. They need their old car to earn a living. Obviously they cannot afford a brand new one 

↡ Advertisement