Jump to content
Join us at the SGCM Arcade Drive and win up to $27,000 discounts from Volkswagen and ŠKODA! Read more... ×
Playtime

studying IT in singapore.

Recommended Posts

Turbocharged

hmmm.... tot this belonged in ceca section.... but strangely... the word ceca cannot be searched in forum liao??....

 

 

 

anyway.. with the proliferation of CECA in the IT industry, to the point i hardly see locals when i go for meetings.... except in govt related issues.

Why studying IT in singapore needs this kinda grades when one can easily uptron up some friends and neighbours? How to bring back the singapore core when the system is seemingly excluding the majority?...

cant help wondering....

1) Why train more when can just outsource to uptron easily?

2) Why kpkb cannot find locals when you set standards like that?

 

http://nus.edu.sg/oam/undergraduate-programmes/indicative-grade-profile-(igp)

 

image.thumb.png.3e913e5469cfd09c5530c49b99b6a3cb.png

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 4
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha! 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic

From the current trend, studying IT at uni level is irrelevant. 

I saw the recent news on a young fellow who startup an app company is under 20yo. He's doing NS, applied to NUS to study business and run his company. Yeah he applied to study business. LoL...

By the time you graduate from IT studies at uni level will your studies be outdated? I think it's obvious why standards are set so high. The standard has either to be high to compete with top foreigners or high enough so that you wont become too irrelevant by the time you graduate.

To me it's not wrong for them to set the standard so high. It obviously has to be high.

How many startup millionaires or billionaires have a relevant degree actually?

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged

Study IT in uni to work under IT firm with bosses that don even have relevant certificate...

In today world is unlike 30 to 20 years ago where everyone need to go thru academic education.. today with the internet you can learn anything u want.. just whether you WANT or not.. you wanna learn Python there's so many youtube to choose from.. even I am learning Advance Excel through Indian Teacher in youtube.. 

Basically can skip the education FACTORY.. you can still or need to attend school but during free time can learn other skills via internet..

  • Praise 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
1 hour ago, Playtime said:

hmmm.... tot this belonged in ceca section.... but strangely... the word ceca cannot be searched in forum liao??....

anyway.. with the proliferation of CECA in the IT industry, to the point i hardly see locals when i go for meetings.... except in govt related issues.

Why studying IT in singapore needs this kinda grades when one can easily uptron up some friends and neighbours? How to bring back the singapore core when the system is seemingly excluding the majority?...

cant help wondering....

1) Why train more when can just outsource to uptron easily?

2) Why kpkb cannot find locals when you set standards like that?

 

At least 2 generations of Singaporeans were screwed up by this. It takes extremely good grades to get into Comp Science during my time and guess what the graduates are working as mostly; non IT roles.

We have good quality IT Singaporeans decades ago and the only explanation is people in the ivory tower lost touch with the ground leading to your point 1) and 2).

  • Praise 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged

You need connection when the industry is under certain sector controlled. Not only IT just that it the the worst profession now due to known reasons. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

I think go creative work for uncle sim

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hypersonic

Just go India and get a cert from this school

and hello to $67,000 a month salary then buy a 1.5 million condo.

:grin:

image.thumb.png.b58195997bac97ac893e39e7082a9a03.png

  • Praise 1
  • Haha! 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4th Gear (edited)
7 hours ago, Windwaver said:

It takes extremely good grades to get into Comp Science during my time

I never quite understood why this was the case.

Admission criteria to CS are just as restrictive as law & medicine.

Medicine I can understand, as it's a highly resource intensive course of study, so you have to limit the intake somewhat.

However, CS is book study mostly & PC's aren't expensive. You're not buying supercomputers for every class.

CS has been part of a 30-40 year megatrend & its significance is obvious. There's hard science involved in CS. AI, Crypto, security, high performance computing, distributed & parallel systems, quantum computing etc. CS graduates aren't just "programmers" - nor are they tied into any particular flavour of the month technology.

I guess the government didn't foresee a lot of jobs for CS graduates & thus limited the intake.

After all, a lot of tech work here is fairly pedestrian corporate IT, where IT is mostly seen as a cost centre.

However, high tech innovation definitely suffers from lack of CS graduates!

