2020 Mitsubishi Attrage (Part 2)

Jamesc

17 hours ago, auto1701 said:

Yes lah...as long as on good synthetic oil. I have done 25k on my previous cars and no issue. In fact, some British was telling me they run much longer.  However, for optimal performance, I think  should keep it under 15k km. While the oil and additives may last, the filter can get clogged up first. 

But I have to remind that if your car is under warranty, OEM may void it if you do not follow their regime.

Filter clogged? Inside must have alot of metal sai (residue) that can clog an oil filter 🤣

I never come across a clogged filter. Was the British an experienced cook that he was explaining how good his cooking oil was? 

↡ Advertisement

48 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

He scrapped a Hyundai Accent.

Autobox must change at least at 40k km and he drove above 100k with zero changes.

:D

Now we know if Hyundai Accent, can no need change at 40k and can change at 100k  !!   

Twincharged
25 minutes ago, Unfazed said:

errrr.....at which km interval ah? Top drain and refill? Wasteful lah, inside still got EO why drain and waste it? Use gao gao to max, better still, see if EO will evaporate or engine will makan EO anot cos more logical, something must be consumed in the process to make it worthwhile, right? So, best is just topped and let it go on and on and on and on. 😖😆

VW got famous oil burning.... just top up can liao... never need to change oil then😁

Twincharged
18 hours ago, auto1701 said:

Yes lah...as long as on good synthetic oil. I have done 25k on my previous cars and no issue. In fact, some British was telling me they run much longer.  However, for optimal performance, I think  should keep it under 15k km. While the oil and additives may last, the filter can get clogged up first. 

But I have to remind that if your car is under warranty, OEM may void it if you do not follow their regime.

don't trust the british la. their JLR are all rubbish. has been rubbish for years and still rubbish now.

4 minutes ago, Kklee said:

Now we know if Hyundai Accent, can no need change at 40k and can change at 100k  !!   

Yup if driving till scrap and won't reach 100k km

save your money and don't change gearbox oil.

:grin:

My own MIL car 1 year to scrap

I also didn't bother to change the brake pads.

Why waste money right?

23 minutes ago, Unfazed said:

errrr.....at which km interval ah? Top drain and refill? Wasteful lah, inside still got EO why drain and waste it? Use gao gao to max, better still, see if EO will evaporate or engine will makan EO anot cos more logical, something must be consumed in the process to make it worthwhile, right? So, best is just topped and let it go on and on and on and on. 😖😆

IMHO.
My previous experience,  the EO will become thicker.  The EO level will also increase i.e. if it was at the full mark,  it will go higher.  
If the engine helps to consume the EO,  that is so much better,  just top up will do ! 

Of course if you buy those EO with extended mileage,  if you believe it,  then there is no need to change. 

Also,  it is based on  the assumption that the engine oil change cycle is 10k/6months based on the operating condition of the car.
I had said that, it is likely in SG that cars operates to at the 10k/6months and not 5k/3months.

IIRC,  my previous experience,  I estimated that EO at best will last to about 7500km based on lab test. 

The oil filter issues can be mitigated by using magnets on the filter as well as the on the oil drain plug. 
Also, consideration has to be taken if the thickening of the engine oil will result in poorer fuel economy. 

8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

Yup if driving till scrap and won't reach 100k km

save your money and don't change gearbox oil.

:grin:

My own MIL car 1 year to scrap

I also didn't bother to change the brake pads.

Why waste money right?

Can consider to use handbrake ?   That one rarely use. 

2 minutes ago, Kklee said:

Can consider to use handbrake ?   That one rarely use. 

That one also spoilt and I also didn't bother to repair it as scraping.

When she park on a hill, my MIL will just put a brick under the wheel.

4 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

That one also spoilt and I also didn't bother to repair it as scraping.

When she park on a hill, my MIL will just put a brick under the wheel.

Come clean.  Which are the working things ?
I imagine the not working list is longer ...... 

10 minutes ago, Kklee said:

Come clean.  Which are the working things ?
I imagine the not working list is longer ...... 

The accelerator working well but sometimes stick a bit in the WOT position.

• Haha! 1

13 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
My previous experience,  the EO will become thicker.  The EO level will also increase i.e. if it was at the full mark,  it will go higher.  
If the engine helps to consume the EO,  that is so much better,  just top up will do ! 

Of course if you buy those EO with extended mileage,  if you believe it,  then there is no need to change. 

Also,  it is based on  the assumption that the engine oil change cycle is 10k/6months based on the operating condition of the car.
I had said that, it is likely in SG that cars operates to at the 10k/6months and not 5k/3months.

IIRC,  my previous experience,  I estimated that EO at best will last to about 7500km based on lab test. 

The oil filter issues can be mitigated by using magnets on the filter as well as the on the oil drain plug. 
Also, consideration has to be taken if the thickening of the engine oil will result in poorer fuel economy. 