Edited by CremornePt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic

People have the misconception that IT is all about programming, networking, web design or assembling a PC with parts. Those are all the low level stuff that CECA is here to fill. IT is much much much more than that. There are big data, AI, computational finance, automation, fault tolerance, etc... it is a huge field that is limitless.

To anyone considering a career in IT, if you are just looking to do the low level stuff, do not bother going into the field. That is for all the CECA to fill up. You can't fight with them in ability, experience and pay. Go for innovation and look beyond the usual stuff. That is why Comp Sci require such high grades.

  • Praise 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hypersonic (edited)

Hmm don't think comp science required stellar grades by my time.

Medicine, Dentistry, Chem Engine, Law probably bah.
Comp Engine is one tier below that. Comp Science roughly similar

My wife is from school of computing. 

Edited by Lala81

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
2 hours ago, Lala81 said:

Hmm don't think comp science required stellar grades by my time.

Medicine, Dentistry, Chem Engine, Law probably bah.
Comp Engine is one tier below that. Comp Science roughly similar

My wife is from school of computing. 

Last time is different. Comp science was not so popular and that was even before ceca influx. Arts and soc sci was the last resort for the buay tak chek types [laugh]

Fast forward to today. Comp science popularity is up partly thanks to govt hype and emphasis on coding, big data and analytics. Engineering is now the dumping ground for those who have little choice. And Arts soc sci ... you can go ahead check if you don't believe.. one of the most popular and hard-to-enter courses.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4th Gear
3 hours ago, Vid said:

People have the misconception that IT is all about programming, networking, web design or assembling a PC with parts.

Exactly - major misconception.

Even much of the corporate IT stuff (admin systems, ecommerce, SAP, trading systems etc)  is completely commoditised and can be done by any competent "IT worker".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
8 hours ago, Mustank said:

I think go creative work for uncle sim

Who?

That electrician on the leaky LST ah?

 

  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supersonic
9 hours ago, Sosaria said:

Last time is different. Comp science was not so popular and that was even before ceca influx. Arts and soc sci was the last resort for the buay tak chek types [laugh]

Fast forward to today. Comp science popularity is up partly thanks to govt hype and emphasis on coding, big data and analytics. Engineering is now the dumping ground for those who have little choice. And Arts soc sci ... you can go ahead check if you don't believe.. one of the most popular and hard-to-enter courses.

Hahaha... the tide has turned! Indeed, during my time, Electronics Engineering was the most popular Engineering choice. Most of these Electronics Engineers/Technologists are now either selling insurance/property or driving taxis. 

  • Angry 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha! 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Supercharged
14 minutes ago, Kangadrool said:

Hahaha... the tide has turned! Indeed, during my time, Electronics Engineering was the most popular Engineering choice. Most of these Electronics Engineers/Technologists are now either selling insurance/property or driving taxis. 

yah i was eliminated back in 2008 financial crisis.. made the switch to hospitality and dunno will need to switch again boh if this pandemic persist..

  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Turbocharged
21 hours ago, Watwheels said:

From the current trend, studying IT at uni level is irrelevant. 

I saw the recent news on a young fellow who startup an app company is under 20yo. He's doing NS, applied to NUS to study business and run his company. Yeah he applied to study business. LoL...

By the time you graduate from IT studies at uni level will your studies be outdated? I think it's obvious why standards are set so high. The standard has either to be high to compete with top foreigners or high enough so that you wont become too irrelevant by the time you graduate.

To me it's not wrong for them to set the standard so high. It obviously has to be high.

How many startup millionaires or billionaires have a relevant degree actually?

Quite true. Because our studies are generic in nature so that No one gets hurt forecasting the tech. 

Example, there are so many cloud flavours out there. Going with one and not the others would deem unfair practice.

Yet the CECA community does it so well.. I wonder how they do it.

So as an example, MQ and clover messaging and other messaging tech, not many singaporean will be able to say they heard of it. Yet ask any other non Singaporean, they will tell you its a old tech and they did it many years ago.

Just like a resurgence of AS400. RPG , some banks are hiring .. but none are familiar and they paying big bucks for it to the extend of hiring and reskilling ...

 

 

↡ Advertisement
  • Praise 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×