EO become thicker and level increase? so when thicker 1 liter gonna become 1.5 liter? Inside engine dunno got enough space anot for the increased level? Yes good engine consume EO and EO with extended mileage, of cos no need to change mah? What is there to change when a good engine consumes almost all the EO, all we need to just top up, right? Change what? 🤷‍♀️🤣

With those EO said to last extended mileage till dunno how many kkk km....10k/6mths so wasted! 

7.5k km? Then can we tear down those brand name of EO claim extended mileage, 7.5k km sooner than AD stated 10k km interval even if we dun abide the 6 mth interval. So which is which, so confusing one, 7.5k km or 25 k km, or dun change at all? Just top cheaper for me. Save must save till last bit of juice also drip out lah.

After all the cost saving measure I follow, I still kena poor fuel economy...sigh 🤣

8 minutes ago, Jamesc said:

The accelerator working well but sometimes stick a bit in the WOT position.

I encountered before.  Not so scary once you get used to it.  😎

• Haha! 1

11 minutes ago, Unfazed said:

EO become thicker and level increase? so when thicker 1 liter gonna become 1.5 liter? Inside engine dunno got enough space anot for the increased level? Yes good engine consume EO and EO with extended mileage, of cos no need to change mah? What is there to change when a good engine consumes almost all the EO, all we need to just top up, right? Change what? 🤷‍♀️🤣

With those EO said to last extended mileage till dunno how many kkk km....10k/6mths so wasted! 

7.5k km? Then can we tear down those brand name of EO claim extended mileage, 7.5k km sooner than AD stated 10k km interval even if we dun abide the 6 mth interval. So which is which, so confusing one, 7.5k km or 25 k km, or dun change at all? Just top cheaper for me. Save must save till last bit of juice also drip out lah.

After all the cost saving measure I follow, I still kena poor fuel economy...sigh 🤣

IMHO.
Not until 50%.  I estimate around 5%.
If they design this type of engine, that is the best.  No need to go workshop, every time just top up ! 

It is not confusing.  It is either 10k/6months or 5k/3months.  Check your owner's manual.  
I am in-between and it sort of correspond to the  lab tested used engine oil sample.  

If you post your cost saving measures in a separate thread,  more people can chip in. 😎

Edited by Kklee

Twincharged
38 minutes ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.

never heard of thickening of engine oil. usually it the thinning of the oil. if engine oil increase then it is excessive fuel dilution or head gaskets.

1 hour ago, Mkl22 said:

never heard of thickening of engine oil. usually it the thinning of the oil. if engine oil increase then it is excessive fuel dilution or head gaskets.

IMHO.
The thickening is due to the usage of incorrect engine oil. 

5 hours ago, Unfazed said:

Actually, all I am saying is 25K is doable, not that it is the norm and I did mention some of the Brits I met told me they change every 30-40K although I do not recommend it. For my old Starlet, I used to change the engine oil myself every 20K. Bought the filter and filter removal tool for that purpose. Was also a time when mechanics will happily take your used engine oil because they can be sold. Nowadays cannot liao. Anyway, for my old Sephia, Spectra and Cerato, I used Mobil 1 and change oil every 15-20K. But once I was not able to find the time to go to the mechanic and ended up driving up to 24,500km before I went for my oil change. No issue that I can observe and the used oil filter is not clogged yet.

BTW, the engine oil itself does not change with usage. It is the additives added in the oil to clean your engine that will deteriorate and burn out and leave debris which is filtered away by the oil filter. If you drive your car long enough without oil change, the filter eventually gets clogged up and the engine internally will start to get dirty. That is why it is possible for recyclers to filter the oil to remove the additive and then add new additives.  

For the Attrage, due to the 10 free servicings, have been going for my servicing every 6 months since not use will just be wasted. But during covid, damn hard to clock the mileage. Ended up going for servicing after only 6000km 🙂

Today I learnt alot of things to save my pocket... Our EO very strong n can last long long. 6k, 15k, 20k 25k km all no issues, not important one. Cos choose a good EO, EO thicker also just expand 5 percent nia, better still, u get more oil to lub ur engine. Our engine can't talk and no legs, won't shout tolong to us nor will drop and run away cos all it needs is EO to use gao gao. Lotsa EO Co. jin cham, gonna close shop liao. Lagi worse, now hardcore promo use of EV. I m gonna skip my next free svc interval, tell AD I help them save cost. I feel good as a good consumer. 😉

• Haha! 2

3 hours ago, Kklee said:

IMHO.
The thickening is due to the usage of incorrect engine oil. 

👏👏👏Guru spotted 😂 And it is just his "IMHO" aka I'm ho 👍😂

Edited by Unfazed
↡ Advertisement
  • Haha! 1